• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

George Floyd -- why is a Canadian asking this?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
You watched -- we all watched! It was and is absolutely clear -- this man was MURDERED. Yes, a bunch of cops were fired -- whoop-de-freaking-do! Why are they not in jail right this very instant awaiting charges?

Look at this video -- he's taken out of the car peacefully, already in handcuffs, unresistant. He's talked to, and walked away.

Now watch this one -- where he DIES.

I can't help it, I'm incredibly outraged. A nation where being black is a guilty plea and death sentence all at once?

Why are those officers NOT IN JAIL?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
THAT --- ****ING --- COP --- MURDERED --- THAT --- MAN!

And he was aided and abetted by his fellow officers, and in the legal system in which I grew up, that makes them all guilty.

When are we going to stop hating each other so much that killing just doesn't matter? Why am I, a ****ing atheist, asking these questions?

Last edited:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Listen to the demon cop with his knee on the guy's neck: "Get up and get in the car!" "I will," George says, but "I can't move" The cop never removes his knee.

At the end of this, I am going to have a question that I am seriously going to want answerd -- does that cop "identify as a Christian?" I will bet a very large amount against zero return that he does.

And I'll also bet that most self-identified Christians will expect him to get into heaven, too.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Police work, IMHO, tends to attract RWA and Social Dominant types.
Right-wing authoritarianism - Wikipedia
Social dominance orientation - Wikipedia

Police often seem to value order over law. They like control -- they like to control. They take offense at disrespect and any behavior they consider disorderly, unconventional or improper. They punish those who annoy them, when they think they can get away with it.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Justice depends on those murderers being convicted in a court of law. Murder 1.

Since the guilt is so obvious the death penalty wouldn't be unreasonable.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Hopefully people finally onock of the "thank a cop" crap. Until all these pigs are held accountable, we must all fear the police, not thank them.

osgart

If it's wrong for the police to inflict a death penalty, what gives a judge or jury the right?

They clearly murdered him. That at least deserves life without parole. I felt like those particular police forfeited their rights in a major way. It's totally unacceptable. And the evidence is obvious enough.

To me it's like world war 2. Clear reasons for it. It's an atrocity.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
You watched -- we all watched! It was and is absolutely clear -- this man was MURDERED. Yes, a bunch of cops were fired -- whoop-de-freaking-do! Why are they not in jail right this very instant awaiting charges?

Look at this video -- he's taken out of the car peacefully, already in handcuffs, unresistant. He's talked to, and walked away.

I can't help it, I'm incredibly outraged. A nation where being black is a guilty plea and death sentence all at once?

They definitely should be in jail after that. Outrageous.

It's the cops. Too many people are all too willing to give cops the benefit of the doubt. There needs to be more controls and more restrictions placed on police departments. More citizens' oversight is needed.

Perhaps what they can do is appoint a people's committee to oversee law enforcement operations in each county. They could be selected and appointed by processes similar to jury duty. This committee should hold complete power over the police, with the ability to fire police officers - or even the chief of police, if necessary.

osgart

If it's wrong for the police to inflict a death penalty, what gives a judge or jury the right?
I get no sense of vindication or pleasure out of the death penalty. I don't think that what those cops did gives them the right to life. They took life away so easily like it was nothing.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
In the public debate on this issue, nothing is being said about how cops are trained in America. The fact is they are very poorly trained, relative to many other countries, in how to deescalate conflicts. Instead, the emphasis is on how and to what extent to use force. I think anyone can see how that approach can over time twist someone's judgement of how to handle just about any conflict they encounter.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
An article I just read raised some interesting points.

Minneapolis mayor calls for charges against police after George Floyd death: Here's what we know

"We are not talking about a split-second decision that was made incorrectly," Frey said. "There's somewhere around 300 seconds in those five minutes, every one of which the officer could have turned back ... and removed his knee from George Floyd's neck."

Thousands of protesters demanding justice for Floyd gathered at the intersection where Floyd was restrained and marched to a city police precinct before clashing with officers late Tuesday.

Four officers involved in the Monday incident have been fired, and Floyd's family and their attorney, Ben Crump, have called for their arrests. Police have not identified the officers, but attorney Tom Kelly said he was representing Derek Chauvin, the officer seen with his knee on Floyd's neck.

Protests erupt in Minneapolis after George Floyd's death
Chants of "I can't breathe" filled Minneapolis' streets Tuesday night as a crowd of protesters gathered near the intersection where Floyd died. The group marched 2½ miles to a police precinct.

The Minneapolis Star Tribune reported the protest began peacefully but escalated in tension as the demonstrates reached the building.

Some protesters damaged windows and a police squad car while others sprayed painted graffiti.

The protesters chanted "I can't breathe" and it started to escalate.

The officer kept his knee on him even after he was unresponsive for four minutes. He didn't let up until Floyd was put on the stretcher by EMTs.

The Minneapolis Police Department released a statement Monday that said officers responded to a report of a forgery in progress just after 8 p.m.

Police discovered a suspect and ordered him to get out of his car.

A "forgery in progress"? Really? A "forgery in progress." This is definitely something that will require greater elaboration and clarification. All too often, when the police are called, people have to wait quite a while, because the story is that the police are short-handed and too busy.

"After he got out, he physically resisted officers," MPD said in a statement. "Officers were able to get the suspect into handcuffs and noted he appeared to be suffering medical distress. Officers called for an ambulance. He was transported to Hennepin County Medical Center by ambulance where he died a short time later."

The chief of police outlined their use of force policies, and an expert on use of force cases remarked that the officers didn't follow their training.

The department allows for the use of two types of neck restraints only for officers who have received the proper training, according to the Minneapolis Police Department's Policy & Procedure Manual. The handbook defines neck restraints as a "non-deadly force option."

Andrew Scott, an expert witness on use-of-force cases and former Boca Raton, Florida, police chief, told the Associated Press that Floyd’s death was "a combination of not being trained properly or disregarding their training."

'Wrong on every level': Reactions to Floyd's death
Frey called Floyd's death and the officer's actions "wrong on every level."

"Whatever the investigation reveals, it does not change the simple truth, he should still be with us this morning," the mayor said. "I believe what I saw and what I saw is wrong on every level."

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz also took to social media to demand answers. Sen. Amy Klobuchar called the video "horrifying" and "gut-wrenching" and called for an investigation.

Well, with the mayor, the governor, and Sen. Klobuchar calling for an investigation, then it looks like there will be an investigation. It appears the FBI is on it already.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I live here in Minneapolis where this happened. I just finished watching our Mayor calling for charges to be filed. It's unprecedented. He is such an impassioned, fair, and truly human as a leader at this horrific time. It's well worth watching his plea for charges to happen tonight:

Nimos

They ought to be charged with murder, the guy, at least in the video seems pretty pacified and they are at least two cops there.

But on a greater scale, I think the US way of doing things also bite them in the ***. There ought to be almost no difference from European countries to that of the US, yet there are far more shootings and killings in general there compared to here. They should ban fire arms, which would be a good start and then they should educate their police much better than they apparently do.

Americans armed with less-lethal weapons like knives – and even those known to be unarmed – are also more likely to be killed by police.

Less-lethal weapon holders make up only about 20% of deadly force victims in the US. Yet the rates of these deaths alone exceed total known deadly force rates in any European county.

Knife violence is a big problem in England, yet British police have fatally shot only one person wielding a knife since 2008 – a hostage-taker. By comparison, my calculations based on data compiled by fatalencounters.org and the Washington Post show that US police have fatally shot more than 575 people allegedly wielding blades and other such weapons just in the years since 2013.

Clearly the way the police operate is not the same. I love the americans, but some of the things they support or believe that is good, is borderline stupid in my opinion :D

Last edited: