• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Germany and Fascism

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Not history, but now.

"
"The fact that we're seeing an alarming amount of ammunition and weapons just disappearing from bases, and landing in the hands of far-right soldiers. I mean, we're seeing the tip of an iceberg here [in this planned coup case] that I suspect really runs much deeper. This is very alarming. It's important to remember you don't need that many highly trained motivated armed soldiers to pose a very serious threat to democracy."

The coup-plotters included large numbers of so-called Reichsbürger in their ranks. These so-called Reich citizens are individuals - numbering over 21,000 - who don't recognise the legitimacy of the Federal Republic of modern Germany..."

- Germany coup plot: The extremists who tried to topple the state

Not the image people outside Germany have of the country is it?

Altfish

Veteran Member
Not history, but now.

"
"The fact that we're seeing an alarming amount of ammunition and weapons just disappearing from bases, and landing in the hands of far-right soldiers. I mean, we're seeing the tip of an iceberg here [in this planned coup case] that I suspect really runs much deeper. This is very alarming. It's important to remember you don't need that many highly trained motivated armed soldiers to pose a very serious threat to democracy."

The coup-plotters included large numbers of so-called Reichsbürger in their ranks. These so-called Reich citizens are individuals - numbering over 21,000 - who don't recognise the legitimacy of the Federal Republic of modern Germany..."

Been busy and although I've seen the headlines not read up on it. Need to catch up.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Not the image people inside Germany have of the country.

We've always had a number of old nazis and neo nazis, but we kept them reasonably under control. The "Reichsbürger" are also far right but even crazier than the nazis. They want the Kaiser back. So, "fascist" isn't the correct characterization, the are royalists/monarchists.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Not the image people inside Germany have of the country.

We've always had a number of old nazis and neo nazis, but we kept them reasonably under control. The "Reichsbürger" are also far right but even crazier than the nazis. They want the Kaiser back. So, "fascist" isn't the correct characterization, the are royalists/monarchists.
It's a combination of the two surely - like the article itself you have used the terms neo-Nazi and far-right.

Heyo

Veteran Member
It's a combination of the two surely - like the article itself you have used the terms neo-Nazi and far-right.
Of course. They started as monarchists, who are right wing but the nazis soon hopped on the bandwagon. And some other crazies, like the anti vaxxers. They share in the same conspiracy theory that Germany is not a legitimate country (or should not be). They are armed and dangerous but not on a political level. We have a bigger (political) problem in the AfD, a legitimate party with far right tendencies.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
And what did people outside of the U.S. think about the U.S. prior to Trump? See FP: Far-Right Extremism Is a Global Problem.
Obviously non-Americans that don't keep a watching brief on the country were shocked with the election of such a ... person. To an outsider it seemed out of the blue. As to Germany, I realise the issue is a global one, but I reckon most non-Germans, as with the US, think it a middle of the road liberal democracy. Insurrections not expected.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Not history, but now.

"

You can't have a coup without the military or an outside military that's stronger.

Flankerl

You think the judiciary and police in Germany ignore plots to overthrow the Government?

A lot of the foreign articles try to sounds as if there was an actual coup that was stopped while being executed.

Meanwhile in reality the police raided the homes of those implicated and that was it.

JIMMY12345

Not history, but now.

"

Hitler did what Putin does.He jails and shoots people who exercise democratic rights/opposition.In all countries you will get fringe lunatics.The Germans I know are respectful of all cultures do not want war and wonder why the UK left the EU.Note the German army always regarded the Gestapo as a bunch of thugs and mostly had disdain for them.The Germans in the war had no choice follow Hitler or be shot/jailed.