• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting back to the Tao

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
I have been reading the Bible of late and trying to understand what I am reading and how that applies to my life and although I have not stopped this study and there were times, mostly in Deuteronomy I questioned why anyone would go this route but I keep on reading..... but it was beginning to feel rather oppressive. The article I read yesterday and what I read today seem to have lifted a weight from my shoulders

I have for many years leaned towards a Taoist view of things, maybe because of my Chinese martial arts background, maybe because it just seemed to fit, or maybe some other reason I do not know. Also I have never seen any conflict with looking at various religious beliefs from a Taoist point of view.

Today I was perusing various websites and I found myself on sites that discussed Taoism and I came across this site

I read the following quote, from the above linked page, and it made a rather large difference to my day, my current bible study and it does agree with how I look at things.

maybe it will help someone else

Another way of understanding this is that the sage person understands the reality of good and evil, whereas the fool concentrates on the concept of good and evil. The sage knows that any evil will soon be replaced by good, the fool is forever fruitlessly trying to eliminate evil. Similar to the Buddhist concept of Sunyata ("the void"), good and evil are just empty conceptual abstractions that have no permanent independent existence.

David T

Premium Member
I have been reading the Bible of late and trying to understand what I am reading and how that applies to my life and although I have not stopped this study and there were times, mostly in Deuteronomy I questioned why anyone would go this route but I keep on reading..... but it was beginning to feel rather oppressive. The article I read yesterday and what I read today seem to have lifted a weight from my shoulders

I have for many years leaned towards a Taoist view of things, maybe because of my Chinese martial arts background, maybe because it just seemed to fit, or maybe some other reason I do not know. Also I have never seen any conflict with looking at various religious beliefs from a Taoist point of view.

Today I was perusing various websites and I found myself on sites that discussed Taoism and I came across this site

I read the following quote, from the above linked page, and it made a rather large difference to my day, my current bible study and it does agree with how I look at things.

First. Sorry about my flair up in my defect post. I usually don't flair up that bad. Occasionally but that topic is first a very personal one. Second I am correct it's a value that doesn't exist in nature or the tao. Is the tao defective? Is the tao the generator of defects? Does the term defect and the tao make sense? The tao is the tao, what ever we say about the tao is not the tao.

Those writings are are profound Respect the Tao. To not respect it can get me mad. It shouldn't I am not perfect. None the less on the topic defect I am correct there is in the tao only unique, everything is always in perfect order.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

FWIW, even when I was a young born-again Christian teenager, I found the Tao Te Ching and the other Taoist writings that I was able to acquire were both quite inspiring and thought-provoking...and I never saw a contradiction in being Christian and being (at least potentially) a Taoist. I still like to read the writings of Taoism and other Eastern religions, although there is much that I haven't read yet.

Thanks for sharing.