• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

George Floyd killing

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
What is the Jewish perspective on this incident ? Jay and Rabbio, you are the opinion leaders in this sub-forum, please begin the debate !

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Well stated Harel. However, does accidental murder fit here ?
If that cop was Jewish and we'd all be living under full halachic jurisdiction, then to convict him of murder, the court would have to find two legit witnesses who can swear that they saw him about to commit murder and warned him a few times (2 or 3, can't remember the number) not to do it. If that's not the case, then it'll probably (per my rudimentary knowledge of halacha) become shgagah. At which point the cop would have to escape the 3rd precinct to an Ir Miklat (City of Refuge) while probably being chased by Floyd's family and other rioters.
As I don't think most of the people involved are Jewish and anyway, beit dins don't judge homicides nowadays, they'd differ to dina demalchuta dina (the law of the kingdom is law) and we'll all have to wait for the local court's verdict, in which case, they'll be the ones to decide whether or not it was an accident.

Last edited:

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
Sorry, Harel, this post is too long to read. Anyway, it should be obvious it was not accidental death.

If that cop was Jewish and we'd all be living under full halachic jurisdiction, then to convict him of murder, the court would have to find two legit witnesses who can swear that they saw him about to commit murder and warned him a few times (2 or 3, can't remember the number) not to do it. If that's not the case, then it'll probably (per my rudimentary knowledge of halacha) become shgagah. At which point the cop would have to escape the 3rd precinct to an Ir Miklat (City of Refuge) while probably being chased by Floyd's family and other rioters.
As I don't think most of the people involved are Jewish and anyway, beit dins don't judge homicides nowadays, they'd differ to dina demalchuta dina (the law of the kingdom is law) and we'll all have to wait for the local court's verdict, in which case, they'll be the ones to decide whether or not it was an accident.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Sorry, Harel, this post is too long to read. Anyway, it should be obvious it was not accidental death.
What! You had five days to go through it!

Also, I saw here on RF something about the autopsy reports saying the man had tested positive for Covid and may have actually died from a heart attack and not asphyxiation.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Anyway, it should be obvious it was not accidental death.
Also, Shgagah isn't translated as accidental but as negligent or careless. If it was a complete accident, he wouldn't be punished at all.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member

Also, I saw here on RF something about the autopsy reports saying the man had tested positive for Covid and may have actually died from a heart attack and not asphyxiation.
No, I was wrong. Here it is:

The full autopsy report for George Floyd has been completed by the Hennepin County Medical Examiner and it reveals he tested positive for COVID-19 in early April ... though he was likely asymptomatic at the time of his death.

The 20-page analysis details most of what we already know, Floyd became unresponsive and died while pinned to the ground by 3 police officers. However, a section of the report says George tested positive for COVID-19 on April 3.

The coroner says, "positivity for 2019-nCoV can persist for weeks after the onset and resolution of clinical disease, the autopsy result most likely reflects asymptomatic but persistent PCR positivity from previous infection." Meaning George was likely walking around without issues or active symptoms, but the virus was still in his body.

As we reported, George's family hired Dr. Michael Baden to complete a private autopsy. Baden's report found Floyd's cause of death to be "death from asphyxia" after the Hennepin County concluded he had a heart attack while being restrained by cops, with underlying medical conditions including hypertension and possible drugs or alcohol.

The final report from Hennepin on Wednesday says Floyd had, “no injuries of anterior muscles of neck or laryngeal structures.”​

George Floyd's Full Autopsy Released, Tested Positive for COVID-19 in April

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...

A heart attack presumably brought on in response to his handling by police. His COVID19 status doesn't magically make the brutality disappear.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
A heart attack presumably brought on in response to his handling by police. His COVID19 status doesn't magically make the brutality disappear.
a. I corrected myself in the next post, but b. more importantly, this is the Judaism DIR. And c. the discussion in any case is an entirely theoretical halachic (Jewish law) discussion.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
a. I corrected myself in the next post, but b. more importantly, this is the Judaism DIR. And c. the discussion in any case is an entirely theoretical halachic (Jewish law) discussion.
Not sure how you think Judaism affects the facts of the case, however I was mistaken posting here. I apologise and shall withdraw.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Not sure how you think Judaism affects the facts of the case
It doesn't at all, which is why I noted that it's entirely theoretical.
See:
What is the Jewish perspective on this incident ? Jay and Rabbio, you are the opinion leaders in this sub-forum, please begin the debate !
Also, Shgagah isn't translated as accidental but as negligent or careless. If it was a complete accident, he wouldn't be punished at all.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I should note that Ben Shapiro pointed out that the case, while having been re-defined as 2nd-degree murder, seems more like 3rd-degree murder, which is no intent but malicious carelessness. Shgagah, however, isn't considered malicious, to my knowledge.