• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Genetics are linked to same-sex behaviour, but there is no "gay gene"

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Large-scale GWAS reveals insights into the genetic architecture of same-sex sexual behavior | Science

A massive new study, published today in Science Magazine, shows that same-sex sexual behaviour is influenced by not one or a few genes, but by many. Overlap with genetic influences on other traits provides insights into the underlying biology of same-sex sexual behaviour, and analysis of different aspects underscore its complexity, and call into question the validity of bipolar continuum measures such as the Kinsey scale.

Terry Sampson

Intriguing article. My nephew, a 1st cousin, and a 4th cousin--all on my mother's side--are gay (1 male & 2 females). My cousin and I strongly suspect there were two other fairly-close, biological kin who may have been gay, also on my mother's side.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Large-scale GWAS reveals insights into the genetic architecture of same-sex sexual behavior | Science

A massive new study, published today in Science Magazine, shows that same-sex sexual behaviour is influenced by not one or a few genes, but by many. Overlap with genetic influences on other traits provides insights into the underlying biology of same-sex sexual behaviour, and analysis of different aspects underscore its complexity, and call into question the validity of bipolar continuum measures such as the Kinsey scale.

Before everyone piles on with their promotion or dismissal of this study, I think everyone regardless of their view needs to step back a minute. What is at stake in this debate is not what many people think is at stake. Even if we had no evidence that sexual orientation were genetic, that would not indicate that 1) sexual orientation is choice, 2) sexual orientation can be changed, or 3) same sex sexual behavior is immoral. Sexual orientation could be entirely environmental and it wouldn't establish any of the above.

Please bear this in mind before posting.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Before everyone piles on with their promotion or dismissal of this study, I think everyone regardless of their view needs to step back a minute. What is at stake in this debate is not what many people think is at stake. Even if we had no evidence that sexual orientation were genetic, that would not indicate that 1) sexual orientation is choice, 2) sexual orientation can be changed, or 3) same sex sexual behavior is immoral. Sexual orientation could be entirely environmental and it wouldn't establish any of the above.

Please bear this in mind before posting.

How, though, can some find out they are gay in the middle east, one in the states, and one, I don't know where without being influenced by the environment via their religious culture, upbringing, or isolation to any media that would prompt such a thing?

Sexual identity most likely is in part environmental, but sexual orientation?

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
How, though, can some find out they are gay in the middle east, one in the states, and one, I don't know where without being influenced by the environment via their religious culture, upbringing, or isolation to any media that would prompt such a thing?

Sexual identity most likely is in part environmental, but sexual orientation?

Bear in mind that "environment" doesn't just mean your culture or your parents' parenting style. One line of research regarding environmental causes of homosexuality in males is the amount of testosterone we were exposed to in utero. It is hypothesized that gay men received a less concentrated "testosterone bath" than their straight counterparts.

Ellen Brown

So FAR, no gay gene.

leov

Pederasty in ancient Greece - Wikipedia or "women for children, boys for pleasure" of Islam.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Bear in mind that "environment" doesn't just mean your culture or your parents' parenting style. One line of research regarding environmental causes of homosexuality in males is the amount of testosterone we were exposed to in utero. It is hypothesized that gay men received a less concentrated "testosterone bath" than their straight counterparts.

The point here is that there is difference between 'genetic' and 'developmental'. In development, the uterine environment can affect quite a few aspects of how the brain later functions.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

It's hard to read most of the study. My question though is, are they wondering why our bodies react to one sex over another?

How does the object of attraction affect genetics?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
This is a very valuable but limited study. More research is clearly indicated.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
If sexual orientation is genetic then it is an evolutionary trait developed to limit/take that person's genes out of the gene pool. This is more evidence that Behavioral sink - Wikipedia is sound. Mind you being gay is not a problem in itself. Think of LGBT people as Sentinel species - Wikipedia. They are our sign of something dreadful coming (extinction).

InChrist

Free4ever

Genetics may well be connected to same-sex attraction. Various studies have indicated people may be biologically predisposed to any number of things. My perspective is that since we live in a fallen world impacted by sin so not all of these genetic influences are beneficial or healthy. Yet, the scriptures reveal that one can be born again to new life, identity, and freedom in Christ.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
So FAR, no gay gene.
Yes, no single overpowering gay gene. But several possible genes and combinations of genes that increase the odds that one is gay.

So the good news is that there is no a gene that people could test for and possibly abort their fetuses as a result. The bad news for literalitsts is that there does not appear to be a choice in sexuality.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
It's hard to read most of the study. My question though is, are they wondering why our bodies react to one sex over another?

How does the object of attraction affect genetics?

As far as I know, they are trying to see if you can predict same-sex behavior based on certain genetics. Exactly how attraction works neurologically or psychologically is a whole other ball of wax.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
If sexual orientation is genetic then it is an evolutionary trait developed to limit/take that person's genes out of the gene pool. This is more evidence that Behavioral sink - Wikipedia is sound. Mind you being gay is not a problem in itself. Think of LGBT people as Sentinel species - Wikipedia. They are our sign of something dreadful coming (extinction).

But gay/bi people have been around for millenia...?

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
But gay/bi people have been around for millenia...?

Yes and longer than that, always I dare say. I suspect one of the triggers lies in a certain combination of traits that effect the immune system. Not that the immune system is weak mind you. Just the immune system effects the pheromones that are excreted which creates our BO (in part). It is this smell that attracts or repels people of the opposite sex. Someone who enjoys the smell of your BO (as is common with lovers), means that the immune systems complement each other (ones immune system is strong where the other ones is weak and vice versa). Of course this is just theory, I'm not stating any of this as fact. I very well could be wrong.