• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Giving God a Present?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Here is an anecdote, from a friend:

My friend decided to grow some tomatoes in his greenhouse

He planted an entire plant but only one tomato grew to maturity, the others remained stunted and green

Apparently it looked lush and succulent, better than any tomato you’d see in the shops

However, instead of eating it he destroyed it, as tribute to God

Questions:

1) Is it possible to give God a present, by destroying something, so you yourself can’t have it?

2) If you sacrifice something to God, can you know whether or not your offering is accepted by him?

3) Would giving God a gift in such a way make him favour you at all? Can you really manipulate God like that?

Sounds like a waste of a good tomato to me…

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
1, no, the offering is destroyed and remains destroyed.

2, only if a god exists does that actually make sense.

3, see 2

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
If God is benevolent then maybe the only acceptable gift is how we treat other human beings, and destroying a tomato would probably be meaningless.

I'm atheist but it does matter to me who God is in people's minds. So I just had to answer!:cool:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

He planted an entire plant but only one tomato grew to maturity, the others remained stunted and green

Apparently it looked lush and succulent, better than any tomato you’d see in the shops

Questions:

1) Is it possible to give God a present, by destroying something, so you yourself can’t have it?

2) If you sacrifice something to God, can you know whether or not your offering is accepted by him?

3) Would giving God a gift in such a way make him favour you at all? Can you really manipulate God like that?

1) Yes, this was the purpose of sacrifice and offerings in many past and current religious practices. I choose to burn my sacrificial offerings personally.

2) Anything you sacrifice to the Gods is accepted by them, for what reasons do they have to reject it?

3) It's not manipulation of the Gods to give them an offering/sacrifice, it's a form of giving thanks. In fact the more worthwhile value the sacrifice has (like your only good tomato), the better. It's about sacrificing something, to something greater then the Self.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Questions:

I would eat the tomato. It's not like God is going to send him a million bucks or anything.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

If instead of destroying a good tomato, you gave it to a poor person as an act of kindness, then the act will automatically bring its own reward.

For Christians, at least, it seems to me that Matt 25:40 governs and that whatever one does for the 'least', with love, is done for God. And if it's done with love and not in the spirit of bargaining, it's not manipulation.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

Questions:

I would think that the only "gift" a God see as good is when human beings start to cultivate a spiritual teaching. And that humans become better beings

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Whatever possible need could a God have for presents? What's left to have, when you already have everything?

I'll just put it down to an inability to think cleary.

Lisette

HI Evangelicalhumanist, just like a human father likes gifts, our Father in Heaven likes gift, but not material gifts. He prefers gifts in the form of service and penance. He likes penance to show him that he is most important in our lives.