• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

German federal parliament votes pro same-sex marriage

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
A clear majority of German MPs have voted to legalise same-sex marriage, days after Chancellor Angela Merkel dropped her opposition to a vote.

The reform gives gay men and lesbians full marital rights, and allows them to adopt children.

At present, same-sex couples are limited to civil unions.

Mrs Merkel's political opponents were strongly in favour. But Mrs Merkel, who gave MPs the go-ahead for a free vote only on Monday, voted against.

The measure was backed by 393 lawmakers, while 226 voted against and four abstained.

Germany gay marriage approved by MPs in snap vote - BBC News

What are your opinions on this?

HonestJoe

I think this is a very significant line;
The usually-cautious chancellor said she had had a "life-changing experience" in her home constituency, where she had dinner with a lesbian couple who cared for eight foster children together.
So many of the views and opinions we all hold about this kind of thing are based on what we’ve been told, what we assume and long-engrained stereotypes. Actually witnessing and experience reality first hand is so often a life-changing experience. It’s a pity more people, especially politicians and other decision makers, don’t seek them out more often.

The Holy Bottom Burp

I read stories like this and it is a refreshing change from the depressing stuff about conflict, war, terrorism, racism and bigotry that are never far away from making a headline or two. It gives me hope that slowly (very slowly) the human race is going the right way. Changes like this represent significant social change, a change in attitude that would have been unthinkable five or six decades ago. Who'd have thought? Gay people are...well, just people!

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I can't believe they passed a law which is so blatantly against Muslim values and beliefs. The oppression and denigration of the Muslim minority continues.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
About freakin' time.
Yeah, really, eh?

I suppose congratulations are in order, however overdue the measure is. It's hard to imagine that some are still against extending human rights to gay couples. And that's coming from a right-wing conservative, albeit Canadian conservative.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Cool. Now if only other nations would do the same.

*cough* Australia maybe, ya bloody layabouts! *cough*

Flankerl

I think this is a very significant line; So many of the views and opinions we all hold about this kind of thing are based on what we’ve been told, what we assume and long-engrained stereotypes. Actually witnessing and experience reality first hand is so often a life-changing experience. It’s a pity more people, especially politicians and other decision makers, don’t seek them out more often.

Nah thats BS.

The SPD planned to use the issue in the upcoming election.
Now they can't do that anymore.

And yes that is exactly how Merkel acts.

Absolutely indifferent, as most people in Germany.
Most Homosexuals were also completely fine with the civil unions.

JJ50

A clear majority of German MPs have voted to legalise same-sex marriage, days after Chancellor Angela Merkel dropped her opposition to a vote.

The reform gives gay men and lesbians full marital rights, and allows them to adopt children.

At present, same-sex couples are limited to civil unions.

Mrs Merkel's political opponents were strongly in favour. But Mrs Merkel, who gave MPs the go-ahead for a free vote only on Monday, voted against.

The measure was backed by 393 lawmakers, while 226 voted against and four abstained.

Germany gay marriage approved by MPs in snap vote - BBC News

About time too.