• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Genesis, Time, Nihilism, and Logos

Treasure Hunter

Low on Biology. The seed does not die. It becomes a shoot and then a tree. But when did theists cared about Biology? :)

Parable of the Sower and Soils: Everyone knows that. But it does not mean that what the speaker is saying is true.
Parable of the Seed: Again, it does not mean that what the speaker is saying is true.
Parable of the Mustard Seed: Yet again. Stories but nothing to prove.
What value do these parables have if you do not give evidence for what you are saying?
You really are stuck on the surface level, aren’t you?

firedragon

Veteran Member
Yes, I thought you already know the parables in synoptics.

Parable of the Sower and Soils

“Listen to this! Behold, the sower went out to sow; as he was sowing, some seed fell beside the road, and the birds came and ate it up. “Other seed fell on the rocky ground where it did not have much soil; and immediately it sprang up because it had no depth of soil. “And after the sun had risen, it was scorched; and because it had no root, it withered away. “Other seed fell among the thorns, and the thorns came up and choked it, and it yielded no crop. “Other seeds fell into the good soil, and as they grew up and increased, they yielded a crop and produced thirty, sixty, and a hundredfold.” And He was saying, “He who has ears to hear, let him hear.”

Parable of the Seed

And He was saying, “The kingdom of God is like a man who casts seed upon the soil; and he goes to bed at night and gets up by day, and the seed sprouts and grows—how, he himself does not know. “The soil produces crops by itself; first the blade, then the head, then the mature grain in the head. “But when the crop permits, he immediately puts in the sickle, because the harvest has come.”

Parable of the Mustard Seed

And He said, “How shall we picture the kingdom of God, or by what parable shall we present it? “It is like a mustard seed, which, when sown upon the soil, though it is smaller than all the seeds that are upon the soil, yet when it is sown, it grows up and becomes larger than all the garden plants and forms large branches; so that the birds of the air can nest under its shade."

Irrelevant brother.

PearlSeeker

Because the enemy has access to our thoughts and reasoning, and he wants us bound to this world rather than seeking the Kingdom of Heaven which is not of this world.

The enemy also takes advantage of blind faith and unbridled drives. That's why I think reason is useful to some extent.

This world can be a distraction or it can be a relevation. Everything in nature is bearing the signature of Logos and can point beyond itself. Kingdom of God is coming to this world - "Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth."

The reality of the Kingdom is concealed. We have to choose it, struggling through the resistance that wants to keep us in bounds. The idea that we can access the real Logos through reason is one of the deceptions that the enemy uses to keep us in line. Those who have “ears to hear” are able to blind themselves from the Word in their head and access their intuition.
Yes. Rationality is not enough. Contemplative mind is required.

Treasure Hunter

The enemy also takes advantage of blind faith and unbridled drives. That's why I think reason is useful to some extent.
I agree with your first sentence, but reason is not the antidote to that issue. Everyone rationalizes their own perspective on the truth, no matter how misguided. The idea that those people who have veered off track simply are lacking reasoning skills - that is convenient to the rationalist part of ourselves that is defending its place in the hierarchy.

When it comes to truth, reason is useful in a secondary role but unreliable in the leading role. We can’t reason ourselves to demote reason though. Hence, the use of parables and metaphors to bypass rationality.

Regarding our attitude toward the known world, the highest truths are paradoxical. We should both try to elevate the world to reflect the Kingdom while still holding firmly to the truth that the world ultimately must be rejected in order to enter the Kingdom.

Treasure Hunter

I have gone to places where you would probably never go, but you are side-stepping the question of evidence. :)
A person who requires a high level of certainty before stepping into the chaotic unknown will never take that step, even when their house is on fire.

That person has been tied up by a bandit in their own home, but instead they will believe a lie that says they are choosing to stay in the house. And that there is no fire. They will be fully convinced of it the majority of the time.. until the despair hits and what has been true the entire time makes itself known undeniably.

How long can the lie be maintained? How long will they allow themselves to be tied down in their own home while the inferno blazes?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
How long can the lie be maintained? How long will they allow themselves to be tied down in their own home while the inferno blazes?
Yeah, the theists have been fooling people for upward of 2,500 years. How long will it continue? It is good that many people are waking up to the reality.

Last edited:

PearlSeeker

I agree with your first sentence, but reason is not the antidote to that issue. Everyone rationalizes their own perspective on the truth, no matter how misguided. The idea that those people who have veered off track simply are lacking reasoning skills - that is convenient to the rationalist part of ourselves that is defending its place in the hierarchy.

When it comes to truth, reason is useful in a secondary role but unreliable in the leading role. We can’t reason ourselves to demote reason though. Hence, the use of parables and metaphors to bypass rationality.

Regarding our attitude toward the known world, the highest truths are paradoxical. We should both try to elevate the world to reflect the Kingdom while still holding firmly to the truth that the world ultimately must be rejected in order to enter the Kingdom.
I have just read something relevant:

"Man is presently caught in a plane of consciousness which is nourished by the workings of his rational mind. That is, the plane of polarities . . . of good and evil . . . and left and right . . . of old and young . . . of us and them . . . and of man and woman. To be “not caught” means to be unattached. To be unattached does not mean to be uninvolved, it means to be involved “without attachment.”
A conscious being is capable of making as many discriminations among components of the Universe as anyone else (perhaps even more). However, he is not caught in them. Just because you are seeing divine light, experiencing waves of bliss, or conversing with Gods and Goddesses is no reason to not know your zip code. Keeping it together means keeping conscious at all levels—all planes —with no attachment to any of them." (Ram Dass)

PearlSeeker

That’s not relevant to what I asked you brother
The quote says that physical/manifested world is founded on hidden/non-physical reality. This fundamental reality is Logos in John's Prologue and it's also revealed in parables in synoptics.

firedragon

Veteran Member
The quote says that physical/manifested world is founded on hidden/non-physical reality. This fundamental reality is Logos in John's Prologue and it's also revealed in parables in synoptics.

Nope. Invalid.

When the word Logos is not used like in John in the Synoptics, you come up with the "Parables" strategy. But there is no parable that makes anything like the concept of Logos. No where.

PearlSeeker

Nope. Invalid.

When the word Logos is not used like in John in the Synoptics, you come up with the "Parables" strategy. But there is no parable that makes anything like the concept of Logos. No where.
"Now this is the meaning of the parable: The seed is the word of God." (Luke 8:11)

Treasure Hunter

However, the spirit of truth has a defense against this: Each time we choose the social conscience over truth, the spirit of truth will produce a small amount of self hatred which is initially experienced as despair.

I’ve talked about this idea more broadly when I explained self sabotage. Self sabotage can be thought of as life fanning the flames of the fire within. Saying 10 in the Gospel of Thomas has Christ saying, “I have cast fire upon the world, and see, I am watching over it until it blazes."

I’ve also talked about how there are evolutionary filters, which are requirements for selection. Filters linked to the environment are the ones associated with Darwinism that we are most familiar with. We are less familiar with filters linked to reality. One example of the latter that I’ve previously mentioned is that groups which did not have a version of God uniting them were either outcompeted by or integrated into groups that did.

Presently, humanity has basically evolved beyond the environment based filters of Darwinism and is firmly within the filters of reality, or in theological language, the filters of God. With each filter that we pass through, time speeds up from a subjective and developmental perspective. The flames of the fire blaze more and more. We can see evidence of this in the significant rise of mood disorders, substance abuse, and “deaths of despair”.

My intuition is that this collective self sabotage is distributed among the population as a bell curve and we are just beginning to hit the slope of the curve. Our solutions and coping mechanisms that have worked in the past will soon enough no longer be viable, just like how they are insufficient for those of us on the front end of the bell curve.

The flood story with Noah in Genesis is about this phenomenon of self sabotage. It’s a warning about what happens if we continually blind ourselves to the spirit of truth, or the Holy Spirit, and the blazing fire. When the fire is blazing, we are susceptible to various ways of triggering the flood. At the individual level, it is the person who relapses after years of drug recovery, or it can be something beyond our own control like the death of a loved one.

However, even when the flood comes, we are capable of overcoming it as individuals. Consciousness is the solution. The entire point of self sabotage is to corner humanity into consciousness, which is where we can reestablish our connection to truth and follow it toward reality.

At the collective level, time has sped up rapidly. That seems pretty apparent to most people. The fire is beginning to blaze and we don’t want to trigger the flood. Not at the collective level.