• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Geomancy anyone?

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
If your talking about geometric magic then yes I am a practicioner and student of the Law of the Trapezoid or trapezoidal magic which Dr. Anton LaVey summed up thusly:

"All obtuse Angles are magically harmful to those unaware of this property. The same angles are beneficial, stimulating, and energizing to those who are magically sensitive to them."

What specifically interests me is how angular environments can effect the psyche, I am speaking of both the pi and phi ratios. By environment I mean the Area of Influence which may come in the form of physical planes, frequency ratios or resonant forms, and visual phenomenon - archeticture, music, and art.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\

Last edited:

Sylvan

Unrepentant goofer duster
That is very cool, and similar to approach I take when working with cities or particular environments. Ever heard of psychogeography? Apparently Michael Bertiaux, as kooky as he is, has some very curious ideas about how to implement ideas like this into practical black magic operations. And damn I know exactly what you're taking about when you mention obtuse frequencies.

However, for clarification, I was talking about the medieval (or even earlier (pre?) Arabic) form of divination, which is called geomancy because the figures are obtained by striking random numbers of dots in a certain number of lines upon the sand and then applying a algorithmic formula to the figures obtained. Each of the sixteen figures has a meaning, similar to the Tarot trumps, and depending on your level of experience is interpreted similarly to a horoscope (but one with no bearing on the actual position of the planets). Its interesting stuff, and one can use the dots to create various talismanic images or glyphs for use in practical operations to deal with the situations arising in the reading. Kind of like Ifa divination but connected to ancient African hermeticism, alchemy, and the roots of the western mystery tradition. Here's another link, and an A.A. instructional document, but pay attention to the first paragraph.

220px-Geomantic_figures.svg.png

Check that first wiki link for an amazing picture of an intricate geomantic mechanical device, made around 1200CE, which illustrates the general prestige ascribed to the system at the time. There is also apparently a system of Chinese geomancy, which is a totally different thing and ultimately birthed feng shui. Chinese geomancers were primarily hired to tell you where and in what direction to bury your ancestors.

No one responded to that thread though, and I am happy to talk about your ideas about geometric foci instead. How do you implement these ideas, such as the use of the phi-ratio, in operations other than in the shape of figures in your ritual chamber?

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I'm not a geomancer, and I know nothing about it.

Since I don't like knowing nothing about something, so is there anything you would be willing to teach me? :)

Sylvan

The links I put up were pretty deep. Anything in particular you'd like to know?

Sylvan

John Michael Greer has the definitive book/material on the subject, and I'm hoping he'll do his correspondence course again someday. There is also a lot of information about it in Agrippa. The best way to learn is to make a little book with each of the signs having about two pages to note down correspondences and interpretations as time goes on. Then start doing readings and see what happens. The flexible nature of the system makes readings an opportunity for both exploratory and proactive approaches to a problem. This is because the signs can be used as talismans to focus on a particular situation or crossed condition.

I'd stay away from calling on the Planetary Spirits and Intelligences however until you have a strong personal paradigm for theurgy.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
The best way to learn is to make a little book with each of the signs having about two pages to note down correspondences and interpretations as time goes on.
Are there no sources on this already? Thanks for the book recommendation. I'll keep an eye out on it.

I'd stay away from calling on the Planetary Spirits and Intelligences however until you have a strong personal paradigm for theurgy.
Who are these? :)

Sylvan

If I understand this right, this shows information about, and explains about asking the various planetary intelligences (this doesn't necessarily mean you're asking the planet itself) for various boons and benedictions?

Basically. I personally view spirits, the facets or "faces" which we interact with at least, to be epiphenomena of the the so-called noosphere. They didn't "create" the universe, although some of them have pretended to at times*, but rather inhabit and share this space with us.. and in some other sense they (or more likely their ancestors) were "present" or "part of" those phenomena, be it the movement of planets actions, weather patterns, etc. This is only a supposition, and I claim no authority in this matter what so ever.

Put simply and in a comparative context Planetary Intelligences and Spirits are leftovers from early Hermeticism, where the movements of the visible planets was considered of vital importance. The characteristics of the seven planets made up part of a complex cosmology, completed by the elements and their iterations in the zodiacal signs as part of alchemical literature. This post is an excellent explanation of this. Simply put the Intelligences are "above" the Spirits in this model hierarchy, or rather the Spirits are representative of the wild, undirected power of the Planetary forces in question and the Intelligences are used to "reign them in". Thus the necessity of a strong personal paradigm for theurgy to call upon them. I mention this because a lot of manuals for geomantic practice will tell you to just put their sigils in the center of a pentagram depending on the day you are reading and so forth. Unless you knew what you were doing already I would personally find this to be unwise.

*At first as a useful fiction and later a vile parasitism.

Last edited: