• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Given the Universe what sort God/entity would you expect...IF there were one?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Let us assume that the universe is more or less as understood by Science (Big Bang, expanding, life through evolution, ironclad laws on large scale but quantum fuzzyness in small scale, billions of starts and quadrillions of planets, living things in at least one planet with us conscious beings in it etc).
Now suppose you are told that this is the universe here and there is some sort of Entity, Entities or some sort of Absolute Being behind it all in some way.
What, based on this universe, would you speculate ITS nature and characteristics to be?
Open to everyone for informed speculation.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Let us assume that the universe is more or less as understood by Science (Big Bang, expanding, life through evolution, ironclad laws on large scale but quantum fuzzyness in small scale, billions of starts and quadrillions of planets, living things in at least one planet with us conscious beings in it etc).
Now suppose you are told that this is the universe here and there is some sort of Entity, Entities or some sort of Absolute Being behind it all in some way.
What, based on this universe, would you speculate ITS nature and characteristics to be?

That it is real, orderly and knowable. That is the definition of the universe as it is assumed on faith in methodological naturalism.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I've thought that if anything it'd be a dreamer God.
God is having a dream and experiences this world as us individually experiencing the dream.

Then at some point this God wakes up and comes to realize that nothing which happen while dreaming actually occurred.
None of the pain or suffering was real. Just the product of a dream.

So during the dream, God does not know they are dreaming and keeps looking for themselves.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'd expect what we have now.

The product of people's imagination.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That it is real, orderly and knowable. That is the definition of the universe as it assumed on faith in methodological naturalism.
Assumed in faith? The fundamental principles of physics involve Quantum mechanics which is stochastic. It also states that some things cannot be known even in principle. So why do you believe methodological naturalism assumes any such thing?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Assumed in faith? The fundamental principles of physics involve Quantum mechanics which is stochastic. It also states that some things cannot be known even in principle. So why do you believe methodological naturalism assumes any such thing?

Well, it is philosophy of science, for which there are other first person belief systems, but they all seem to be belief systems.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
That it is real, orderly and knowable. That is the definition of the universe as it assumed on faith in methodological naturalism.

I think humans make order out of chaos. We observe the universe and imagine/create a structure for it and take this structure as the truth whether it is or not. Maybe the universe makes no sense. There is only chaos but we create a structure from what we observe which makes sense to us regardless.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I've thought that if anything it'd be a dreamer God.
God is having a dream and experiences this world as us individually experiencing the dream.

Then at some point this God wakes up and comes to realize that nothing which happen while dreaming actually occurred.
None of the pain or suffering was real. Just the product of a dream.

So during the dream, God does not know they are dreaming and keeps looking for themselves.
What features of this universe makes you think this dream idea is likely?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The deist god seems to fit the role best. If the universe is intelligently designed, it was done so by an intelligent entity that doesn't seem to have any moral imperative for us, nor interest (or ability) in intervening in our affairs. Any other qualities it may possess would be both unknowable and irrelevant to us.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I think humans make order out of chaos. We observe the universe and imagine/create a structure for it and take this structure as the truth whether it is or not. Maybe the universe makes no sense. There is only chaos but we create a structure from what we observe which makes sense to us regardless.

I once got this one explained for how to understand it. The objective universe is dough and we are all dough cutters in general, yet as individual different dough cutters.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Could we successfully navigate this universe if it made no sense. Isn't the sun rising every morning a structure that is really there? Or the regularity of seasons. Or that the same set of stars rise and set throughout the year. That we sleep and wake up every morning?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
What features of this universe makes you think this dream idea is likely?

Actually it is more from my own experience of dreaming. And, assuming God is not an evil ******* who intentionally created a universe of actual suffering.
Not that I have any faith that this is what is true you said speculate.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, it is philosophy of science, for which there are other first person belief systems, but they all seem to be belief systems.
Well...it's not.
Philosophers have written books on philosophy of science which scientists never read or follow....Otherwise quantum mechanics would not exist.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually it is more from my own experience of dreaming. And, assuming God is not an evil ******* who intentionally created a universe of actual suffering.
Not that I have any faith that this is what is true you said speculate.
What reality does God see when He wakes up?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Could we successfully navigate this universe if it made no sense. Isn't the sun rising every morning a structure that is really there? Or the regularity of seasons. Or that the same set of stars rise and set throughout the year. That we sleep and wake up every morning?

Well, the problem is this. If your experiences of it are real, how does that correspond with objective reality in itself, if all you have, are your experiences of it? That one hasn't never really been solved as the most honest answer seems to be that it is unknown.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Well...it's not.
Philosophers have written books on philosophy of science which scientists never read or follow....Otherwise quantum mechanics would not exist.

Yeah, but that still doesn't explain how it is called methodological naturalism. And BTW existence has no objective referent. It is an idea from philosophy.
So for existence that is philosophy, if you look closer and check the word.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

Well, the problem is this. If your experiences of it are real, how does that correspond with objective reality in itself, if all you have, are your experiences of it? That one hasn't never really been solved as the most honest answer seems to be that it is unknown.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I have consistent dreams. I have a dream and within the dream, it is consistent with the dreams I've had in the past. To the point that within the dream everything seems, feels consistent and makes sense. Maybe it is not exactly consistent but it is consistent enough to feel that way.

There are patterns we observe and even though the individual events are not exactly the same they are similar enough to feel consistent. However if you look really closely, you start to observe inconsistency. Maybe not enough to throw out the reality of the universe entirely but enough to start to question it.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Well...my simple answer would be
An objective component must exist in any experience that I simply cannot change by wishing it were otherwise. The experience may still have large subjectivity and the objective part may be a hidden kernel within it ..but it must be there.