• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gillette Commercial

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
But isn't this exactly why X wave feminism exists? :D

I mean, just switch "anti-feminist" with "anti-masculine" and it's amazing how well that shoe fits. I'm not down with the haters, I don't care if they call themselves MRA's, feminists, or whatever.

I don't care what you support even if it's someone like Trump or MRAs, but at least be forthright about it instead of pretending you're "not down with the haters." Your posts speak for themselves in that regard.

There was certainly a time in the past when women in the west lacked equality of opportunity, but that was before I was even born. It's no time in my lifetime, so it's unlikely that it's been the case in any time in the lives of anyone else in this forum. Maybe if someone around here is 80+ years old... maybe... lol

I have a feeling anyone slightly left of fascist will probably seem "anti-masculine" to you, so there's little point in pursuing a discussion about equality or freedom with you. It would kinda be like talking about biochemistry with someone who believes in alchemy.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Westerns were the favorite film/TV genre, and those were full of stories of standing up to bullying and the mistreatment of women. But it was presented more in a way of "this is what real men do," not so much in the sense of "we must stand against toxic masculinity." It's not so much that the overall message of the video was wrong, but I think some might take issue with how it was presented.
Westerns are a part of what built toxic masculinity. Bottled up emotions: check. Foolishly individualistic (as in a reluctance to accept help from others): check. More violence than what real life has: check. Women are the damsel in distress and need their knight in shining armor: check. Inexplicable racial tensions with white guys as the good guys (when in reality there were few white cowboys - they also didn't tend to clash with the Natives as Westerns would have us believe): check.
It's to the point we believe the myth of the "Wild West," when in reality they had way more gun control than we do today and wasn't nearly as rough-n-tumble as modern Western novels and movies are. Life was tough for a legit cowboy, but that's because he worked an incredibly difficult job, where the action (a stampede) was unwanted. It's no wonder the railroads largely ended that career, because I can't imagine trying to adjust back to "regular" life after spending years as a cowhand. It's a job for an extreme introvert, and once out there it would be a very difficult thing to come back in, so why would it live on after there is little more use for them?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'm guessing that you saw one the last time you looked in the mirror, Getting your panties in a twist because an ad suggests that real men shouldn't act like immature boys is the very definition of an insecure snowflake.
You're certainly trying hard aren't ya? Lol

Real men. That's even funnier. Stop it !! ROFLMAO!!!!

My ribs are aching over your freakin efforts to antagonize me over a shaving commercial attempting to define what real men are. You oughta be in comedy. You're a freaking blast! You should be doing stand-up at Yuk Yuk's.

Twilight Hue

Again, who the hell are "those women" you keep mentioning?

What does setting a good example as a father and standing up against bullying and sexism have to do with masculinity or femininity? A.) Not being a punk and B.) putting punks in their place seems pretty masculine to me. Why would someone take issue with this unless they were a punk themselves?

Please tell us about this mysterious, nefarious "missy" character so that the rest of us know what the hell you're talking about.
If you're going to ask what kind of woman I'm talking about , then you obviously haven't seen the Gillette commercial.

Standing up against bullying and sexism?
Well first you teach your son how to fight and fight hard and be able to take a hit. That's how you teach your children to deal with bullies. If they can't, life will have to teach them and hopefully they'll be able to pick that up over time . Unfortunately most go into the latter category including myself. After enough being pushed and bullying around, you do get tougher. The sign is when you start pushing back and it's a damm good feeling when you first learn through the School of Hard Knocks that you can stand on your own two feet instead of running to somebody to get coddled. Ever listen to Johnny Cash, "A Boy Named Sue"? Something like that.

If you don't know what a missy is, then you're too young to know it now.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Well first you teach your son how to fight and fight hard and be able to take a hit. That's how you teach your children to deal with bullies. If they can't, life will have to teach them and hopefully they'll be able to pick that up over time
Many, who are far more of a man than you'll ever be, would say that fighting a bully is not the appropriate way to handle that, and that resorting to fighting means you have already lost (they also tend to kick and punch way harder than what any macho man tough guy can ever dream of).

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Many, who are far more of a man than you'll ever be, would say that fighting a bully is not the appropriate way to handle that, and that resorting to fighting means you have already lost (they also tend to kick and punch way harder than what any macho man tough guy can ever dream of).

I'm dying to know what 'more of a man' consists of compared to the rest of us manly men. This ought to be rich.

I really don't care about the various snowflake descriptions of what men should or shouldn't be in the face of bullies and adversary in general because if you don't , or cant stand up for yourself on your own two feet, life is going to be pretty rough on you for as long as you allow it. You will end up being a pretty pathetic man as a result. But I say to that life in general is the best teacher anyways.

Bullies only understand one kind of language. It's the same exact language they use themselves and many times if you give them a rough enough time at it they'll lay off the bullying or at least considerably tone it down because you stand up for yourself, even if you lose and get hurt.

You just get back up and brush yourself off. Never let a bully win. Real men know that fact and I'll be damned if it doesn't actually work more often than not.

It's a part of instinct and evolution on the male side of things. You definitely in life have to lock horns with adversary from time to time. That's how you face and deal with it and it's not hard to see that play out in action everyday.

Healthy Men are self assured and well-advised and able to stand their own ground, love and respect their women, and laugh at the silly retarded unrealistic stereotypes like PC/SJW commercials like Gillette are putting out portraying men as needing to be more sensitive and must do more for women.

They don't. Not in a billion years. Especially when it's coming from outside strangers you don't know who want to dictate to others who and what a man is, and what a man should and ought to be and do.

I'm actually relieved so many people aren't listening to this bull being put out by Gillette.

But I'm sure a lot of women are going to start buying their razors for their legs given the attention to the company. Its almost ingenious from a marketing standpoint.

I would suggest purple and pink to match ones sensitive side for the effeminate.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Westerns are a part of what built toxic masculinity. Bottled up emotions: check. Foolishly individualistic (as in a reluctance to accept help from others): check. More violence than what real life has: check. Women are the damsel in distress and need their knight in shining armor: check. Inexplicable racial tensions with white guys as the good guys (when in reality there were few white cowboys - they also didn't tend to clash with the Natives as Westerns would have us believe): check.
It's to the point we believe the myth of the "Wild West," when in reality they had way more gun control than we do today and wasn't nearly as rough-n-tumble as modern Western novels and movies are. Life was tough for a legit cowboy, but that's because he worked an incredibly difficult job, where the action (a stampede) was unwanted. It's no wonder the railroads largely ended that career, because I can't imagine trying to adjust back to "regular" life after spending years as a cowhand. It's a job for an extreme introvert, and once out there it would be a very difficult thing to come back in, so why would it live on after there is little more use for them?

Well, yes, you're correct about the actual history of the West, although I was responding to the point about teaching kids to stand up to bullies and setting a good example. Westerns did serve that purpose, with stark contrasts between the "good guys" and "bad guys" even to the point of making it a cheesy caricature.

I'm just not entirely convinced that it's solely due to the trappings of "masculinity" that makes one a good or evil person. One can eschew "toxic masculinity" and still have malice in their hearts, so I don't see that one has anything to do with the other.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
"Whataboutism" is distraction from an issue.
The OP poses an issue. It directly addresses the fundamental
sexism of the Gillette ad, and also the asymmetry, ie, that the left
is OK with wanting good men to take responsibility for bad ones,
but would never ask the same of good women.
They place women on a pedestal, immunized against criticism
because their role is singularly the victim.
Let it be known that I don't think that you are talking about the world that we live in.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Did you find the new Gillette commercial to be somehow anti-male. I’ve heard both sides of the argument. But this video rebuttal makes one think:
Would a company call out bad behavior of women?
Love the video. The contrast certainly stands out.

QuestioningMind

You're certainly trying hard aren't ya? Lol

Real men. That's even funnier. Stop it !! ROFLMAO!!!!

My ribs are aching over your freakin efforts to antagonize me over a shaving commercial attempting to define what real men are. You oughta be in comedy. You're a freaking blast! You should be doing stand-up at Yuk Yuk's.

I'm not even breaking a sweat dude. And I agree, it is rather funny to expect a delicate little snowflake like you to comprehend what a real man is. Those panties of yours are twisted so tight they appear to be cutting off the blood flow to your brain.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I don't care what you support even if it's someone like Trump or MRAs, but at least be forthright about it instead of pretending you're "not down with the haters." Your posts speak for themselves in that regard.

I don't support MRAs or feminists for exactly the same reasons, they're both useless and self-defeating ideologies at this juncture. :D Extreme male chauvinism isn't the antidote to militant feminazi ramblings any more than consuming poison will cure cancer. If I am anything it's pro-Human... That's to say if I have a side to support it's both.

I don't particularly understand why you presume everyone that dislikes feminists are MRA activists, I know plenty of women who reject feminism completely. One is not necessarily equivalent to another.

As far as Trump, I liked him when he was a Democrat so it obviously has nothing to do with him being a Republican. Only someone far off and drowning in the deep end of leftist ideology would see Trump as "right leaning", as he never has been. Depending on the issue in question he's mostly been center-left or center-right, and that still is the case. But, your comments amuse me.

I have a feeling anyone slightly left of fascist will probably seem "anti-masculine" to you, so there's little point in pursuing a discussion about equality or freedom with you. It would kinda be like talking about biochemistry with someone who believes in alchemy.

This just strikes me as commentary designed to style me as some sort of fascist or MRA. "Attacking the man" is kids stuff, up your game. If all you got to post in a reply is a bunch of criticism about me, save it. I got it, you think I'm some fascist, Republican, MRA supporter, and stupid. Great, ain't you a peach. :D Wrong on all counts, nonetheless.

Twilight Hue

I'm not even breaking a sweat dude. And I agree, it is rather funny to expect a delicate little snowflake like you to comprehend what a real man is. Those panties of yours are twisted so tight they appear to be cutting off the blood flow to your brain.
You sure have a fetish for panties sunshine. One of those types aren't ya?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
It seems that those who boast about being "real men" as they thump their chest are very far from actually being one. I tend to think they're nothing but overgrown boys with overgrown ego's. And d'ya ever notice that those who speak the loudest tend to have the least to offer?

Like Teddy Roosevelt said, "Walk softly but carry a big di-- er, I mean stick".

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm dying to know what 'more of a man' consists of compared to the rest of us manly men. This ought to be rich.
Here is a fine example of a man who could stomp any macho tough guy, kick and punch way harder than them, and also views resorting to violence as having lost:
66018-004-703936D0.jpg

Sun Tsu, author of the Art of War, was also very much "the art of winning at fighting is to win without fighting."

Twilight Hue

Here is a fine example of a man who could stomp any macho tough guy, kick and punch way harder than them, and also views resorting to violence as having lost:
66018-004-703936D0.jpg

Sun Tsu, author of the Art of War, was also very much "the art of winning at fighting is to win without fighting."
Did you know Bruce Lee's background where he was a street fighter in Hong Kong? :O)

Sun Tsu is actually an awesome reference as well. I like to add Miyamoto Musashi's Book of Five Rings to the amazingly good references you provided.

Only thing is I don't even know how to compare any of that to a Gillette commercial made from it's wacked-out and detached from reality writers and creators and those that gave it a green light.

I'd swear the Gillette commercial is more for women than men using some backwards psychology here to get women to purchase their razors.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Only thing is I don't even know how to compare any of that to a Gillette commercial made from it's wacked-out and detached from reality writers and creators and those that gave it a green light.
When it came to doing violence, they were some of the finest. But breaking up a fight is definitely something they would have done, because they themselves adhered to a philosophy that sought to avoid violence. Such as a scene from one of Lee's movies, where on a boat he encountered someone who wanted to fight, suggested they go fight on a nearby island, and ended up sending the man their on his own in order to avoid a fight. But that's not very "many" by American standards, but his ability to fight was in a realm far beyond that of a macho tough guy. And he could drop them with what appears to be very minimal effort. But instead of bragging about it, he was known for offering tips and advice (again, not very "manly" by American standards).