• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Genetic Code is INFORMATION: Proof of Intelligent Design

ArtieE

How much more so when we see a set of instructions in our genetic code, should we also understand that an intelligence, and a very high intelligence at that, is behind our genetic code.
You are shooting yourself in the foot. Why would this very high intelligence exist in the first place? By chance or design or did it evolve?

Last edited:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
They can create scientific instruments that can "sense the astral"?
Maybe someday, but the astral is not within our three-dimensional space that our senses and instruments are designed for. However, I have heard of some theorists and people working with entities on the 'other side; are trying to make the leap. I don't know the details of this but for me, and most of us, my brain only works well thinking about three-dimensions and linear time. However, I now appreciate from the evidence and more advanced sources that the universe is more complicated than I can ever get my head around.

ftacky

Why would this very high intelligence exist in the first place? By chance or design or did it evolve?

Why does everything and everyone that exists HAVE TO:
1) Have a reason to exist?
2) Have to evolve?

There is no cosmic rule which says God has to have a reason to exist, is there? I'm not aware of any such rule or principle.

Besides, I am simply arguing that there is sufficient evidence for any open-minded person to consider God's existence and to not rule it out.

On the other hand, there is no rule or principle which says we all need to be open-minded either. Most of us aren't, lol.

Verse for the day:
Isaiah 1:18: Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow...

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Why does everything and everyone that exists HAVE TO:
1) Have a reason to exist?
2) Have to evolve?

There is no cosmic rule which says God has to have a reason to exist, is there? I'm not aware of any such rule or principle.

Besides, I am simply arguing that there is sufficient evidence for any open-minded person to consider God's existence and to not rule it out.

On the other hand, there is no rule or principle which says we all need to be open-minded either. Most of us aren't, lol.

Verse for the day:
Isaiah 1:18: Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow...
Nice sermon.
Unfortuanately, it did not distract from the fact that you completely avoided answering the question.

Was this intentional or did you get so caught up in preaching your forgot what the question was?

I can sum the question up so you are not so easily confused:
Did your god come about by chance or design or did it evolve or are you going with the ever popular has always existed?

ArtieE

No there is no reason why God should exist in the first place... if you could provide a logical and rational explanation for that I might become a theist.

ftacky

God exists but why or how, I don't know. But the question about why or how God exists is only a diversion.

I don't need to know why God exists in order to know God does indeed exist.

How do I know God exists? Because all information requires a thought process. This is the same scientific principle used by SETI in searching for alien intelligence. They know that if they detect ANY information coming form outer space, they have succeeded in detecting intelligent life because all information requires a thought process.

And there is a huge amount of information - specifically, instructions in our cells. About 100,000,000 pages worth in every cell of our body.

Has anyone seen or heard of any set of instructions generating itself or somehow coming together by itself? Not!

Verses for the day:
Exodus 3:
13 Moses said to God, “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what shall I tell them?”

14 God said to Moses, “I am who I am." This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I am has sent me to you.’”

15 God also said to Moses, “Say to the Israelites, ‘The Lord, the God of your fathers—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob—has sent me to you.’

“This is my name forever,
the name you shall call me
from generation to generation.

ArtieE

God exists but why or how, I don't know. But the question about why or how God exists is only a diversion.
No it's not. If you can't give me a good reason why he should exist I have no reason to believe he does. Imagine that you had no evidence at all for the existence of a god is there anything you can say that could convince me that instead of nothing a god would have to exist?

Skwim

Veteran Member
I don't need to know why God exists in order to know God does indeed exist.
Then the question would be, how do you know he exists? ;)

How do I know God exists? Because all information requires a thought process.
I'm afraid you either have a mistaken notion of what information is, or you're using the wrong term. Thunder, whether heard by anyone or anything, is information that lightening has occurred. It requires absolutely no thought process to exist. A flourishing plant is information that the plant has had adequate water whether anyone or anything is ever aware of it. No thought process needed at all.

Has anyone seen or heard of any set of instructions generating itself or somehow coming together by itself? Not!
In fact, yes. Chemical substances often instruct other chemical substances how to interact with them. Mg(NO 3 ) 2 ( s ) → Mg(NO 2 ) 2 ( s ) + O 2 ( g ) and H 2 CO 3 ( aq ) → H 2 O ( l ) + CO 2 ( g ).

Verses for the day:
Genesis 19:8
“See now, I have two daughters who have not known a man; please, let me bring them out to you, and you may do to them as you wish; only do nothing to these men, since this is the reason they have come under the shadow of my roof.”

Exodus 21:20-21
“And if a man beats his male or female servant with a rod, so that he dies under his hand, he shall surely be punished. Notwithstanding, if he remains alive a day or two, he shall not be punished; for he is his property.

ftacky

In the above post, Skwim said: In fact, yes. Chemical substances often instruct other chemical substances how to interact with them. Mg(NO 3 ) 2 ( s ) → Mg(NO 2 ) 2 ( s ) + O 2 ( g ) and H 2 CO 3 ( aq ) → H 2 O ( l ) + CO 2 ( g ).

Answer: No, your example is merely a chemical reaction, where the properties of the substances are reacting due to their individual properties. This doesn't require any instructions at all. This is like the formation of snowflakes - water molecules combining into a crystalline form simply due to the property of H2O as a polar molecule, thus only allowing crystalline combinations as it freezes.

On the other hand, our genetic code is not merely a chemical reaction but a digital code which instructs the same molecules to either combine or separate based on the code itself.

BTW, the Bible says there are no atheists. Why? Because God's existence is plain for all to see:

Romans 1: "The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them."

"For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools..."

"Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done. They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy. Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also of those who practice them."

Comment:
1) We all KNOW God exists.

2) Some of us do not think it worthwhile to retain that knowledge of God so we 'throw it out', to our own demise. This is how the 'atheist' mindset is made - by throwing out information given to us by our Creator.
This is completely the opposite from what atheists claim - that they became atheists because they received information - information about the theory of evolution, the theory of abiogenesis, the theory of cosmology, the theory of etc, etc., etc.

3) We all KNOW we deserve the sentence of death/hell - due to our multiple violations of the Moral Code (lying, cheating, stealing, hatred, anger, jealousy, greed, etc.).

Bottom line: Theories don't change realities. If we don't want to humble ourselves and come to God for forgiveness for our multiple violations of His Moral Code, then it's not God who sends us to hell. No, its ourselves who choose to go there.

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Comment:

2) Some of us do not think it worthwhile to retain that knowledge of God so we 'throw it out', to our own demise. This is how the 'atheist' mindset is made - by throwing out information given to us by our Creator.
This is completely the opposite from what atheists claim - that they became atheists because they received information - information about the theory of evolution, the theory of abiogenesis, the theory of cosmology, the theory of etc, etc., etc.

3) We all KNOW we deserve the sentence of death/hell - due to our multiple violations of the Moral Code (lying, cheating, stealing, hatred, anger, jealousy, greed, etc.).

Bottom line: Theories don't change realities. If we don't want to humble ourselves and come to God for forgiveness for our multiple violations of His Moral Code, then it's not God who sends us to hell. No, its ourselves who choose to go there.
Delusion much?

Milton Platt

In the above post, Skwim said: In fact, yes. Chemical substances often instruct other chemical substances how to interact with them. Mg(NO 3 ) 2 ( s ) → Mg(NO 2 ) 2 ( s ) + O 2 ( g ) and H 2 CO 3 ( aq ) → H 2 O ( l ) + CO 2 ( g ).

Answer: No, your example is merely a chemical reaction, where the properties of the substances are reacting due to their individual properties. This doesn't require any instructions at all. This is like the formation of snowflakes - water molecules combining into a crystalline form simply due to the property of H2O as a polar molecule, thus only allowing crystalline combinations as it freezes.

On the other hand, our genetic code is not merely a chemical reaction but a digital code which instructs the same molecules to either combine or separate based on the code itself.

Actually, there is nothing digital about DNA, Boolean algebra is not at play. It is controlled by chemical processes, sorry.

BTW, the Bible says there are no atheists. Why? Because God's existence is plain for all to see:

Your bible is untruthful in this regard. I am an atheist.......Who are you or your Bible to presume to tell me what I think or know?

Romans 1: "The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them."

"For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools..."

"Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done. They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy. Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also of those who practice them."

Bible verses have no value to anyone who has not already surrendered their intellectual honesty to believe in the unknown and unproven, so spare the rest of us. Demonstrate that your god actually exists, and then we will take a look at what your book may or may not say. Without the god, the book has little value.

Comment:

Please provide evidence for this assertion (as opposed to a Bible quote)

What information??? Give me the top three items, maybe? What information did god give us that cannot be ascertained by any other means?

Demonstrably false. You do not have to believe any of these things to be atheist. You simply have to reject the assertion that a god exists because there is insufficient evidence for that assertion.
Sure, I believe evolution and abiogenesis are plausible given the evidence to support them. But that is not the basis of my atheism. Rejecting a claim due to lack of sufficient evidence to support the claim is reasonable.

Unsupportable assertion. Provide the evidence to support your claims, or stop making them.

Theories DESCRIBE realities as we currently know them to be. If reality ever seems to include the supernatural, the theory will then include it.

A Vestigial Mote

INFORMATION is different from other things in that although it is stored by a physical entity, such as a brain, a USB drive, a piece of paper, or a DNA molecule, INFORMATION itself it is not a physical entity. Because our genetic code is a highly complex form of INFORMATION stored in the cell, and since all information requires an intelligent source, this provides solid evidence for an intelligent designer.

"Life" - which is a condition of matter in a stable configuration that allows for continued refresh of itself via material and energetic input - would, most certainly, require some form of "information" in order to store its configuration and build upon it. One could also view the orbit of any celestial body as a vessel for conveyance of information. The relationship of one body to another via gravity is ultimately knowable using what end up being fairly simple mathematics. There is a "pattern" there, and always has been, that does, indeed, convey this information.

What I am trying to say is that, no matter what the physical laws of our universe end up being, in order for there to be any order at all, those laws have to be in place, immutable, and convey what they are via "information" that can be studied and assimilated into a knowledge-base. I don't think you're surprising anyone here.

KBC1963

I can sum the question up so you are not so easily confused:
Did your god come about by chance or design or did it evolve or are you going with the ever popular has always existed?

Did any form of existence come about by chance or design or did it evolve or are you going with the ever popular has always existed?

It's interesting to see this jab keep reoccurring. No matter what world view you have, the question still comes back to the fact that you either have to admit the possibility of an uncaused cause or assert an infinite regression and if you choose infinite regression as a possible answer then what caused the infinite regression to begin?

The observable evidence shows that every cause is always greater than the effect it generates so essentially whatever first set the ball rolling would be a god to any subsequent effects.... the only question is whether you believe the original cause had intent or whether you BELIEVE it did not. A belief is still a belief in the absence of scientific evidence... religion vs. religion