• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Global Britain

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
After Brexit we were promised "Global Britain"

What Britain now is is a laughing stock with such role models as Prince Andrew, Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Jason Rees-Mogg ... I could go on

I am embarrassed to be British, although to be honest it is mainly an English problem.

I agree,Andrew will be cut off and sink if found guilty (I think most believe he is),Bojo has has to go too but how can you be embarrassed by 2 people out of 76 million?,Britain isn’t a laughing stock at all.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
After Brexit we were promised "Global Britain"

What Britain now is is a laughing stock with such role models as Prince Andrew, Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Jason Rees-Mogg ... I could go on

I am embarrassed to be British, although to be honest it is mainly an English problem.
I think a ship takes time to make a turn. Brexit has just barely changed course.

anna.

but mostly it's the same
Has the Farting Trumpet returned to his home planet in the Naff Nebulous?

No he's still desperately trying to maintain relevance and he's fading even while MAGA/QAnon rolls on without him. History will show that without meaning to, Twitter saved us.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
The wording on the UK Gov Page is ...

Apply for a GHIC
A GHIC lets you get medically necessary state healthcare in Europe at a reduced cost or sometimes for free.

If your EHIC is still in date, you do not need to apply for a new GHIC.

They’re both valid if you’re travelling to an EU country or, if you’re eligible, in Switzerland.

So if we apply for a new health card, it may be free ... but may not be.

Because in some countries healthcare is free (Scandinavia, Italy, Spain) and in other countries it is not.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I agree,Andrew will be cut off and sink if found guilty (I think most believe he is),Bojo has has to go too but how can you be embarrassed by 2 people out of 76 million?,Britain isn’t a laughing stock at all.
I'm embarrased to say which country I'm from. I go to Scotland regularly, when they hear my accent, I have to say, "I voted Remain, I hate the Tories"

RestlessSoul

List me the benefits of Brexit that after 5 and a half years are coming to pass.

Please use a separate page if you need it...

Well now. To play devil's advocate, because I certainly didn't want us to leave; I've always been pretty relaxed about immigration too. But the constant supply of cheap labour from Eastern Europe over the last decade or so, has allowed the bad employers to undercut the good. Now that the labour supply has slowed, employers have had to rethink their strategies, increase wages, and start treating their existing staff with a bit more respect. So there has already been that palpable benefit for working class people, from which members of my own family have profited.

Then there's the reduction in the cost of private rental tenancies in London, which means that for the first time in a generation, young Londoners can actually afford to set up home in the city they were born in. I don't know how or if that's reflected in the rest of the country, but another thing I've noticed is a lot more Geordie and Welsh accents in the capital than recently; I can only assume this means it's once again economically viable - though not ideal - for people from economically depressed regions in the UK, to come here for work during the week, and return home at the weekends. Again, the unlimited supply of cheap labour from Eastern Europe, had previously priced out tradesmen from places like NE England.

So let's have it right. I see all the downsides to Brexit, including the beaurocratic aggravation it has caused my French partner. But there are things to be put on the other page of the ledger. Lastly, I advise anyone tempted to romanticise the EU and it's institutions, to read Yanis Varoufakis' account of the Greek debt crisis, Adults In The Room. That'll soon disabuse the reader of any notion of the EU as it exists in practice, being a family of nations.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Ah...btw...
British citizens can still live in the EU.
Mick Jagger lives here so...

Brexit harmed no British citizen.
Where did you get the idea from that citizens of third party states cannot live in EU countries?

Of course, they need residence permits, which is trivial to get if you're a millionair (almost any EU country has special residency and citizenship provisions for celebrities and "investors").
So the UK really showed all those millionaire elites what's what didn't it?

Last edited: