• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Glimpses of reality

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Glimpses of reality

The universe is a fathomless mystery
Or at least that is the way it appears to me
Galaxies, black holes, space, time and stars
Kittens and babies and fruit stored in jars

Some see the universe as a single thought
A moment of inspiration from some divine source
Those cosmologists tell us it continues to grow
Some of its secrets we just may never know

I often look up into the sky late at night
Watching each star as it sends down its light
This light may have traveled for billions of years
To reach my eyes which rest between my ears

I can get lost in wonder at this infinite view
There must be some nights you feel this way too
I picture a distant figure doing the same
Maybe one day he will call out my name

The universe within is at least as fantastic
Brain, heart and lungs and skin that's elastic
This skin is stretched tight over our muscles and bones
Allowing us to walk, talk and use mobile phones

Skin is also waterproof which is really quite neat
Otherwise we'd have trouble swimming or washing our feet
The great thing about skin is we each have just enough
To cover and protect all of that soft, tender inner stuff

Millions of chemicals sustain each of our lives
Just treat it right and your body thrives
Give it some water, food and the sun's rays
It should last you till the end of your earthly days

Miles upon miles of arteries and veins
Delivering oxygen right into our brains
This gas is part of the air that we breathe
Giving us one more reason to admire trees

Other plants grow in the ground beneath our feet
Which is just as well or we'd have nothing to eat
They grow by mixing sunlight, water and earth
Fuelling our bodies and adding to our mirth

Our biggest mysteries are things we can't measure
Human gifts and abilities which we rightly treasure
Ideas, genius, creativity and imagination
Art, music, and literature all spark fascination

The thoughts in this poem are a mystery too
Are they all mine or do some belong to you
I'd hate to take all the credit for myself
To do so may not be good for my health

Countless miracles around and inside us each day
Rarely do we choose that we'll see them this way
There is a place for logical, rational, linear thought
If we focus solely on it we just might get caught

Consumed by battles which need not be fought
Seeking satisfaction in things sold and bought
Defending these items like soldiers in a fort
We may find our endeavours have come to naught

This little poem really could go on for many days
There are so many things I could mention with praise
But in this crazy world where we push and we shove
The deepest mystery of them all is this thing we call love

David T

Premium Member
Nicely written.

The mystery of life is not a something to be explained but a something to experience. And if that happens, one must through hard work find their own voice in that. Art, like, grace, comes through hard work, and its very hard work to paint the mystery of life meaningfully.

Last edited:

Nimos

Glimpses of reality
Think about this for a moment:

As we know time is relative, so it depend on speed and acceleration. So if we take two identical watches and throw one of them in a spaceship and keep the other one on Earth. Now we accelerate the spaceship and let it go around Earth at the speed of light for a few days and then bring it back to Earth, then the watch will show a different time than the one on Earth, in fact it will be behind. So time have passed more slowly for the watch in the spaceship than the watch here on Earth. Now that is pretty weird, in it self.

But lets try to make it slightly more weird. Since that is true for the watches, its also true for us as humans. Even though we all perceive time equally here on Earth, we are actually living in different realities, your "now" is not my "now". the difference is simply so small than we don't perceive it as such. So now we are going to screw it up even more. So I put you in a spaceship and fire you into space at the speed of light. Now time is really going slow for you, so I age much faster than you. But my past is also changing compared to yours as I have more years of it. But it haven't happened for you yet as it haven't caught up with you. So when you finally reach your destination nothing really seems to have changed a lot for you, but I would have been long dead. And your perception of reality as you remember it, also doesn't exist anymore, but is in fact the past and not something that happened yesterday but maybe 100 of years ago, depending on how long you have been travelling for.

So lets make it even stranger. Now you arrive at you destination and encounter an alien race, which turns out to be humans from Earth, having developed faster than light space travel or wormhole technology and therefore reached the destination faster than you did, so basically you traveled into the future of humanity. So now your understanding of reality is completely screwed :D

Last edited:

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Nicely written.

The mystery of life is not a something to be explained but a something to experience. And if that happens, one must through hard work find their own voice in that. Art, like, grace, comes through hard work, and its very hard work to paint the mystery of life meaningfully.

Glad you appreciated my little poem. Just popped into my head the other day - I forget what I was doing at the time ...

Here's a few more thoughts on the "mystery" of life -

41 Quotes On Mystery - John Paul Caponigro – Digital Photography Workshops, DVDs, eBooks

Thanks again!

David T

Premium Member
Glad you appreciated my little poem. Just popped into my head the other day - I forget what I was doing at the time ...

Here's a few more thoughts on the "mystery" of life -

41 Quotes On Mystery - John Paul Caponigro – Digital Photography Workshops, DVDs, eBooks

Thanks again!
I love thaose quotes. I come here just to mock everyones answers!!! Occasionally bammo awesomess. Well done

Btw mystery is really really at the heart and core if great art great religion great science great everything. .

“I think it’s much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of uncertainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure of anything and there are many things I don’t know anything about, such as whether it means anything to ask why we’re here. I don’t have to know an answer. I don’t feel frightened not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell.” ― Richard P. Feynman OK

Of course the the word purpose doesnt apply to the universe, that word is for us mere mortals. Our purpose? To seek after the mystery. Silly fellow humans its easy!!! Ha.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I love thaose quotes. I come here just to mock everyones answers!!! Occasionally bammo awesomess. Well done

Btw mystery is really really at the heart and core if great art great religion great science great everything. .

You can't mock me - I have no ego to be mocked! Ha Ha!!

Seriously though ... I am pleased to have boosted your mood with a few quotes and mysteries ... at-the-risk-of-really-labouring-the-point ... check-out these -

Inspirational articles from Living Life Fully

If you don't love that site then you are just not being open to the mysteries of human existence! :)

All the best!