• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gerrymandering A-OK per Supreme Court

tigrers2019

This decision has triggered a now coming civil war. The Republican party now is locked in with a far majority of seats available at the State level. They have nothing but distain for the Middle Class on down and are determined to take away what little we have.

The fight now has become close range and extremely personal. I can only thank God that I do not have any family or any other love one's that will be bearing the agony of the very near future. I believe God will call me home before anything starts to happen. I can only hope that a miracle occurs to right this country.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
This decision has triggered a now coming civil war. The Republican party now is locked in with a far majority of seats available at the State level. They have nothing but distain for the Middle Class on down and are determined to take away what little we have.

The fight now has become close range and extremely personal. I can only thank God that I do not have any family or any other love one's that will be bearing the agony of the very near future. I believe God will call me home before anything starts to happen. I can only hope that a miracle occurs to right this country.
No link?

Supreme Court OKs Excessive Partisan Gerrymandering | HuffPost

Not good news either way. With the Democrats taking control on that level we may now have ten years of Gerrymandering going the other way. This is not good for the U.S.. I don't care which party does it, the result is a House that does not reflect the public as a whole.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Democrats have been gerrymandering in Calif for years to the point there is no point trying to run as the opposing party in any district. The folks in power want to remain in power.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Democrats have been gerrymandering in Calif for years to the point there is no point trying to run as the opposing party in any district. The folks in power want to remain in power.
Possibly. But tell us, how have they gerrymandered? Most people do not understand the concept or how it works.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Yes, people always think it is one sided and only see it when it is against their political leanings.

Wandering Monk

Wow, talk about bilious fulmination!

The only people who are talking about civil war are extremists.

Gerrymandering has been going on for a couple of centuries, but apparently it is only bad when Republicans do it.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Let's not be alarmist and please recognize that gerrymandering not being a legal issue doesn't mean as a nation it needs to be accepted as okay. Frankly, I agree in the sense that the problems of representation are far beyond the scope of the courts. Our democracy hasn't been truly representational in a long time, and that is without gerrymandering.

Wandering Monk

Let's not be alarmist and please recognize that gerrymandering not being a legal issue doesn't mean as a nation it needs to be accepted as okay. Frankly, I agree in the sense that the problems of representation are far beyond the scope of the courts. Our democracy hasn't been truly representational in a long time, and that is without gerrymandering.

Been around since 1789:

Gerrymandering in the United States - Wikipedia

David1967

Premium Member

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Possibly. But tell us, how have they gerrymandered? Most people do not understand the concept or how it works.

Basically they look at the registered voters and draw lines so all of the democrats are in one district and all of the republicans are in the other district. District lines are drawn based on party registration so a specific party affiliation is a guarantee win in that district.

California's congressional districts - Wikipedia

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Basically they look at the registered voters and draw lines so all of the democrats are in one district and all of the republicans are in the other district. District lines are drawn based on party registration so a specific party affiliation is a guarantee win in that district.

California's congressional districts - Wikipedia
That is not gerrymandering since that would ideally guarantee a representation that mirrored the population. One can gerrymander districts so that The Democratic ones are extremely Democratic. And the Republican ones are weakly Republican. Or vice versa. When one does that it hurts the Democrats (or Republicans if reversed). Yes, they will have an absolutely guaranteed seat, but the total number of seats will tend to be Republican. From the Wiki article on gerrymandering that was linked above:

800px-DifferingApportionment.svg.png

You can see two types of gerrymandering. If one knows that one has a strong advantage in the vote in an area as in the upper left, one can gerrymander an area so that one party gets all of the seats. If one has a minority of voters one can still get a majority of seats if drawn as in the upper right. That resulted in extremely strong yellow seats and weak yellow ones. But since one cares only about the number of seats the green party would clearly prefer to have 60% of the seats when they had only 40% of the vote. The latter is what the Republicans have been accused of doing on a nationwide scale so that even though they have had a minority of the votes they still had a majority of seats in the House in the past.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
My take is that SCOTUS turned the issue over to the states to be resolved locally.

Pretty much - it's a legislation issue, not a legal issue. I understand why the decision was made as it was, but... it does still concern me.

Honestly, this is what we need to do - Rethinking Representation - completely rethink how representation is done in the first place.

pearl

I seem to remember that it is possible for a candidate to be elected but because of redistricting may not take his elected seat, to be sworn in. Can't remember what state this was.