• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Glenn Beck vs. Sam Webb:The Spectre of McCarthyism (Communist Only)

Laika

Premium Member
I saw this and thought it was worth sharing for a number of reasons. Its a televised "debate" between Glenn Beck and Sam Webb, the chairman of the Communist Party USA (2000-2014). I think this was from 2009. Whatever I may think about the CPUSA, this was a very ballsy move given that Glenn Beck is nothing but hostile towards Communism in America (both real and imagined). And thats before you realise..."holy ****- this is on Fox News!"

Under the circumstances, Webb did well to get a word in and not let Beck simply dominate the conversation (at least all the way through). Its also a very telling example of how poor the level of discussion is when it comes to Communism as Americans are still living with the intellectual legacy of the Red Scare and the moral panic of McCarthyism. Some of the most common "pseudo-arguments" against Communism are on display as well along with Becks red-baiting against Obama. There is a significant difference between reasoned anti-communism that can stand up to a debate on equal terms and the majority of anti-communist arguments that are often scare tactics realying on selective use of evidence, gross generalisation, over-simplication when they arent openly counter-factual. The video highlights the intellectual crudity and brutality of the latter.

Honestly, Its unpleasant viewing but this is still what a large group of people think is acceptable as a way to "discuss" Communism with Communists. Any thoughts on how we can get past the sort of barriers people erect to discussing Communism on rational terms and get past the moral panic?