• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Georgia Parents Torture Adopted Daughter, Say They Were Just Following The Bible

InChrist

Free4ever
We might ask what would we would do in a culture that survival was not a given and almost no governmental safety nets. You live in a society that a drought that lasts a year or two might mean the slow agonizing death of you and all those you love.
There are no programs for problem kids. No jails for problem adults. It takes the whole family to work just to live. Now add a child who is not only refuses to work for the common good but actually behaves in a way that hurts your chances of survival.

I am not saying we should kill kids. I am just saying it's just to easy to judge people of other cultures without walking in their shoes.

That is a very good point. I think we are far too quick to judge past cultures according to our modern way of thinking without complete understanding of the situation.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That is a very good point. I think we are far too quick to judge past cultures according to our modern way of thinking without complete understanding of the situation.

I think you're trying to have your cake and eat it, too. If the Bible's commands are relevant today, then they should be judged by the standards of today. If the Bible is the product of a different, "less civilized" time and shouldn't be judged harshly because of this, then it's unreasonable to ask modern people to follow it.

These criticisms of the Bible don't exist in a vacuum; they're responses to Christian claims that the Bible is still "the good book" today and that it's commandments are still binding and relevant. I mean, nobody takes issue with people criticizing Aztec beliefs and practices, but that's because nobody is still trying to push Aztec religion on everyone.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's terrible that abuse ever happens. It's sickening that some people (in this case the "news" site) can be so heavily biased against a very small and statistically insignificant group to paint them as mainstream.

Genswer

It's terrible that abuse ever happens. It's sickening that some people (in this case the "news" site) can be so heavily biased against a very small and statistically insignificant group to paint them as mainstream.

I agree. If they were atheists, they wouldn't talk about how all atheists are horrid people.