• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ghosts!!!

Kalidas

I am a little curious, do any of you believe in "ghosts"? what is the general Hindu stance on the idea of "ghosts"?

I honestly don't believe in their existence, I have seen no reason to believe in them and have even less of a reason to. Even if a soul did stick around and just "hang out" with mortals I doubt it would be dangerous or be recognisable as what we once knew as a human. We are not our bodies thus expecting a soul to take on a form it once belonged to seems contradictory.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I am a little curious, do any of you believe in "ghosts"? what is the general Hindu stance on the idea of "ghosts"?

I honestly don't believe in their existence, I have seen no reason to believe in them and have even less of a reason to. Even if a soul did stick around and just "hang out" with mortals I doubt it would be dangerous or be recognisable as what we once knew as a human. We are not our bodies thus expecting a soul to take on a form it once belonged to seems contradictory.

Stuck between births, yes, but as all else, it's temporary. Generally when the death did not allow for a smooth transition ... ie. violent death, or a feeling of unresolved issues. But once it gets straightened out, they move on, and look for a new body.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
I go back and forth. I certainly love the idea of ghosts, but whether they are an actual thing, I have never experienced one.

:camp:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

I believe in ghosts. The quantity and quality of the sightings makes the phenomena extremely likely to me.

From my Theosophical study (which gets its basis from Vedic thought); humans have astral doubles that interpenetrate the physical body while alive. Upon death these astral forms move on to higher planes. Certain less fortunate astral forms with attachment to earthly things will hang around close to the physical level. They may even draw energy from the surrounding environment and faintly materialize. Eventually they wise up and move higher.

Maya3

I don´t know, I´m a very skeptical person. But I have had a couple of experiences...though I´m not sure how much I believe in those experiences myself. There might be a logical explanation.

Maya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I could read it, I think I should write again myself.

Here's the first two paragraphs ...

[FONT=&quot]The Release of Syne’s Ghost[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Real cousin narrated a Hallowe’en story of the demise of Mr. Syne by some past mystery, and that ever since the house had been haunted, presumably by Mr. Syne’s ghost. There was innuendo of murder, but no confirmation. No Real people spoke much about it. I supposed they were either frightened or polite. There were hillbilly tales that one should not speak of ghosts, and still some descendents of Syne’s family around, waiting to be insulted.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]At the weekly meeting I yapped about it to Feather and River. The Imaginary brothers’ ears perked up and a flowing tongue wagged, “Better than watching baseball, digging holes to China or playing with gasoline. Better than all this pretend hogwash around here. We should have a look-see wander-gander about it.”[/FONT]

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma

We have bodies even after death, our this body is five elemental and is called Sthul Sharira but when we die we are not bodyless, we have a three elemental body often called Shukshma Sharira, Similarly atman have different bodies in different states like Manomanaya Sharira, Vasana Sharira etc..
The old souls i.e those who wanders on earth for more than 100 years or more without reincarnating are ghosts, however most of the people when encounters with any Atman simply call them ghosts.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member

I wouldn't say that I believe in them but rather that I think it likely that they exist.

I don't think that being a ghost is a choice just as being in any body is not a choice.

A ghost is a subtle body and possibly the subtle body that is 'between' the physical and astral body which we already possess. But I'm not sure. My ghost info is mixed from a number of cultural sources.

I think that some could be dangerous and some not. I'm sure they are mostly bored. If I were a ghost I'd be a prankster for sure :p

Makaranda

I go back and forth. I certainly love the idea of ghosts, but whether they are an actual thing, I have never experienced one.

:camp:

Very similar to my view. Love the idea of them, it'd be exciting if they were real, but I'm sceptical pending confirmation in my own experience.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Honestly, even as a spiritual Hindu, I often times remain agnostic on varying issues. Ghosts being one of them.

I personally don't believe they exist, but that doesn't mean that they couldn't.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
There's a ghost/demon that owes me and Kalicharan $500,000,000.​

Isn't that right, Kalicharan ?​

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It is a nice bit of money. What do you plan? To go and get the money in his/her world? :D That is why Charvakists said "bhasmi bhutasya dehasya punarāgamanam kutaha".

Andal

resident hypnotist
Having lived in a haunted house I believe in ghosts (beings caught between lives) as well as far more malevolent beings.

Aum Hari Aum!