• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Get Up

exchemist

Veteran Member
Have you gone for a walk today or done some exercise? If you're physically able and the weather allows it, go get some steps in!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2022/10/04/walk-more-steps-live-longer/

:dancers::blueheart:
Er, yes. Took a turn round Wandsworth Common in the sunshine this afternoon, for about 45mins, so I suppose I walked about 2-3 miles.

2000 steps seems to be about a mile, so that would be 4000-6000 steps.

But I notice this study is a mere correlation and does not claim a causal link. It could be that healthier people tend to walk more, rather than walkers becoming more healthy.

Heyo

Veteran Member

Gargovic Malkav

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I walked to and from a coffee shop this morning, about a mile round trip. It's a gorgeous day here. I need to go grocery shopping so that will allow me to get some more walking in.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I'm about to take the dog for her morning walk where I'll be attacked by plovers and magpies (an Australian thing), stray dogs, bad drivers, bicycles and angry joggers (I'm guessing they're a world wide problem) but I shall battle on for 30 or 40 minutes.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I did my usual: short hike followed by a 4 mile bike ride.

Funny: I was sitting down finishing my last cup of coffee earlier, wondering if I should get my day going or goof off in the forums some more so I opened "Recent Posts and at the top of the list was "Get Up". :D

So I did.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Yep...walked to and from the local basketball stadium twice, pushing a pram.

I mean, I did plenty of other walking too, but that was the instance where I could easily have jumped in my car, and decided not to specifically for the pleasure and exercise of walking.

I suspect I'll need to do this more, and more deliberately. My main exercise at the moment is playing competition basketball (and to a lesser extent coaching) and I turn 48 this year. Might have a finite lifespan in terms of playing.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm about to take the dog for her morning walk where I'll be attacked by plovers and magpies (an Australian thing), stray dogs, bad drivers, bicycles and angry joggers (I'm guessing they're a world wide problem) but I shall battle on for 30 or 40 minutes.

Our local maggies don't swoop us. Been feeding them for about 3 generations, and they're very good at recognising 'friends'.
Something that's backed by science.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Our local maggies don't swoop us. Been feeding them for about 3 generations, and they're very good at recognising 'friends'.
Something that's backed by science.

Ours don't swoop if I walk on my own but if I have the dog they go after her. A hazard of owning a cat size dog I guess. The plovers are just plain mean, they attack anytime.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Ours don't swoop if I walk on my own but if I have the dog they go after her. A hazard of owning a cat size dog I guess. The plovers are just plain mean, they attack anytime.

Huh...weird. I have a cat-sized dog, and they completely ignore him.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
An oft repeated tale probably known to most of you ...

After many years a noted engineer realized that it was way past time that she return to her university to thank her professor - the person that literally changed her life.

It didn't take long to track him down on campus and, when she saw him walking in her direction, she was surprised to find herself feeling both exhilarated and shy. He, on the other hand, looked older but still energetic. She called to him as he came close: "Professor, it's Sarah. I was a student of yours many years ago."

"Wonderful!" he replied. "What brings you back here?"

"I just needed to tell you that what you said to me when I graduated changed my life. I truly cannot thank you enough."

The professor smiled broadly, thought for a few seconds, and then said: "I am so very pleased, Sarah, but I need to be honest with you. I've taught for many years and proudly participated in the graduation of thousands of fine students. I simply don't remember our interaction. Tell me, what advice could I have possibly offered that would have had such an impact?"

"I remember it distinctly." she replied. "I heard my name called, stood, and walked across the stage. You smiled as I approached and, as you placed the diploma in my hand, you said quietly ...

'Keep walking.' "

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Have you gone for a walk today or done some exercise? If you're physically able and the weather allows it, go get some steps in!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2022/10/04/walk-more-steps-live-longer/

:dancers::blueheart:
Walking? What's that? /s

It's true, but I think sometimes more that what the so called experts recommend is better. I admire our local Sikhs who have walking in their very culture. Boss (Mrs. Vinayaka, for those unfamiliar with 'Boss'. ) walks every day. Winter is tough due to ice. Personally, I need more of a purpose, so I'll go the store, make an excuse, and in summer I work a ton at landscaping. Winter is more the stationary bike while watching TV.