• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Genesis 10...why it isn’t history.

gnostic

The Lost One
i have not created a thread in weeks, so here goes.

In Genesis 10, the narratives claimed that many of the cities and kingdoms didn’t exist until after the flood, narrated in the earlier chapters Genesis 6, 7 & 8. Genesis 10 supposedly claimed that many nations and cities were created by children and grandchildren of the 3 sons of Noah.

The most prominent examples are that of Ham’ children particularly Mizraim which is the Hebrew name for Egypt, and Nimrod, who supposedly started up the cities in Babylonia (Shinar) and in Assyria:
  • Erech (Uruk),
  • Accad (Akkad),
  • Babylon,
  • Nineveh,
  • Calah,
  • Rehoboth-ir,
  • and Resen.

Now I don’t know anything about the last two - Rehoboth-ir and Resen, because there are historical records or archaeological evidences that these two existed, other than in the Bible and extra-biblical literature, so I am going to assume they don’t exist.

But the others mentioned, as well as Egypt, well...they disprove Genesis 10 as being “history”. It would also mean, that Genesis was written in the Bronze Age (3rd and 2nd millennia BCE), but in the Iron Age, most likely after the 8th century BCE.

If my calculations are correct, Noah’s Flood would be set around 2400-2300 BCE...depending on you would interpret Exodus 12:40.

The problems with that date, is that Egypt, Erech (or more precisely Uruk or Unung) and Nineveh predated 2400 BCE.

Even the pyramids of Giza (4th dynasty), and earlier pyramids in Saqqara (eg the Step Pyramid of Djoser, 3rd dynasty) all predated 2400 BCE. Older royal burial site, like the 2nd dynasty, are mostly have kings entombed at Abydos.

But Egyptian culture evolved much further back, even before the first dynasty in 3100 BCE, the prehistoric period, when Egypt was divided as two kingdoms. Some of the artifacts discovered were still “Egyptian” in the Predynastic period (4000- 3100 BCE).

Nineveh was first built in 3500 BCE, so it would also predate the Flood.

The original Babylon is difficult to date, but it was a minor town in Sargon’s time, and only became a prominent city and capital of Babylonia, during the 19th century BCE and later.

Akkad is found in historical accounts, however the city has never been located. Sargon the Great started the Akkadian dynasty in Sumer, and expanded his empire to include all of Sumer as well as Assyria; Sargon was either born at Akkad or he founded the city himself. But with the location of Akkad unknown, it is not possible to date the city.

But Uruk or Erech has even older history. Like Jericho, Uruk was a city where people of different periods built settlements, on top of older settlements, so it’s history - the original settlement - go back as far as 5000 BCE. Each layers are preserved, like a time capsule, where you can date each layer to certain period. Uruk didn’t become important until 4000 BCE, and it thrive and prosper throughout the 4th millennium BCE, peak from 3600 to 3100 bce. By 3100 bce, other Sumerian cities began to thrive...until Sargon started up the Akkadian empire, conquering all Sumerian cities, including Uruk and Ur.

Ur isn’t mentioned in Genesis 10, but it too has a long history, originally built around 4000 to 3800 BCE. But Ur is mentioned in Genesis 11 as a city that Abraham was born in. The problem with Genesis Ur is that it mentioned “Chaldean”.

Chaldea didn’t exist until early 1st millennium BCE.

Lastly the Assyrian city of Calah, or more precisely Kalhu, wasn’t built until the reign of the Assyrian king Shalmaneser I (1274 - 1245 BCE).

Now unless Nimrod have lived a couple of thousands of years, he couldn’t have built both Uruk (Erech) and Kalhu (Calah).

Does anyone dispute what I have written?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

In Genesis 10, the narratives claimed that many of the cities and kingdoms didn’t exist until after the flood, narrated in the earlier chapters Genesis 6, 7 & 8. Genesis 10 supposedly claimed that many nations and cities were created by children and grandchildren of the 3 sons of Noah.

The most prominent examples are that of Ham’ children particularly Mizraim which is the Hebrew name for Egypt, and Nimrod, who supposedly started up the cities in Babylonia (Shinar) and in Assyria:
  • Erech (Uruk),
  • Accad (Akkad),
  • Babylon,
  • Nineveh,
  • Calah,
  • Rehoboth-ir,
  • and Resen.

Now I don’t know anything about the last two - Rehoboth-ir and Resen, because there are historical records or archaeological evidences that these two existed, other than in the Bible and extra-biblical literature, so I am going to assume they don’t exist.

But the others mentioned, as well as Egypt, well...they disprove Genesis 10 as being “history”. It would also mean, that Genesis was written in the Bronze Age (3rd and 2nd millennia BCE), but in the Iron Age, most likely after the 8th century BCE.

If my calculations are correct, Noah’s Flood would be set around 2400-2300 BCE...depending on you would interpret Exodus 12:40.

The problems with that date, is that Egypt, Erech (or more precisely Uruk or Unung) and Nineveh predated 2400 BCE.

Even the pyramids of Giza (4th dynasty), and earlier pyramids in Saqqara (eg the Step Pyramid of Djoser, 3rd dynasty) all predated 2400 BCE. Older royal burial site, like the 2nd dynasty, are mostly have kings entombed at Abydos.

But Egyptian culture evolved much further back, even before the first dynasty in 3100 BCE, the prehistoric period, when Egypt was divided as two kingdoms. Some of the artifacts discovered were still “Egyptian” in the Predynastic period (4000- 3100 BCE).

The original Babylon is difficult to date, but it was a minor town in Sargon’s time, and only became a prominent city and capital of Babylonia, during the 19th century BCE and later.

Akkad is found in historical accounts, however the city has never been located. Sargon the Great started the Akkadian dynasty in Sumer, and expanded his empire to include all of Sumer as well as Assyria; Sargon was either born at Akkad or he founded the city himself. But with the location of Akkad unknown, it is not possible to date the city.

But Uruk or Erech has even older history. Like Jericho, Uruk was a city where people of different periods built settlements, on top of older settlements, so it’s history - the original settlement - go back as far as 5000 BCE. Each layers are preserved, like a time capsule, where you can date each layer to certain period. Uruk didn’t become important until 4000 BCE, and it thrive and prosper throughout the 4th millennium BCE, peak from 3600 to 3100 bce. By 3100 bce, other Sumerian cities began to thrive...until Sargon started up the Akkadian empire, conquering all Sumerian cities, including Uruk and Ur.

Ur isn’t mentioned in Genesis 10, but it too has a long history, originally built around 4000 to 3800 BCE. But Ur is mentioned in Genesis 11 as a city that Abraham was born in. The problem with Genesis Ur is that it mentioned “Chaldean”.

Lastly the Assyrian city of Calah, or more precisely Kalhu, wasn’t built until the reign of the Assyrian king Shalmaneser I (1274 - 1245 BCE).

Now unless Nimrod have lived a couple of thousands of years, he couldn’t have built both Uruk (Erech) and Kalhu (Calah).

I certainly don't. In fact it really sounds interesting.

sooda

Veteran Member

• Erech (Uruk),
  • Accad (Akkad),
  • Babylon,
  • Nineveh,
  • Calah,
  • Rehoboth-ir,
  • and Resen.

Nope. Well done... you didn't miss a beat. The Bible isn't chronological or historical either.

Last edited:

Jeremiah Ames

• Erech (Uruk),
  • Accad (Akkad),
  • Babylon,
  • Nineveh,
  • Calah,
  • Rehoboth-ir,
  • and Resen.

My god man, I don’t even want to read all that.

But if you’re saying Genesis 10 isn’t history, I agree.

And I’ll raise that by saying most of Genesis isn’t history.

Civilization has advanced far enough that it’s hard to believe anyone (at least adults) would disagree.

gnostic

The Lost One
Nope. Well done,,, you didn't miss a beat. The Bible isn't chronological or historical either.
The only times that the Old Testament started to record actual history are the reigns of kings of Judah and Israel, along with some contemporary foreign kings, like the Assyrian Tiglath-pileser III, Sargon II, Sennacherib, etc, because the Assyrians have their own records when they interact with Judah and Israel.

Genesis 10, like you said isn’t chronological.

It also doesn’t match up with archaeological evidences that we do have in those sites mentioned in Genesis 10.

The cities listed as Nimrod being built by one man, are false, because Erech (Uruk), Nineveh, Babylon and Calah (Kalhu) weren’t built in the same century, and sometimes not even in the same millennium.

The author or authors of Genesis may be able to list some cities, but they have never understood the cities’ first appearances weren’t in the same timeline.

sooda

Veteran Member
The only times that the Old Testament started to record actual history are the reigns of kings of Judah and Israel, along with some contemporary foreign kings, like the Assyrian Tiglath-pileser III, Sargon II, Sennacherib, etc, because the Assyrians have their own records when they interact with Judah and Israel.

Genesis 10, like you said isn’t chronological.

It also doesn’t match up with archaeological evidences that we do have in those sites mentioned in Genesis 10.

The cities listed as Nimrod being built by one man, are false, because Erech (Uruk), Nineveh, Babylon and Calah (Kalhu) weren’t built in the same century, and sometimes not even in the same millennium.

The author or authors of Genesis may be able to list some cities, but they have never understood the cities’ first appearances weren’t in the same timeline.

The Pentateuch was redacted, edited, amended and added to many, many times. Sometimes for political reasons.... and you are right about geography and timelines..

gnostic

The Lost One
My god man, I don’t even want to read all that.

But if you’re saying Genesis 10 isn’t history, I agree.

And I’ll raise that by saying most of Genesis isn’t history.

Civilization has advanced far enough that it’s hard to believe anyone (at least adults) would disagree.
You shouldn’t be surprised if some don’t agree with me or with you on this matter about Genesis 10.

Most ancient civilizations and cultures, particularly those with literacy, have often invented mythological stories of how their people arose, how their culture or cities formed, etc.

It is called “founding myth”.

The Egyptians did it. The Sumerians and Akkadians have done this too. The Greek developed their myths about their origins, as have the Romans with Aeneas, Romulus and Remus. And the Chinese, Japanese and Hindus have all developed myths centred around their localities.

So, for a person like me, I am not shocked that ancient Jews developed their own origins, with their own heroes, like Adam, Noah, Abraham, Jacob, Moses and David.

It is the way to promote their cultures, even if they don’t understand the actual history of their people.

But some Christians (not all), especially creationists refused to see the reality that Genesis isn’t history.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

• Erech (Uruk),
  • Accad (Akkad),
  • Babylon,
  • Nineveh,
  • Calah,
  • Rehoboth-ir,
  • and Resen.

no supportive documentation

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
...The problems with that date, is that Egypt, Erech (or more precisely Uruk or Unung) and Nineveh predated 2400 BCE.

Even the pyramids of Giza (4th dynasty), and earlier pyramids in Saqqara (eg the Step Pyramid of Djoser, 3rd dynasty) all predated 2400 BCE. Older royal burial site, like the 2nd dynasty, are mostly have kings entombed at Abydos...
True, and Egypt's tombs have lots of records in them that are older, because the ancient Egyptians are obsessed with burials. Whenever possible they take the house with them and the kitchen sink. Even though you have found that information it is not the original reason Genesis 10 isn't History.

Its clearly not meant for everyone, which means it cannot be intended as world History. We laugh at the thought that peace can come through laying down our weapons and defenses. This book along with the other 4 accuses us all of making the wrong choice about violence. Generally most people believe in peace-through-violence unless we have embraced Abraham's shalom. When we read his book, we look for justifications of our violence, our revenge and our politics. We say to ourselves "We couldn't survive without our guns, our armies and our protections. There is no other way to continue and to preserve our culture but to be strong and well armed," yet its clear that Jews have managed to do it for a very long time. This is the main evidence that its not our History.

Jeremiah Ames

Y'all are so misled! Though it's to be expected -- Revelation 12:9..."...who is misleading the entire inhabited earth."
You present a Gish. If it's allowed....
Here's mine (with the proffered documention):

http://www.2001translation.com/Authenticity.htm

I started reading the first two paragraphs of the first link and found errors in the commentary, so had to quit reading. Time is too valuable to waste.

Jeremiah Ames

You found errors, but can't post them....got it!

You seem to need your God to be created in mans image, not the reverse. I see God as being an infinite supreme spiritual entity. And as such, his letter to me would be far far far more than an everyday history book. Please.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
You seem to need your God to be created in mans image, not the reverse. I see God as being an infinite supreme spiritual entity. And as such, his letter to me would be far far far more than an everyday history book. Please.
It would be accurate in every way.
So, you don't believe Jesus' ancestry mentioned in Matthew 1 & Luke 3 are real people?

Jeremiah Ames

So, you don't believe Jesus' ancestry mentioned in Matthew 1 & Luke 3 are real people?

Interesting how you took an Old Testament Genesis 10 topic, and slipped into Matthew and Luke.

Perhaps that misdirection was necessary for you for some reason beyond me.

I guess I could ask you: So, you believe the entire earth was flooded with water and some drunk guy and his family saved all life on earth using a wooden boat?

Jeremiah Ames

And, YES, it would be accurate in EVERY way.
And the person who it was written to would understand it without any problem.

Do you understand it?

gnostic

The Lost One
no supportive documentation
The earliest settlement of Uruk, Ur, Nineveh predated any writing.

In Uruk or Erech, the first inscriptions found in the Bronze Age temple, dated to 3400-3300 BCE, written in pre-Sumerian cuneiform.

The earliest Egyptian hieroglyphs has been dated to 3300 BCE, just before the 1st dynasty, and before either Narmer or Menes united the Two Lands of Egypt into a single kingdom. This proto-hieroglyphs were found inscribed on a pottery of predynastic king named U-j, at Abydos.

But the prehistoric Egyptian culture predated these inscriptions.

In the Lower Egypt (northern kingdom that included the Nile Delta) was culture were Faiyum A, Merimde culture, El Omari culture and Maadi culture. The last two were contemporaries to the Upper Egypt’s Naqada cultures, which started with Amratian culture (Naqada I), which started between 4300 and 4000 BCE.

In the southern kingdom, referred to as Upper Egypt, the cultures were called Tasman culture, Badarian culture and Naqada culture. The Naqada culture can be divided into -
  • Amratian culture (or Naqada I), from c 4300 to 3500,
  • followed by Gerzeh culture (Naqada II), 3500 to 3200
  • and lastly Naqada III, 3200 to 3150 BCE.
The first dynasty began around 3150 BCE, when the two Egypt were united into one Egypt.

These prehistoric cultures (except Naqada III) predated writings, but they distinguish by the housing types, funerary types, what methods they used to farm, pottery styles, and did they used copper or not.

So much of chronological datings involved in archaeological sites, not on written records.

gnostic

The Lost One
Interesting how you took an Old Testament Genesis 10 topic, and slipped into Matthew and Luke.

Perhaps that misdirection was necessary for you for some reason beyond me.

I guess I could ask you: So, you believe the entire earth was flooded with water and some drunk guy and his family saved all life on earth using a wooden boat?
Don’t forget Gerry, in his earlier post, hockeycowboy also mentioned the NT Revelation, which again has nothing to do with with Genesis 10.