• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Given the Universe what sort God/entity would you expect...IF there were one?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I have consistent dreams. I have a dream and within the dream, it is consistent with the dreams I've had in the past. To the point that within the dream everything seems, feels consistent and makes sense. Maybe it is not exactly consistent but it is consistent enough to feel that way.

There are patterns we observe and even though the individual events are not exactly the same they are similar enough to feel consistent. However if you look really closely, you start to observe inconsistency. Maybe not enough to throw out the reality of the universe entirely but enough to start to question it.

Read about Descartes and the Evil Demon. Or properly not. ;)

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Well...my simple answer would be
An objective component must exist in any experience that I simply cannot change by wishing it were otherwise. The experience may still have large subjectivity and the objective part may be a hidden kernel within it ..but it must be there.

Correct, that assumes that the universe is real. It is the problem of the Evil Demon by Descartes and it even has a naturalistic variant. A Boltzmann Brain universe, which can come in some variants.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I have consistent dreams. I have a dream and within the dream, it is consistent with the dreams I've had in the past. To the point that within the dream everything seems, feels consistent and makes sense. Maybe it is not exactly consistent but it is consistent enough to feel that way.

There are patterns we observe and even though the individual events are not exactly the same they are similar enough to feel consistent. However if you look really closely, you start to observe inconsistency. Maybe not enough to throw out the reality of the universe entirely but enough to start to question it.
Usually my dreams are different. I know that I am dreaming when I am dreaming. And I usually choose the dream that I dream. At least those that I remember. It's more like visiting a movie theatre and choosing to watch a movie, and changing to another hall of I want to see a different movie.
So I guess I remain partly self aware even in sleep and disentangled from the creative web the mind creates.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Correct, that assumes that the universe is real. It is the problem of the Evil Demon by Descartes and it even has a naturalistic variant. A Boltzmann Brain universe, which can come in some variants.
In the Boltzmann brain problem, the brain and the mind it creates remain real. A brain-mind that creates such a rich experiential structure from within itself must itself be highly structured.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
In the Boltzmann brain problem, the brain and the mind it creates remain real. A brain-mind that creates such a rich experiential structure from within itself must itself be highly structured.

Yeah, but the external world is not real. That is the point. You assume a we, that wouldn't be real. Only your experience would be real.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Usually my dreams are different. I know that I am dreaming when I am dreaming. And I usually choose the dream that I dream. At least those that I remember. It's more like visiting a movie theatre and choosing to watch a movie, and changing to another hall of I want to see a different movie.
So I guess I remain partly self aware even in sleep and disentangled from the creative web the mind creates.

There was a dream I had in which I thought I might be dreaming. So I set about trying to find a way to prove to myself it was a dream. However everything I tried resulting in what I expected if it was actually reality I was experiencing. To the point of hey, maybe if I jump off a cliff, if this is a dream, I'd wake up. I was too afraid of the dream being real to try it.

So sure, maybe at some point I will come to realize this reality I'm experiencing is a dream. The dreamer becoming partially aware that they are dreaming. Hasn't happen yet though.

So until then, if ever, I happy to assume reality is as it appears to be.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Let us assume that the universe is more or less as understood by Science (Big Bang, expanding, life through evolution, ironclad laws on large scale but quantum fuzzyness in small scale, billions of starts and quadrillions of planets, living things in at least one planet with us conscious beings in it etc).
Now suppose you are told that this is the universe here and there is some sort of Entity, Entities or some sort of Absolute Being behind it all in some way.
What, based on this universe, would you speculate ITS nature and characteristics to be?
Open to everyone for informed speculation.
I have no words. ;)

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
What creates these experiences?

The objective reality. It is not just real, because your experience has no one to one correspondence.
You experience say a cat. If the universe is real, it is a real cat. If you are in some variants of a Boltzmann Brain universe, you have the experience of the cat, but there is no real cat.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Well...it's not.
Philosophers have written books on philosophy of science which scientists never read or follow....Otherwise quantum mechanics would not exist.
Science isn't philosophy for certain.

People become philosophical, yet the science isn't.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The objective reality. It is not just real, because your experience has no one to one correspondence.
You experience say a cat. If the universe is real, it is a real cat. If you are in some variants of a Boltzmann Brain universe, you have the experience of the cat, but there is no real cat.
Drop a hammer on your foot.

Tell me it isnt real.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Any such entities/deities I would expect to be entirely beyond my ability to perceive, and probably to conceive as well. It's why I don't do deities any more, although I can entertain the idea of them.

For example, I seem to be a point of consciousness, and only perceive and conceive my experiences from a single locus...me.

For any deity, I would expect that it would have multiple loci of consciousness, simultaneously...I suppose in physics that would be what is called "non-local." I can conceive of that arrangement, but I have not and cannot see how I could experience it.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
An absolute entity responsible for life and our universe would be bound by existence, and having to obey laws would work within the constraints existence affords. He/she/it would NOT be boundless beyond existence. Existence needs laws to operate. Without foundations, rules or habits or laws then nothing would exist; at least anything coherent and with a mind.

The character of an absolute entity is that they are rugged, and determined to make more of what is given. Every living thing is bound by limits. Divinity would not be the nature of the absolute. The absolute would be a struggler, and a student of all that is possible, and possessing greater possibility then life on earth could fathom, yet far from omnipotent.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Let us assume that the universe is more or less as understood by Science (Big Bang, expanding, life through evolution, ironclad laws on large scale but quantum fuzzyness in small scale, billions of starts and quadrillions of planets, living things in at least one planet with us conscious beings in it etc).
Now suppose you are told that this is the universe here and there is some sort of Entity, Entities or some sort of Absolute Being behind it all in some way.
What, based on this universe, would you speculate ITS nature and characteristics to be?
One that has no interest in interaction with the material realm in my view.

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
Since there are trillions of stars and planets, there must be thousands of Gods!

Yerda

Veteran Member
Way beyond my comprehension. So different from me that our language can't describe it. Nor our logic or concepts or mathematics.