• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ghosts

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I see people seeing ghosts as a possible sign of physical sickness (in which case, the ghosts could possibly not be real), spiritual sickness, or either being into the occult or doors having been opened. In the case of spiritual sickness, the way I see things, though I don't know how to prove something like this - is that being sick in your spiritual life, could accidentally and potentially get you on a plain you didn't intend, and as a result, you could see spirits.

When I say spiritual sickness, I see a few things causing it. Emotional pain, hurt, depression, lack of motivation, hopelessness, lack of God, lack of role models, listening to harmful beliefs, etc.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
I have to disagree. Children and animals sense ghosts etc. easily. I think we lose something as we age. I don't think seeing or experiencing such things is a sign of illness.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I have to disagree. Children and animals sense ghosts etc. easily. I think we lose something as we age. I don't think seeing or experiencing such things is a sign of illness.

I see what you mean. However, I wanted to add that in addition to naming illness as a possibility, I said something along the lines of "doors open to the occult" - if I'm correct, and I'm not necessarily asserting that I am, family members, or people in that area where there are sightings, could have opened doors.

But what you said about children seeing them. Yes, that is interesting. I wouldn't provide any sort of rebuttal to that, as I agree that children see them.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I see people seeing ghosts as a possible sign of physical sickness (in which case, the ghosts could possibly not be real), spiritual sickness, or either being into the occult or doors having been opened. In the case of spiritual sickness, the way I see things, though I don't know how to prove something like this - is that being sick in your spiritual life, could accidentally and potentially get you on a plain you didn't intend, and as a result, you could see spirits.

When I say spiritual sickness, I see a few things causing it. Emotional pain, hurt, depression, lack of motivation, hopelessness, lack of God, lack of role models, listening to harmful beliefs, etc.

Although I'm not a healer, Im incline to believe since every living and being have their individual spirit or life in them when their spirit is imbalanced it affects them physically.

Take something as a broken heart. Two wives can break up for an intense reason and both may feel somatic physical symptoms from that lost without any physical cause. There's a term for it. Something about that connection between people can make one sick if broken.

As for calling spirit ghosts, I don't believe that. I'd liken it to energy rather than an entity.

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I read Yoga Vasistha (a well known Hindu Scripture). It's full of stories about Ghosts, Gods, Saints, Demons, Angels and what not. The Greatest Saints (e.g. Vasistha and Viswamitra who was the teacher of Rama ... who is the Treta Yuga Avatar, where people were quite a bit more spiritual than in present Kali Yuga) are able to see them ... IMO not because they are spiritual more sick or physical more sick than those people (in Kali Yuga) who do not see them

Note: Of course it is possible that YogaVasistha stories are symbolism, and ghosts stands fore (emotional) energy forms (E=mc2)

Last edited:

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I see people seeing ghosts as a possible sign of physical sickness (in which case, the ghosts could possibly not be real)
Allow me to give you an anecdotal riddle.
Let’s say you have two people diagnosed with psychosis (with hallucinations as a symptom).
They both see a ghost simultaneously, and give the same description of its appearance and actions.
Are they seeing a hallucination? If it was the one patient by themselves, this is how it is marked as. But when the hallucination happens simultaneously for two separate individuals?
Is it perhaps a shared psychosis? Furthermore, could you ever hope to convince the patient that they are indeed hallucinating, and not seeing actual ghosts, after such an experience? From my anecdotal experience, the answer is no

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Allow me to give you an anecdotal riddle.
Let’s say you have two people diagnosed with psychosis (with hallucinations as a symptom).
They both see a ghost simultaneously, and give the same description of its appearance and actions.
Are they seeing a hallucination? If it was the one patient by themselves, this is how it is marked as. But when the hallucination happens simultaneously for two separate individuals?
Is it perhaps a shared psychosis? Furthermore, could you ever hope to convince the patient that they are indeed hallucinating, and not seeing actual ghosts, after such an experience. From my anecdotal experience, the answer is no

I have my concerns that this is going to turn into a thread where people cherry pick my post and think that I'm saying "Ghosts are just physical illness" or "Ghosts are just illness", when actually I'm saying "Ghosts are real in my opinion. In some cases, they can be schizophrenia or some other condition, but many aren't. However, I take the stance that associating with ghosts is mostly meaningless and leads down a rabbit-hole that usually is high risk, little reward."

stvdv

I have to disagree. Children and animals sense ghosts etc. easily
I believe that when ego is less, we are more able to use our inner senses, hence children and animals can be more sensitive.

But I also had a nice experience with my dog. We were walking early morning, pitch black. Suddenly the dog made a deep sound, standing still full of fear, not wanting to move an inch. Then I saw what the dog saw, a silhouette in the distance. Luckily I had my glasses on, so I could easily see it was a cow. I tried (as a test) to pull the dog towards "his ghost", but the dog really saw a ghost I guess, because normally when we pass the cow in daylight, he has no fear at all the sight of a cow.

So, I think many times when people/animals see ghosts it might be their fear/emotion. But I know that it's possible that Masters appear to me, so why not ghosts. Another thing I have experienced when I was very open, that I saw the emotion of other people take the form of ghosts. Everything is energy (E=mc2). So, if a person is very angry, it can be perceived as a troll or what not, but only when I am not enlightened I think. When I would be enlightened, I would clearly see these emotions for what they are, and not see silhouettes (but I am not sure of all of this, because I have not been experimenting much with it).

I think we lose something as we age
When we are ignorant we lose, when we are smart we try to gain it back

I don't think seeing or experiencing such things is a sign of illness.
Maybe it might be illness (not enlightened), but then all the people who don't see it, probably are even more ill (unless enlightened)

stvdv

I can agree with this, that seeing ghosts is a possible sign of sickness. Because when enlightened you do not see ghosts as ghosts. And that would mean that those who do not see ghosts, and are not enlightened, are at least as sick as those unenlightened people who do see ghosts.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe that when ego is less, we are more able to use our inner senses, hence children and animals can be more sensitive.

But I also had a nice experience with my dog. We were walking early morning, pitch black. Suddenly the dog made a deep sound, standing still full of fear, not wanting to move an inch. Then I saw what the dog saw, a silhouette in the distance. Luckily I had my glasses on, so I could easily see it was a cow. I tried (as a test) to pull the dog towards "his ghost", but the dog really saw a ghost I guess, because normally when we pass the cow in daylight, he has no fear at all the sight of a cow.

So, I think many times when people/animals see ghosts it might be their fear/emotion. But I know that it's possible that Masters appear to me, so why not ghosts. Another thing I have experienced when I was very open, that I saw the emotion of other people take the form of ghosts. Everything is energy (E=mc2). So, if a person is very angry, it can be perceived as a troll or what not, but only when I am not enlightened I think. When I would be enlightened, I would clearly see these emotions for what they are, and not see silhouettes (but I am not sure of all of this, because I have not been experimenting much with it).

When we are ignorant we lose, when we are smart we try to gain it back

Maybe it might be illness (not enlightened), but then all the people who don't see it, probably are even more ill (unless enlightened)
I have some stories like that too. I will share tomorrow when I'm at my laptop :)

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I have my concerns that this is going to turn into a thread where people cherry pick my post and think that I'm saying "Ghosts are just physical illness" or "Ghosts are just illness", when actually I'm saying "Ghosts are real in my opinion. In some cases, they can be schizophrenia or some other condition, but many aren't. However, I take the stance that associating with ghosts is mostly meaningless and leads down a rabbit-hole that usually is high risk, little reward."
I suppose the point I was trying to make was that people labeled as psychotic often recognize their “hallucinations” as anything but, and through mutual sightings and identification of spirits, they can eliminate the possibility of it being something physical. Spiritual sickness, this is more likely. This isn’t some isolated incident, it appears to be quite common (other than my own experience, people have shared with me their own anecdotes, and whole groups have been formed from like individuals)
Don’t wanna cheery pick or derail this thread, sorry! :D

stvdv

I see people seeing ghosts as a possible sign of physical sickness (in which case, the ghosts could possibly not be real), spiritual sickness, or either being into the occult or doors having been opened
How I see it:

All people who are not enlightened are sick in one way or another (physical, emotional, spiritual)

We have outer senses and inner senses. The outer senses are useful in the material world (eat, drink, sleep, work etc). The inner senses are useful to pinpoint down and solve our hidden emotional stress. So, the inner senses when developed are an extra tool. You could call it "sickness" from the POV of enlightenment, BUT then you need to call all the others who do not have their inner senses opened (and still unenlightened) at least as sick, probably more sick.

stvdv

I have some stories like that too. I will share tomorrow when I'm at my laptop :)
Nice, I like to read your story:)

And I do the same. Nothing beats the laptop, when I need to type:)

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I think it'd be cool to talk about something. I may have dabbled in ghost stuff for awhile. I think it's called "spiritualism" but multi-tasking is hard on my phone to check. I sometimes call it the occult. Any way, during that time, I did have a lot of positive and negative emotions. I think more negative ones than positive. And during that time, I felt I started to see auras. I stopped seeing auras after I got into different ideologies and religions.

These days, I identify as Hindu, worshipper of Shiva, but even though I identify as Left Hand Path these days, I no longer see auras. I don't think I'm getting the right kind of energy to see them, at the current time, you see. What spiritual experiences I have these days, just seem slightly more strong and benevolent. But I don't see auras.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
If real, I'm all for tearing the gates to the occult/paranormal wide open and delving in. Tap into otherworldly energies with science, harness it, and feed it into our grids. Alternative, green energy.

stvdv

Take something as a broken heart
Good example. Emotion becomes energy and can actual damage the heart (take a form)

As for calling spirit ghosts, I don't believe that
I understand what you mean, and I agree. Though energy can take form (as in above heart example). Like Einstein (E=mc2)

I'd liken it to energy rather than an entity.
Physical (entity)
Emotional (energy)
Spiritual (beyond both)

I see all 3 options as useful to learn from

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Do you mean ghosts as in souls? I know my mother believes in spirits/entities (ghosts sounds sci-fi/horror movie), sees them, and sometimes weirdly enough talks to them. I have yet to see one(s) myself and would love to. As for how they are related to illness if going by my mother's and her coworkers stories, the closest I can genuinely imagine it as the movie Six Sense. Unless maybe you're saying there are poltergeists in people making some ill?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Do you mean ghosts as in souls? I know my mother believes in spirits/entities (ghosts sounds sci-fi/horror movie), sees them, and sometimes weirdly enough talks to them. I have yet to see one(s) myself and would love to. As for how they are related to illness if going by my mother's and her coworkers stories, the closest I can genuinely imagine it as the movie Six Sense. Unless maybe you're saying there are poltergeists in people making some ill?

I don't take the view that most people have poltergeists making them ill, no. I even have my concerns that the world is too quick to call things demonic possession. So I'd take a bit of an opposite view on that subject.

Yeah, I mean spirits/entities.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Good example. Emotion becomes energy and can actual damage the heart (take a form)

I understand what you mean, and I agree. Though energy can take form (as in above heart example). Like Einstein (E=mc2)

Physical (entity)
Emotional (energy)
Spiritual (beyond both)

I see all 3 options as useful to learn from

I'd kind of say energy is spiritual in that it has to do with one's whole well-being mental and physical. Energy from a holistic perspective can imbalance our emotions and physical state. Emotions are mental/neurological but I believe some people have skill to assess spiritual energies (lack of better words) to influence and heal heavy emotions (say if one is empathic and takes on people's heavy hot energy-auras) and lift them. I think that's why meditations are important and things that express who you are as a person-creative expression is another example.

That's how I would see it (just sharing my perspective).