• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gillette Commercial

Shaka

Did you find the new Gillette commercial to be somehow anti-male. I’ve heard both sides of the argument. But this video rebuttal makes one think:
Would a company call out bad behavior of women?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Did you find the new Gillette commercial to be somehow anti-male. I’ve heard both sides of the argument. But this video rebuttal makes one think:
Just another PC/SJW piece of trash.

Get woke, go broke.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I do think it's an appropriate message and is not in any way anti-male.

I hate to say this but I do believe there are way too many American men who "think" that acting like overgrown brats that lack even the most basic empathy towards others somehow makes them more of a man, and I know plenty of women who would agree.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I believe this has a name: whataboutism
"Whataboutism" is distraction from an issue.
The OP poses an issue. It directly addresses the fundamental
sexism of the Gillette ad, and also the asymmetry, ie, that the left
is OK with wanting good men to take responsibility for bad ones,
but would never ask the same of good women.
They place women on a pedestal, immunized against criticism
because their role is singularly the victim.

Orbit

I'm a planet
It is a deflection: "Let's not talk about a cultural problem that has real consequences like violence against women because what about women?"

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It is a deflection: "Let's not talk about a cultural problem that has real consequences like violence against women because what about women?"
Gillette raised an issue.
The OP raised another.
Both are valid.
But in this thread, to distract from its theme is the real "whataboutism".

Trackdayguy

Speed doesn't kill, it's hitting the wall
"Whataboutism" is distraction from an issue.
The OP poses an issue. It directly addresses the fundamental
sexism of the Gillette ad, and also the asymmetry, ie, that the left
is OK with wanting good men to take responsibility for bad ones,
but would never ask the same of good women.
They place women on a pedestal, immunized against criticism
because their role is singularly the victim.

I guess your not a big fan of the #ME2 movement. Me neither, bunch of man haters.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I guess your not a big fan of the #ME2 movement. Me neither, bunch of man haters.
No, I think it has great merit (some flawed responses notwithstanding).
People of all genders can endure harm as a result of dysfunctional
attitudes relating to gender. Sexual assault & wrongful accusation
are just the tip of the iceberg.

Look at me being all modern & progressive by using "all" instead of "both", eh.

Mindmaster

Premium Member

I have no more time for anti-white, anti-rich, anti-male messages than I have for their converse. Gillette is trash, not interested.

If you have nothing to do but pick at peoples base values, culture, or physical properties you're just a piece of trash and I reject you. We need our tough guys and our softies, it's not a battle that has to be won. I'm tired of the divisiveness along these lines, and the woke AF progressive BS that seems to believe it's O.K. to jab at people that aren't like them.

I mean, I rip on the Democratic party all the time, but I realize most "Democratic Voters" are not nearly as polarized as the party is aiming to be. I realize the truth or value isn't always in the middle of the political spectrum, but I am going to sit in the middle because I'm going to listen to both sides. Then, I'm going to do the math. :D

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I find nothing wrong with Gillette's ad and think it promotes a great message. The worst I can say about it is that it's not the most fitting ad for a razor product, and that's it. Otherwise I applaud Gillette's willingness to be progressive despite the fact that pushback from conservatives, insecure people, and anti-feminist demagogues was inevitable, especially given the current toxic political climate in the U.S.

QuestioningMind

It amazes me that anyone considers this ad to be anti-male. It simply says that real men don't act like immature little boys. The only ones I imagine who are offended are all of the immature little boys who are all butt-hurt that real men are calling them out.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I would distance myself from anyone who thinks that commercial was "anti-male" somehow. Them revealing their rotten character is appreciated, though. Lets me know who to avoid.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I have no more time for anti-white, anti-rich, anti-male messages than I have for their converse. Gillette is trash, not interested.

If you have nothing to do but pick at peoples base values, culture, or physical properties you're just a piece of trash and I reject you. We need our tough guys and our softies, it's not a battle that has to be won. I'm tired of the divisiveness along these lines, and the woke AF progressive BS that seems to believe it's O.K. to jab at people that aren't like them.

I mean, I rip on the Democratic party all the time, but I realize most "Democratic Voters" are not nearly as polarized as the party is aiming to be. I realize the truth or value isn't always in the middle of the political spectrum, but I am going to sit in the middle because I'm going to listen to both sides. Then, I'm going to do the math. :D
Just another PC/SJW piece of trash.

Get woke, go broke.
I just watched the video, and all I got from it was that it was suggesting that men should strive to be good examples to their kids and to stand up to bullying and the mistreatment of women. How exactly is this "PC/SJW" unless you believe that bullying and mistreating women are somehow an essential part of being a "real man"?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I just watched the video, and all I got from it was that it was suggesting that men should strive to be good examples to their kids and to stand up to bullying and the mistreatment of women. How exactly is this "PC/SJW" unless you believe that bullying and mistreating women are somehow an essential part of being a "real man"?

I find the typical online anti-feminist brigade every bit as ironically thin-skinned and insecure as they strive to portray their critics as. It's like the confused kid in middle school who believes everyone else is less intelligent than he is and bullies them because of that belief.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I find the typical online anti-feminist brigade every bit as ironically thin-skinned and insecure as they strive to portray their critics as. It's like the confused kid in middle school who believes everyone else is less intelligent than he is and bullies them because of that belief.

The irony is that a lot of them are part of the basement dwelling alt-right crowd which largely consists of "incels" and "neckbeards" who have no real experience with women or children (or shaving) to begin with, and likely frequent targets of bullying themselves.

Last edited: