• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting drunk at Communion.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Has anyone ever gotten drunk from the Eucharist?

I recall a friend from high school got drunk as hell at her First Communion when she accidentally drank the entire chalice, instead of taking a sip. I used to get tipsy when an Italian priest, Father Mario, presided over Mass. He would just put a tiny bit of water in the wine. That was a lot of fun. Jesus' Blood has a high alcohol content and I :heart: it.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Mods, move this to Interfaith Discussion, please, since there's hardly any Catholics here as it is. Would make the discussion more fun, anyway. Lol.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Personally, I have no problem with inebriation during ceremonies and rituals, although the usual sip shouldn't normally affect anyone that much.

To me, wine and beer and evidence that the gods/goddesses/spirits love us and want us to be happy...of course, excess can lead to problems, but that's why I support taking the middle way...

Inebriation is one of the many ways to break down the barriers we put up to keep us separate from the spirits in the world. Some need it less than others, of course.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic

I recall a friend from high school got drunk as hell at her First Communion when she accidentally drank the entire chalice, instead of taking a sip. I used to get tipsy when an Italian priest, Father Mario, presided over Mass. He would just put a tiny bit of water in the wine. That was a lot of fun. Jesus' Blood has a high alcohol content and I :heart: it.

Okay, I'm back and can legitimately participate this time. *Ahem*

As a Dionysos worshipper, I raise a cup to your Italian padré! :D

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Well, I used to volunteer three times a week (edit: so I went to Mass every morning and sometimes mid-day Mass if not morning) and go to Sunday Mass. So I had wine all week. Tipsy, probably. I did wonder why I was having so many seizures. Then I realize I am actually drinking wine. I cut down and took the bread only. They said it's the same. I never thought it was.

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
My cousin insists that true Communion is done with very strong wine. Apparently, her Priest feels the same way.
I've heard many stories of people leaving that particular Church feeling quite happy, shall we say.

Not exactly communion but as a child I attended some kind of festival. I forget what it was exactly but one of the offerings was some kind of alcohol. I didn't realize this and neither did me ma. Needless to say I was quite buzzed.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Well, I used to volunteer three times a week (edit: so I went to Mass every morning and sometimes mid-day Mass if not morning) and go to Sunday Mass. So I had wine all week. Tipsy, probably. I did wonder why I was having so many seizures. Then I realize I am actually drinking wine. I cut down and took the bread only. They said it's the same. I never thought it was.
Sorry about the seizures. Alcohol can definitely trigger them.

Regolith Based Lifeforms

Early Earth Was Not Sterile

I've heard catholic churches aren't the best place to get drunk and lose one's inhibitions, if you get what i mean. I hold no Catholics i meet responsible for deeds of other Catholics in the past, but there's some chances i just won't take.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
It was a 2by4... I could have sworn I saw my wife behind me!
And here I thought she was just trying to make shish-kabob out of you. I musta been at a bad angle to see where she was trying to put the 2 X 4.

RESOLUTION

Did your friend not attend confirmation classes. In the English Christian Catholic church you have to attend lessons before being confirmed and allowed to take communion. It is never a good idea to become drunk from communion.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Did your friend not attend confirmation classes. In the English Christian Catholic church you have to attend lessons before being confirmed and allowed to take communion. It is never a good idea to become drunk from communion.
Everyone has to take classes before being Confirmed. People make mistakes. It's harmless and this thread is good-natured.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I wish I was allowed to down the chalice...I've purchased my own wine and consecrated it and chugged it down till I was inebriated.

I guess only God knows whether the Spirit of God listened to my invocations and transubstantiated it into blood :)

arthra

Baha'i

A long time ago I served at an altar...
I think there are reasons those who serve the sacrament allow people to sip the wine holding the chalice close to the person but not allowing them to say guzzle it.

I was once asked to drink what was left of a "reserve sacrament" in a chalice and afterwards had to teach a Bible class... that was with a good deal of effort.

Being a Baha'i now I abstain totally from alcohol and am glad for it.