• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ghana: anti-gay bill proposing 10-year prison sentences sparks outrage

danieldemol

Premium Member
'Draft anti-gay legislation submitted to Ghana’s parliament could propose up to 10 years in jail for LGBTQ+ people as well as groups and individuals who advocate for their rights, express sympathy or offer social or medical support, in one of the most draconian and sweeping anti-gay laws proposed around the world.

Support for intersex people would also be criminalised and the government could direct intersex people to receive “gender realignment” surgery, said the draft legislation.

A leaked copy of the promotion of proper human sexual rights and Ghanaian family values bill, widely circulated online and confirmed as authentic by diplomats with access to the draft bill, has sparked outrage and growing fear among human rights activists.'

Source: Ghana: anti-gay bill proposing 10-year prison sentences sparks outrage

Looks as though they are targeting Asexual people as well.

I wanted to put this in religious news since I suspect religion is a substantial motive for this new bill, but the article seems to focus more on the politicians presenting it than the religions that are behind it.

Anyway shame on the supporters of this bill

In my opinion.

Justanatheist

Yet another
'Draft anti-gay legislation submitted to Ghana’s parliament could propose up to 10 years in jail for LGBTQ+ people as well as groups and individuals who advocate for their rights, express sympathy or offer social or medical support, in one of the most draconian and sweeping anti-gay laws proposed around the world.

Support for intersex people would also be criminalised and the government could direct intersex people to receive “gender realignment” surgery, said the draft legislation.

A leaked copy of the promotion of proper human sexual rights and Ghanaian family values bill, widely circulated online and confirmed as authentic by diplomats with access to the draft bill, has sparked outrage and growing fear among human rights activists.'

I wanted to put this in religious news since I suspect religion is a substantial motive for this new bill, but the article seems to focus more on the politicians presenting it than the religions that are behind it.

In my opinion.
Yet another example of Religion in Action. Christianity took anti gay ideas to Africa and preached their intolerance.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I wanted to put this in religious news since I suspect religion is a substantial motive for this new bill
Must be religious motive behind this. No humane human being in his right mind, would ever have such horrible thoughts

Was my first idea too, that he must be a Christian, hence I googled and found that he indeed seems to be a Christian

Below I got from his facebook page.
A lot of uninformed commentary, emotional huffing and puffing and vain grandstanding from persons who have failed to grasp the import of the Bill. So far, not even one intellectual challenge seen. We are focused on the substance and would pass this Bill.
1f981.png

Info from his facebook page
A young Social Democrat with a true love for the Motherland. I believe that Ghana is a land full of opportunity and blessed beyond measure. If we all do our little bit, we can make her a cynosure to other peoples far and near. I believe in Ghana!

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
It appears Ghana wishes to preserve their values and culture. Culture evolves obviously and I’m sure they are open to new ideas that operate in harmony with their current Weltanschauung, but it looks like lgbt lifestyles and activism is not among them. That’s Ghana’s choice and I have nothing against them for it.

Justanatheist

It appears Ghana wishes to preserve their values and culture. Culture evolves obviously and I’m sure they are open to new ideas that operate in harmony with their current Weltanschauung, but it looks like lgbt lifestyles and activism is not among them. That’s Ghana’s choice and I have nothing against them for it.
I presume then you have nothing against white people who wish to preserve their culture and through any non whites out of "their" country?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe it's unjust, and injustice is harmful.
What is the purpose of this law? Why make something natural and harmless illegal?
Maybe we should outlaw left-handedness, too.
What governments are currently trying to “throw non-whites out of their country”?
The USA.

Aštra’el

I believe it's unjust, and injustice is harmful.
Why make something natural and harmless illegal?

It is your opinion that Ghana’s treatment of homosexuals is unjust. It is your opinion that homosexuality is “natural and harmless”. I am not against your opinions, but Ghana has different opinions, and I am not against those either. Ghana will decide what is best for themselves.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Quick question:

The holocaust. Good or bad?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

In my opinion.
I wish that governments would stay out of people's bedrooms and their private lives.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Ever the fascist refrain.
There's nothing wrong with wanting to preserve cultures and values. That's the entire point of indigenous rights movements. But this is not a good example of that, for sure. Their homophobia is ironically a leftover of colonialism. It's one thing to reject the Western gay culture and the politics surrounding that, but attacking consenting adults over private activity is quite another. Or forcing intersex people to have surgery.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
There's nothing wrong with wanting to preserve cultures and values. That's the entire point of indigenous rights movements. But this is not a good example of that, for sure. Their homophobia is ironically a leftover of colonialism. It's one thing to reject the Western gay culture and the politics surrounding that, but attacking consenting adults over private activity is quite another. Or forcing intersex people to have surgery.

When your preservation of cultures and values means criminalizing people because of their sexual orientation, religion, race, or any other demographic characteristic that makes you "other," yeah there's something wrong with it. And again, it's commonly part of fascist thinking and rhetoric that they use to rationalize discrimination.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What governments are currently trying to “throw non-whites out of their country”?
It is your opinion that Ghana’s treatment of homosexuals is unjust. It is your opinion that homosexuality is “natural and harmless”. I am not against your opinions, but Ghana has different opinions, and I am not against those either. Ghana will decide what is best for themselves.
But my beliefs are based on facts, and tolerance for difference. What are your and Ghana's opinions based on? Conventionalism? The 'ick' factor? Religious propriety?

Can you show examples where gayness has been harmful or dangerous?

Last edited:

Aštra’el

What are your and Ghana's opinions based on? Conventionalism? The 'ick' factor? Religious propriety?

All I’ve really said is that I’m not against the way Ghana chooses to govern themselves. This doesn’t mean I share their worldview. Or yours.

Aštra’el

So, to be clear, you think that it is morally wrong to imprison people for up to ten years just for being gay?

No. It is not right or wrong. If it is the law, it is lawful, and I do not oppose it. If it is not the law, I would suggest they enjoy their freedom and try not to take it for granted. Things could be so much worse.