• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Give me study advice

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Im starting college soon. There's one problem tho. Back in school even when I was taking college classes in high school I never studied. With the exception of math classes and when I was super depressed too much so to work properly, I still passed even the college classes with As and Bs tho I never studied a bit or really even took notes unless was required by the teacher. Im not sure I could pass college classes like that now my memory has changed a lot and I'm very different mentally these days.
So im sure ill need study skills tho I've never used them and dont know how to study. Anyone got any advice on studying stuff?

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
Anyone got any advice on studying stuff?

While reading a textbook, give yourself your best guess at what a passage will be about when you reach its heading. Then, read the passage and see how its content is similar to or different from your best guess. This will help you remember what you read.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I don't know why but feel @firedragon
Would be useful in this
So im tagging him hope he don't mind me asking for advice.

I mind I mind. So one day you have to make a cup of tea for me. ;) Just kidding brother.

Im starting college soon. There's one problem tho. Back in school even when I was taking college classes in high school I never studied. With the exception of math classes and when I was super depressed too much so to work properly, I still passed even the college classes with As and Bs tho I never studied a bit or really even took notes unless was required by the teacher. Im not sure I could pass college classes like that now my memory has changed a lot and I'm very different mentally these days.
So im sure ill need study skills tho I've never used them and dont know how to study. Anyone got any advice on studying stuff?

I understand this question very well ROL. What you should do is, study a little everyday, at one scheduled time. After a short while, you will get your genius you had in school back.

Do not put off studying to once a week, twice a week or anything like that and study for hours. Study a little, everyday, at one organised time.

Trust me on this.

F1fan

Veteran Member
My experience was that staying in dorms helped my study habits. As soon as I moved into a house with other guys it was like a party all the time, and my grades suffered.

Also find some classmates to study with as this helped me have a study schedule. Another person helps asks questions before tests, which is a huge help to cover material.

joe1776

Richard Feynman's technique for learning anything

Physicist and Nobel Prize winner, Richard Feynman, called 'the great explainer,' used a simple technique for learning anything. His technique can be quickly described this way: In order to really understand something well, you must be able to explain or teach it to a child.
1. Choose a concept to learn. Select a topic you’re interested in learning about and write it at the top of a blank page in a notebook.
2. Teach it to yourself or someone else. Write everything you know about a topic out as if you were explaining it to yourself. Alternately, actually teach it to someone else.
3. Return to the source material if you get stuck. Go back to whatever you’re learning from – a book, lecture notes, podcast – and fill the gaps in your knowledge.
4. Simplify your explanations, use examples, and create analogies. Streamline your notes and explanation, further clarifying the topic until it seems obvious. Additionally, think of analogies that feel intuitive.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Regular, repetition.
Test your recall. Remember, recall is not recognition.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Just read. If the subjects you are studying interest you, you may find you learn enough just from reading and then doing the assignments, without any further techniques.

If you are like me (and you may not be) you may find it very helpful to attend the lectures and take notes. I used to do this, even though I seldom re-read the notes I had taken later. What I found was that paying attention in order to focus on noting down what seemed to me the key points, or the issues I had questions about, or did not grasp, was itself enough to get them into my head, most of the time.

I don't think there is any special mystique about "studying". But where you may need to work hard is on topics that you don't find specially interesting: there are always a few. (My personal bête noire was carbohydrate chemistry - God, it was dull.) On these you may have to test yourself on your knowledge to make sure it has gone into you head and stuck, and then repeat the bits that haven't.

One other thing that worked for me was talking about the subject with fellow students. Having to explain to someone something you don't understand, and then hearing them either explain it or agree with you it is a problem, can be very useful. We chemists in my college used to have dinner together and quite often used to do this while we ate. Sometimes we might go to someone's room afterwards, for coffee or with a bottle of something, to continue. That way you get free tuition from one another - and have a nice evening.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Audio and a pair of headphones comfortably laying down as pertinent information charges into the brain.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I mind I mind. So one day you have to make a cup of tea for me. ;) Just kidding brother.

I understand this question very well ROL. What you should do is, study a little everyday, at one scheduled time. After a short while, you will get your genius you had in school back.

Do not put off studying to once a week, twice a week or anything like that and study for hours. Study a little, everyday, at one organised time.

Trust me on this.
@RayofLight...I totally agree with @firedragon

And the more you study, the more you like it. Same with posting on RF or relationships. Teachers even give "frubals". So, you just study with the same enthusiasm as when posting on RF or when being in love. It's a Law you understand for sure "if you shed light on something the light is in you too".

Concentration is also very important, and also good for health ime. I have had headaches my whole life, but when I studied my favorite subject (maths) with intense concentration, my headache got usually much less (easily to bear). I used to terrible with French (4 out of 10). Then I got a different teacher who allowed me to read Asterix and Obelix, and I liked it, start liking french (got 8 out of 10), and after 1 year I was even dreaming in French, I could never have dreamed about that

Our mind is very potent if used positively. Just decide "I am going to love studying". That would be my advice

Oh, and Love, Peace and Blessings to you, I hope you are going to enjoy it

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Write notes, even if you don't use the notes later the writing helps reinforce the message.

Discuss with other students

Revise for an hour or two per day for several days to several weeks before tests/exams

Don't rely on cramming

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Don't eat at random times. Similarly try to have a consistent bed time, as good as you can.

As always, practice smiling. If you are studying hard and find yourself frowning, stop. Relax your tense muscles. The reason why is that your human body is going to fight you as you learn to study, and you must train it not to do this. That is because it initially tries to conserve energy when you sit still to study, making you hibernate. Your body always feel more tired than you are, and you always feel a drag in your mind when you begin to exert your mind to learn anything abstract. Your body and brain attempt to preserve calories, and this can make you feel artificially tired and sad when you are working hard or are studying hard. You must disbelieve the sadness and the tiredness, training your body to feel good when you study. People do, and people learn to enjoy studying. That is what you will be doing, too.