• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ghost in the Shell

Bob the Unbeliever

Now, this is a long running Anime series, and I've not remotely seen them all-- but I've seen quite a few of the franchise.

I have always loved the concept behind it.

So, on Amazon, it was suggested I'd like a Live Action version, with Scarlet Johanson as the lead, "Major".

Since she's quite adept at playing robotic influenced parts? (there's a very very weird one of her, and she plays a murderous fem-fatale robot thing.. beyond weird)

Anyway, just watched the whole movie. It's from 2017, so it's been out a couple of years. I think it was a very good take on the franchise.

They could do another, perhaps. The concept is wide open for sequels, just like there were multiple ones in the Anime version.

Makes me wonder, if there was a comic series? Don't know-- Japanese printed Anime is rather beyond my reach, as I do not read Japanese.

Edit: This is the Wiki entry on the concepts. It's worth reading, if you plan on watching any of the movies/series.

Ghost in the Shell - Wikipedia

Further reading about the world behind the movies:
World of Ghost in the Shell - Wikipedia

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh ghost in the shell! That was pretty good. Though there was a little bit of a brouhaha over whether or not it was okay for Miss Johanson to be playing an Asian character or something. Which I now realise is a little silly, I mean she was playing a robot.
But Animes often start out as Mangas. I think there used to be (or still is) a rule that for an anime to be produced it has to start out with a manga run of some description. But don’t quote me on that.

Bob the Unbeliever

I edited my OP, with some links to Wikipedia articles on the franchise. Well worth reading, if anyone wants to know more about the series.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Though there was a little bit of a brouhaha over whether or not it was okay for Miss Johanson to be playing an Asian character or something.
I wonder if people will ever realize that over 99% of the time actors play and portray people and things they are not? That's why it's called "acting." And that there are definitely way more important things to be worried about.

David T

Premium Member
Now, this is a long running Anime series, and I've not remotely seen them all-- but I've seen quite a few of the franchise.

I have always loved the concept behind it.

So, on Amazon, it was suggested I'd like a Live Action version, with Scarlet Johanson as the lead, "Major".

Since she's quite adept at playing robotic influenced parts? (there's a very very weird one of her, and she plays a murderous fem-fatale robot thing.. beyond weird)

Anyway, just watched the whole movie. It's from 2017, so it's been out a couple of years. I think it was a very good take on the franchise.

They could do another, perhaps. The concept is wide open for sequels, just like there were multiple ones in the Anime version.

Makes me wonder, if there was a comic series? Don't know-- Japanese printed Anime is rather beyond my reach, as I do not read Japanese.

Edit: This is the Wiki entry on the concepts. It's worth reading, if you plan on watching any of the movies/series.

Ghost in the Shell - Wikipedia

Further reading about the world behind the movies:
World of Ghost in the Shell - Wikipedia
Body mind dualism
All the way down huge huge rabbit hole. If you end up in alice in wonderland. You are now the man in the mirror. and as you write it will appear like this. Backwards
leonardo-writing.jpg

I actually did this as a thought experiment and i can do that. I thought this is wierd and interesting i am there and i am here. I always look up historical writings on my experiences to align. No original thought no oh wow this is cool i am really onto somethimg. NEVER! Originality is a mental hospital its full of originality of just their own. I did not know this existed till i googled it. Dacinchi was left handed and wrote mirror.
I am not davinchi please i make no claim As such please dont be srupid. But i am left handed and so was he. And he was as an artist an explorer of perspective regardless.

Conscious is a quality not quantifible and ultimately not even classifiable or catagorizable other than what we experience. Its bigger and way way older than us as a species in broader sense. And all you little pipsqueak atheists it is extremely dangerous. Undefinably dangerous if ignored, misrepresented, used to gain power, about everything modern culture is about there is a monster in the basememt that is ******.. you would think its the devil far far worse.

Narure has you me all of us trapped with us pretending we are free! From what exactly? The jungian unconsious is your worst nightmare if you want it to be. Or your sea that you can walk upon here there and everywhere. You appear here then you appear there very freeing actually. And i can appear in everyone elses mirror i am all was watching. I see you you see me not!

But i do think a few do indeed understand this little trick. Sociopath.

Note to bob i avoid an massively abused term here replaced it with other terms but same thing. And No defects!

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Finally. Someone sane!
I don't know if I'm sane, but I lost all patients for petty and trivial bickering over crap that doesn't matter. As an artist, I'm also vehemently anti-censorship and I utterly reject any notion that art must conform to the sensitivities of others or what others think is safe or appropriate. Might also help I grew up in a world before safe spaces and trigger warnings were a thing. "Sticks and stones," they taught us. Don't like what's on the TV? Turn the channel.
But sane? Depends on the day.

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know if I'm sane, but I lost all patients for petty and trivial bickering over crap that doesn't matter. As an artist, I'm also vehemently anti-censorship and I utterly reject any notion that art must conform to the sensitivities of others or what others think is safe or appropriate. Might also help I grew up in a world before safe spaces and trigger warnings were a thing. "Sticks and stones," they taught us. Don't like what's on the TV? Turn the channel. But sane? Depends on the day.
standing-ovation.gif