• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ghosts?

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
One last question: Where is the substance that make up the ghosts coming from?

It's not a substance. It is an interactive "field". That is what our consciousness is anyway...fundamental interactions at work in our brains. Those fundamental interactions can and do exist outside of the brain as well. Exactly how interactive they can be outside of the brain is the question. That which was our "consciousness" never stops interacting.

---

Last edited:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Ghosts don't work as a creature. Either they're physical and thus bound by physical laws, or they are abstract and cannot be seen, felt, heard, etc. and couldn't interact with physical reality in any way.

You might want to at least consider the theory that there are planes/realms/dimensions that exist beyond our dense physical plane. And that entities can have bodies of matter and energy that are of those planes. The somewhat unusual situation of them trying to interact or relive things of the physical plane is what at lot of 'ghostly' phenomena is about.

At least that's my most reasonable theory:D

Last edited:

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
You might want to at least consider the theory that there are planes/realms/dimensions that exist beyond our dense physical plane. And that entities can have bodies of matter and energy that are of those planes. The somewhat unusual situation of them trying to interact or relive things of the physical plane is what at lot of 'ghostly' phenomena is about.

At least that's my most reasonable theory:D

Sounds quite reasonable.

idav

Being
Premium Member
A discrepancy in time, since time may not actually exist?

I love horror movies, even if it is fictitious, I like the idea of time crossing however it also seems like memory resides there like a video playing back where EM fields are very high. What I notice with all the movies is there is always a physical link. Place of immense trauma, burial of some sort, hanging. When the physical link is severed it goes away. Regarding this I haven't been able to determine if the ghosts still are there just no longer sensed or the severing of the bridge releases the haunting. Even most movie accounts consider it a releasing of the spirits. No bridge, no risidual effect to do haunting therefore nonexistence, or cross over as some people like to claim but it still fits the residual memory idea. Time crossing seems legit too since time really isn't always a factor and can be crossed in theory. This stays with the idea there needs to be a bridge but that it will not exist without that bridge.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I love horror movies, even if it is fictitious, I like the idea of time crossing however it also seems like memory resides there like a video playing back where EM fields are very high. What I notice with all the movies is there is always a physical link. Place of immense trauma, burial of some sort, hanging. When the physical link is severed it goes away. Regarding this I haven't been able to determine if the ghosts still are there just no longer sensed or the severing of the bridge releases the haunting. Even most movie accounts consider it a releasing of the spirits. No bridge, no risidual effect to do haunting therefore nonexistence, or cross over as some people like to claim but it still fits the residual memory idea. Time crossing seems legit too since time really isn't always a factor and can be crossed in theory. This stays with the idea there needs to be a bridge but that it will not exist without that bridge.

"Residual" hauntings are all the rage, I have no reason to even believe they make sense. Why the residual effect? What is the residual material? I think we may be had an instance of such in Ghostbusters, however the main ghosts were either ectoplasmic or conscious.

idav

Being
Premium Member
"Residual" hauntings are all the rage, I have no reason to even believe they make sense. Why the residual effect? What is the residual material? I think we may be had an instance of such in Ghostbusters, however the main ghosts were either ectoplasmic or conscious.

What I have been watching a lot of is those haunted house type movies. All based on "real life experience". I take it all with a grain of salt but can't help but seeing similarities. And real life accounts where, in real life, the next person trying to move in runs screaming from the house never to return. They don't always just make this stuff up but the cool stuff in the movies is usually bunk and the hauntings never seem as obvious as they make it in the movies.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
What I have been watching a lot of is those haunted house type movies. All based on "real life experience". I take it all with a grain of salt but can't help but seeing similarities. And real life accounts where, in real life, the next person trying to move in runs screaming from the house never to return. They don't always just make this stuff up but the cool stuff in the movies is usually bunk and the hauntings never seem as obvious as they make it in the movies.

I think, when the term residual haunting is used, the inference is 'automatic' activity, it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, and considering when and who sees it, why them? Why isn't the residual effect constant or "on time" etc. It just seems too convenient. If there are instances where the residual activity is very well attested to, then there is a possibility. One thing for sure, the residual 'skips' have to be unaware all the time, otherwise it makes no sense.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
The spirits will cross over into the next life when they are ready to. That is exactly what they do...they cross over. Some linger for long periods of time around the scene of their deaths. They are usually the ones that had some unfinished business or they died untimely or very traumatically. Not sure about this residual energy thing though. There are either spirits present or there is not. What people don't seem to realize is that the vast majority of spirits do not haunt, nor do they make themselves known to the living. For the most part they just keep to themselves. I even asked the spirits what was the longest period of time that any spirit has remained on the other side without crossing over. They said the longest any spirit has stayed was 2000 years.

yoda89

On Xtended Vacation
I'm one of those atheists who actually believe they are on a high plain not yet understood. I have had experiences with such and while I cannot give solid proof they do seem to occur. The notion of there being a unexplained being or energy is not that hard. Especially given our limited understanding of the universe. The difficulty becomes when people start to define such things without evidence.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
My girlfriend is able to see and talk with the spirits in pretty much the exact same way as that kid on the movie The Sixth Sense. Yeah, it's pretty crazy I know, but very cool at the same time. I don't see them like she does, but I do get to ask them all sorts of questions and she tells me what they say. She literally sees dead people.

---

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Of course ghosts are real, but that doesn't say much at all. Ghosts exist as experiences in the mind certainly, but anything beyond that is unsubstantiated.

idav

Being
Premium Member
My girlfriend is able to see and talk with the spirits in pretty much the exact same way as that kid on the movie The Sixth Sense. Yeah, it's pretty crazy I know, but very cool at the same time. I don't see them like she does, but I do get to ask them all sorts of questions and she tells me what they say. She literally sees dead people.

---

What I find odd is the need for that physical connection. There is no way to tell the difference between a residual or talking to the dead, they seem like the same thing. Some people get it from objects so how would that be spirits and not residual? Even the talking to dead there is a connection of some sort, there has to be. Put it this way, there is always a reason they are able to cling, that reason can spell residual just as much as ghost. Putting it yet another way I can't tell if someone is talking to spirits or they are just clairvoyant able to feel the energies (even personalities) long passed. How would we know?

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
What I find odd is the need for that physical connection. There is no way to tell the difference between a residual or talking to the dead, they seem like the same thing. Some people get it from objects so how would that be spirits and not residual? Even the talking to dead there is a connection of some sort, there has to be. Put it this way, there is always a reason they are able to cling, that reason can spell residual just as much as ghost. Putting it yet another way I can't tell if someone is talking to spirits or they are just clairvoyant able to feel the energies (even personalities) long passed. How would we know?

I see what you're saying and I think you're right. There is always some residual force or interaction...a connectivity of some sort, a clinginess. I believe our memories might work in a similar fashion.

Stephen Dedalus

Trickster
Bump.
Ghosts are reflections of our mind.
When I was 7, I saw a ghost. At that time, I was very distressed, excruciate by a lot of fears and anxietes. So my worst nightmare materialized at my eyes.
People who see ghosts is turmented by the fear of them.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
Bump.
Ghosts are reflections of our mind.
When I was 7, I saw a ghost. At that time, I was very distressed, excruciate by a lot of fears and anxietes. So my worst nightmare materialized at my eyes.
People who see ghosts is turmented by the fear of them.

Some, not all. My girlfriend is not afraid of them and she sees them all the time. It's like second nature to her.

Stephen Dedalus

Trickster
Some, not all. My girlfriend is not afraid of them and she sees them all the time. It's like second nature to her.
Perhaps she's unconsciously afraid by something incarnate by ghosts. Or if she isn't scared they're just a mirror of her thoughts.
Or she takes drugs, I don't know.

I'll give you another example.
My uncle frequently talks with deads.
He knows that they're just hallucinations, due to the sense of loss, but in these voices he hears his mother, his father, my cousin, his best friend like they're real, and he can't stop them.

Last edited:

Sees

Dragonslayer
Ghost/spirit/entity experiences, with two or more generally sane and reasonably skeptical people, are the best kind when it comes to deciding if it is simply a brain acting wacky.

I think the world we perceive, sense, prod, analyze...is like the cover of a large book and for most people the book generally stays shut and locked. The contents of any of the pages is seen as crazy talk, insanity, wishful thinking, delusional, fantastical myth.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
Perhaps she's unconsciously afraid by something incarnate by ghosts. Or if she isn't scared they're just a mirror of her thoughts.
Or she takes drugs, I don't know.

I'll give you another example.
My uncle frequently talks with deads.
He knows that they're just hallucinations, due to the sense of loss, but in these voices he hears his mother, his father, my cousin, his best friend like they're real, and he can't stop them.

That sounds like schizophrenia, this is different. This is not simply hearing voices or seeing illusions. She can make them go away if she wants to. She simply tells them to go away and they listen to her. She sees dead people. She sees people who have been in car accidents, or burning buildings, or people who have commited suicide or have been murdered. How she knows this is because she can see the actual wounds or trauma associated with their deaths...missing body parts or disfigured faces, or even those impaled with objects protruding fom them. She knows when people have died from car accidents in certain locations because she can actually see them standing along the sides of the highway or by intersections. When we are outdoors and far away from civilization she does not see them or hear them and that is because there are no human spirits way out in the woods anyways. She does not see them in graveyards, or at least very rarely. She found out her best friend in school had committed suicide, not because someone told her, but because she was actually visited by her friends ghost.