• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Glad so see so many Presbyterians here--ahem

quick

I see no postings by Presbyterians. As a member of the PCA (Presbyterian Church in America), I would enjoy hearing from some of you. I used to be an elder with a PC(USA) church but left the denomination over some doctrinal issues.

How about you?

quick-- I used to go with my dad to Church every Sunday at Presbyterian churches. However, my dad refused to join the church as an official member because of their soft stance against abortion.....he felt that the reason the Presbyterian church refused to take a harder stance against abortion was because the church simply wanted more members.

Was this an issue for you as well?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
My mom and 2 of my sisters are Presbyterian. My dad attends church on ocassion with them, but he is not a member.

quick

Mr_Spinkles said:
quick-- I used to go with my dad to Church every Sunday at Presbyterian churches. However, my dad refused to join the church as an official member because of their soft stance against abortion.....he felt that the reason the Presbyterian church refused to take a harder stance against abortion was because the church simply wanted more members.

Was this an issue for you as well?

The biggest Prebyterian denomination, the PC(USA), has been going "non-Biblical" on many issues: homosexuality, Biblical inerrancy, exclusivity of salvation through Christ, the cause of evil in the world, the role of women in ordained ministry, etc. However, there are still many fine Christians in the denomination, but I do think it has chosen to compromise on many principals, to its detriment.

Zeke316

The problem with having a specific catagory for Presbyterians is the believers in the Scriptures are lumped into the group that has NO convictions of sin or unbiblical doctrine. The PCA would be the group that is evangelical but the majority of Presbyterians are very liberal and will 'give away the store' in order to have peace. They have very little conviction against the moral issues of the day.....Sad but true.

anders

I think that there are no Presbyterians in Sweden or neighbouring countries, so you won't see me here.

Hey guys,

I'm not a member of the church, but I attend a Presby church and have for some time. I think alot of our members are not the type to be on forums like these, especially cause our church appeals to many people because of its 'practicality' and apparent modern day connection. That's why my family attends at least. Are your experiences the same though, regarding member base?

hopper

twinkle toes
What? A fellow PCAer joins up and misses quick by 5 months, and other posters by 21/2. Well, sorry to have missed you. I may not be in here much either, but I'll try to adequately represent our small contingent as I post.

-the hopper

Solly

Fides Quærens Intellectum
No Presbyterians in England either, and the ones in Scotland are of a different order to Aemrican ones, I think.
I know a PCUSA minister in Grosse Isle MI. Internet friend, I should say.

I have been a member of a Pres. church (also PCA) since I was 11 or 12 (I'm 15 and 3/4). I have gone to a Pres. church since I was two, and before then I went to a Catholic church (my mom was raised Cathlic). I was also baptised Catholic.

unknown

Hello everyone- I have been raised as a Presbyterian, but I have never attended a church a single day in my life. Don't take this wrong, please, you must understand. My mother and father are both rligious, but they aren't into the whole 'public' thing. They rather like our private worshipping as a family...And my dad isn't always home on weekends because of work and they say that if we did go to a church they'd like ot go as one, as a family...(I'm fourteen years old.)

Very recently I have become so interested in learning more about my faith that the more I learn, the more I wish to start attending a church. I don't quite know how to approach my parents about joining a church of our faith...Does anyone have any suggestions?

t3gah

quick said:
I see no postings by Presbyterians. As a member of the PCA (Presbyterian Church in America), I would enjoy hearing from some of you. I used to be an elder with a PC(USA) church but left the denomination over some doctrinal issues.

How about you?
You see the text in the upper right-hand corner of your posted article?

Refer someone to this site!

Click that and send invitations to all your presbyterian friends and collegues.

Joannicius

Unknown,
I would simply ask them if they would take you, or if you could walk to a church that they would suggest next Sunday morning, or what ever service you want to attend. I can't believe they wouldn't be excited for you. You may even trigger a desire in them to get into fellowship with other believers in a place of worship.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
unknown said:
Hello everyone- I have been raised as a Presbyterian, but I have never attended a church a single day in my life. Don't take this wrong, please, you must understand. My mother and father are both rligious, but they aren't into the whole 'public' thing. They rather like our private worshipping as a family...And my dad isn't always home on weekends because of work and they say that if we did go to a church they'd like ot go as one, as a family...(I'm fourteen years old.)

Very recently I have become so interested in learning more about my faith that the more I learn, the more I wish to start attending a church. I don't quite know how to approach my parents about joining a church of our faith...Does anyone have any suggestions?
When I was about your age, two of my best friends and I wanted to do this -- just open the phone book and go each week to a worship service of every Christian denomination we could find. We were really pretty excited about it, but somehow our plans never really materialized (the fact that we were too young to drive probably had something to do with it). But all of our parents said, "Sure, go for it!" Now, years later, I wish I had. On the other hand, if your parents are opposed to it, I wouldn't go against their wishes. I'd just wait till I was a few years older.

Elder46

Hello to all! I am ordained minister/teaching elder in the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Historically we date back to the early 1800's In Tenn. and Kentucky. We have a long history of revivals in the hinterlands. We are probably best defined as Theologically conservative and at the same time more moderate. We rejected double predestination early on, and were the first in the Reformed family to ordain women to the gospel ministry in 1889. We are small but active in mission around the world. We did not split during the Civil War. We have our seminary in Memphis, TN and have students from some 30 denomnations. I live in Southeast Louisiana, and have a Bachelor's degree in Philosophy, a M.Div, and a D.Min. I would love to chat with other varieties of the Presbyterian/Reformed family...
Blessings on you!

Steiger

Hello all..
My wife and I have been a member of a Presbyterian Church (PCUSA) here in Jacksonville for a couple of months. We're of a more conservative bent (both as a couple and as a church) than the "mother ship" is as a whole, though.:)