• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting old is a privilege

frbnsn

If you want to be a wise and graceful, self-centered, beloved one, you must begin by correctly understanding why aging occurs and understanding the value of being human.
You should perceive aging not as corrupt, decay or old, but as maturation and wisdom.

You should remember the preventive health measures and remember that preventing diseases is much easier and cheaper than treating them.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If you want to be a wise and graceful, self-centered, beloved one, you must begin by correctly understanding why aging occurs and understanding the value of being human.
You should perceive aging not as corrupt, decay or old, but as maturation and wisdom.

You should remember the preventive health measures and remember that preventing diseases is much easier and cheaper than treating them.
Aging is only a part of life, but we will experience more suffering the older we get in bodily pain, lose of hair, sickness, wrinkles. But this is only a part of getting older. Not much to get attached to :)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Just how is loss of hair or getting wrinkles suffering?
For many people to lose hair is suffering because of the fashion, or the attachments to looks.
for others getting wrinkle means they will use a lot of money on plastic surgery to remove them so they look younger.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Well, I'm in my mid 50s, and I've remained pretty healthy throughout my life. I'm rarely sick, and I've never had any serious conditions or illnesses.

I've been injured a few times; got knocked on the head more than once. Every time I tell someone about my head injuries, they always say "Oh, that explains a lot."

I don't really think about it that much, though. I've known people who might fall into the category of "health nut." They go to the health food store, they shun McDonald's and other fast food, they're constantly talking about it. They're obsessed with being healthy, yet I've noticed that they're typically more sick on average than your typical chain-smoking, junk food eater.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
For many people to lose hair is suffering because of the fashion, or the attachments to looks.
for others getting wrinkle means they will use a lot of money on plastic surgery to remove them so they look younger.
I distinguish between what's controllable and what isn't. Arthritic pain, disease ... outside my control. But having some emotional reaction to losing hair as one ages is just silly. Find something real to cry about.

But yes, for very immature surface people I suppose it's 'painful'.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Just how is loss of hair or getting wrinkles suffering?

Reminds me of Jessica in Logan's Run talking to the old man.

"Those cracks on your face, do they hurt? Can I touch them?"

That's how I once envisioned my retirement - living in the US Capitol with a clowder of cats.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I distinguish between what's controllable and what isn't. Arthritic pain, disease ... outside my control. But having some emotional reaction to losing hair as one ages is just silly. Find something real to cry about.

But yes, for very immature surface people I suppose it's 'painful'.
Of course wrinkle and lost of hair is not a big suffering, but if we look at how humans are attached to unimportnt things, and it is form of suffering

pearl

In our current reality much of the dignity of aging is lost. Using terms such as elderly, as opposed to elder, etc., one denoting week and feebleness the other wisdom of the long lived. Much is determined after retirement and how we choose to live. Remaining healthy is often a choice requiring not only medical intervention but remaining active.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
These days, when I go to the barber, me ear holes need trim'n.
I no longer go to barber. I do the lawn mower style with a $30 Walmart machine. Nose hairs, I yank with tweezers. Ear hairs, another much smaller machine, like a weed whacker.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I no longer go to barber. I do the lawn mower style with a $30 Walmart machine. Nose hairs, I yank with tweezers. Ear hairs, another much smaller machine, like a weed whacker.
Yer lucky....I still benefit from professional barbering.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yer lucky....I still benefit from professional barbering.
Ever since retirement, I've had the privilege of not caring about physical looks. I didn't care before, but some folks (school suits and ties) did, so i went along. Still, some little kids mistook me for the school custodian.