• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Global Warming May Be Bad for Asthma Sufferers

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
http://www.enn.com/today.html?id=12458

OSLO -- Global warming may be bad for asthma sufferers because of longer plant growing seasons and signs that weeds scattering vast amounts of pollen are conquering new territory, experts say. But higher temperatures might bring benefits for some sufferers because house mites and viruses that thrive in winter in centrally heated homes will not flourish if people do not need to use their heat systems.
By spring, pollen has been in the air for months in the northern hemisphere even in countries where snows bring a winter respite from coughing and wheezing for allergics.
In south Sweden, for instance, hazel trees have been flowering since December.
"In the United States the incidence of asthma is up nearly four times since 1980," said Paul Epstein, Associate Director of the Center for Health and the Global Environment at Harvard Medical School.
"No one has really been looking at the aerobiology dimension (such as pollen). But I think it helps account for it," he said. Other triggers range from mites and dust to viruses and food.
And any warming may make things worse, he told Reuters.
A draft U.N. climate report due for release on April 6 says that plant growing seasons have become longer because of a warming trend blamed on human burning of fossil fuels.
It says that the world's agricultural potential is likely to rise, especially in temperate countries, if temperatures rise by up to 3 Celsius (5.4 Fahrenheit). Above that level, farm potential will fall in all regions.
"The pollen season will probably last almost all around the year" even in southern Scandinavia, said Aslog Dahl, of the Botaniska Analysgruppen at Sweden's Gothenburg University. Hazel trees have flowered three times before New Year in the region in modern times, all in the past six years.
BEECH, BIRCH
Long-term effects on human health could be mixed.
Big pollen producers such as American ragweed were getting a foothold in southern Scandinavia. But tree species such as beech, which do not flower every year, were growing better and might push annually flowering birch forests north.
Epstein ran a study showing that ragweed, for instance, produced 60 percent more pollen if grown with double the normal concentration of the greenhouse gas carbon dioxide. At the same time, the stalks grew just 10 percent more.
"Warming is touted as good for agriculture, but weeds may be reacting disproportionately fast," he said. "This is an issue with great importance for human health and agricultural yields."
But Britain's GlaxoSmithKline PLc , one of the world's top drugmakers, said there were fewer than usual visits to U.S. doctors by patients seeking its Advair asthma drug in the winter. The drug is marketed as Seretide in Europe.
"It was a mild winter and there were fewer physician visits for asthma as a result," said Gwenam White of Glaxo. She said asthma was often triggered by viral infections caused by house dust mites.
Source: Reuters

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
If GW is bad for everyone, wouldn't it go without saying that it would be bad for asthma sufferers???

Jut what I was thinking.

I did read somewhere (not long ago, but I forget where) that allergies - such as asthma can be helped by eating honey made from whatever it is that is setting off the asthma.

In other words, by eating honey made from wax made by the bees ingesting whatever it is that you are alergic to, you are building up an immunity and tollerance.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
If GW is bad for everyone, wouldn't it go without saying that it would be bad for asthma sufferers???

Some might find the information
in the article interesting or useful about how global warming specifically affects asthma sufferers. I'm sorry you don't.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Jut what I was thinking.

I did read somewhere (not long ago, but I forget where) that allergies - such as asthma can be helped by eating honey made from whatever it is that is setting off the asthma.

In other words, by eating honey made from wax made by the bees ingesting whatever it is that you are alergic to, you are building up an immunity and tollerance.
Asthma isn't ann allergy per se, it's an overreaction by the respiratory system. It can caused by allergens, but you don't have to have allergies to get asthma.
I've gone off and had allergen tests, and I'm mildly allergic to chrysanthemums and - as I found out one day when I broke out in spots while on it - penicillin. That's it.I occasionally get hayfever, but that doesn't necessarily trigger asthma as a matter of course.
Mind you, if I go sniff the pepper grinder right now and sneeze as a result, my bronchial tubes will immediately start waving their virtual little arms around frantically and scream,'Danger, Will Robinson!'
Humidity leaves me with a constant low grade wheeze. Put me in the middle of a desert or a refrigerated environment - say 5 degrees C or lower - and I'm good for as long as you want to leave me there. I go stay with my dad for a holiday where he lives in a nice dry heat, and I can gaurantee I won't need to look at reliever medication for the duration of the stay.
There's lots of things that trigger asthma, and lots of things being blamed for why the incidence of it is on the increase.
This could well be another factor (it's certainly good news for the makers of hayfever medication:p ) but it goes in the basket with increased pollution, overuse of anti bacterial cleaners, kids eating too much overprocessed food and sitting inside in front of a box too much instead of out making mud pies and getting filthy and germ ridden on a daily basis.