• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Genesis 1-11

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
The lesson that I see throughout Genesis Chapters 1-11 is that we cannot disobey God without negative consequences. God is Mighty and fulfills His promises to us but we must obey His laws. He's a jealous God and demands our obedience.

FFH

Veteran Member
There are many pages of the original text that were not included in the the King James Version of Genesis. The Joseph Smith Translation fills in these missing scriptures, from the original text, by direct inspiration from God, who wrote them. If you see discrepancies in the KJV, verses your text, Deut, I am interested in them.

For the LDS reading this thread: The Book of Moses, in the Pearl of Great Price, is Genesis 1-6, up to verse 13, with all of the corrections, exactly the way that Joseph Smith received it, in the Inspired Version of the Bible. In the King James version there are many pages of text missing from Genesis. Joseph Smith restored these verses, in his Inspired Version of the Bible. Only Genesis 1-6 are included in the Book of Moses, in the Pearl of Great Price.

The corresponding chapter and verse numbers have also been altered, in the KJV, and this makes a bit more complicated, when trying to match up chapter and verse, with the Masoretic text. It can be done, though, as long as the corresponding chapter and verse numbers, in the Masoretic text, have not been changed, from their original form, and as long as the basic text is still intact, and nothing is missing. Words may have been altered, in the Masoretic text, but the basic text may still be intact, with the corresponding chapters, and verses, which would match up to the JST (Joseph Smith translation) but not to the KJV, until chapter 16 of Genesis.

Bishka

Veteran Member
FFH said:
There are many pages of the original text that were not included in the the King James Version of Genesis. The Joseph Smith Translation fills in these missing scriptures, from the original text, by direct inspiration from God, who wrote them. If you see discrepancies, you need to talk to me Deut. Get to your point.

For the LDS reading this thread: The Book of Moses, in the Pearl of Great Price, is Genesis 1-6, up to verse 13, with all of the corrections, the way that Joseph Smith received it, in the Inspired Version of the Bible. In the King James version there are many pages of text missing from Genesis. Jospeph Smith restored these verses, in his Inspired Version of the Bible. Only Genesis 1-6 are included in the Book of Moses, in the Pearl of Great Price.

The coordinating chapter and verse numbers have also been altered, in the KJV, and this makes a bit more complicated, when trying to match up chapter and verse, with the Masoretic text. It can be done, though, as long as the coordinating chapters and verses, in the Masoretic text, have not been changed, from their original form, and as long as the basic text is still intact, and nothing is missing. Words may have been altered but the basic text may still be intact, with the correct chapters and verses, which would match up to the JST (Joseph Smith translation) but not to the KJV, until chapter 16.
Yet remember FFH, not everyone on this forum believe pages were missing out of the Bible. We do, as Latter-day Saints, but not many others do. :)

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
As soon as I claim to completely understand God, I would indeed be a hypocrite! Christianity is a journey: not a static place to be. Every day the Christian should be understanding God just a bit better than the day before, as they submit to the Spirit. This is why there is such a huge variation in what Christians believe.
Deut 13:1 said:
Netdoc: Isn't it hypocritical to maintain the position that people sometimes understand G-d while this would require you to fully understand G-d? If not, expand on your thoughts, I'm mostly interested on how Christians view these passages.

Deut 13:1

FFH said:
There are many pages of the original text that were not included in the the King James Version of Genesis. The Joseph Smith Translation fills in these missing scriptures, from the original text, by direct inspiration from God, who wrote them. If you see discrepancies in the KJV, verses your text, Deut, I am interested in them.
I see plenty between the Hebrew and and your text. I don't own a KJV, in fact, the only English Bible I have is a stone edition chumash and a JPS. Couple questions since you insist we edited the Torah. What year was the KJV translated? 16xx if I recall correctly (I could be off). Now, what evidence do you have that from 16xx to now, we changed Torah?

This book of moses sounds very midrash-like to me.

NetDoc said:
As soon as I claim to completely understand God, I would indeed be a hypocrite! Christianity is a journey: not a static place to be. Every day the Christian should be understanding God just a bit better than the day before, as they submit to the Spirit. This is why there is such a huge variation in what Christians believe.
I think you're missing my point. In order to claim the engine of a car is broken, you need to understand car engines. In order to claim that no one can fully understand G-d, you need to understand G-d yourself to say this...

Aqualung

Tasty
Well, might I suggest making a thread for you and your LDS followers to discuss and come to an agreement before we take this conversation any further? There is no point in saying, "They were under the law that always goverended christs churche" when no one but you knows what those law(s) are/were.
Sorry. I guess I won't try to be helpful and answer your questions. :rolleyes: :banghead3

Deut said:
Let me know when you come to a consensous on which laws they were under. Then we can get into the more interesting aspect of this discussion.
Let me know when you have decided to be civil enough to tell me that when you ask me questions you don't actually want me to answer them/

Aqualung said:
Sorry. I guess I won't try to be helpful and answer your questions. :rolleyes: :banghead3

Let me know when you have decided to be civil enough to tell me that when you ask me questions you don't actually want me to answer them/
This is what you're doing... 2 + 2 = a Number.

When I ask what number, you say you're not sure.

Seriously, figure out what the laws are that they were/are under, and we can continue, I actually want to discuss this.

Bangbang

beckysoup61 said:
Yet remember FFH, not everyone on this forum believe pages were missing out of the Bible. We do, as Latter-day Saints, but not many others do. :)
Not only pages but entire books.

Bangbang

What is the Christian perspective on these chapters?
According to the Christian these chapters of Genesis tell us how the universe came into being. It shows the work of creation and Gods purpose for creating man. It shows mans relationship with God and mans relationship with the animals.It gives the reason for death and trouble experienced by mankind. Genesis gives us the hope od deliverance from death. Genesis points out that all humans descended from one man Adam who sinned and lost life for his posterity enabling us to understand how the ransom of one sacrifice,Jesus Christ,could atone for the sins of mankind. The book shows us how the issue of Gods sovereignty was raised by the serpent,Satanthe Devil.It gives us the sure hope of the destruction of Satan the Devil and relief for mankind. It recounts the origin of Babylon and thus all the false religion in the post flood earth. We get a view on how God feels about false worship and how much he detests it. He detests it so much that he causes a great flood to kill all the living creatures on the earth. We see Gods arangement with Noah and his family to save true worship of God while God destroys everything else on earth. We see that God is a jeaolous god and simply will not tolerate any worship to other gods.

Scuba Pete

I think you're missing my point. In order to claim the engine of a car is broken, you need to understand car engines. In order to claim that no one can fully understand G-d, you need to understand G-d yourself to say this...
I didn't miss the point, but believe it to be wrong.

As an ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician, I routinely listened to people who had NO understanding of their engine or of it's subsystems and freely admitted as such! That they had no clue that the camshaft rotated at half the speed of the crankshaft or that most modern cars lack an ignition distributor. However, this does not impede them from discerning that SOMETHING is wrong. Their standard is that a car should be able to accelerate at a particular rate and that the engine should feel relatively smooth without any peculiar noises. I would venture to claim that MOST drivers today have little knowledge of the internal combustion engine (traditional or rotary), not to mention all the ancilliary systems needed to produce an automobile.

In much the same way, ANYONE who claims complete mastery in understanding EVERYTHING about a car is either a fool, a lunatic, a liar or simply naieve. They would have to understand braking technologies, tire manufacturing & repair, body repair, body creation, engine repair & diagnostics, feedback system repair & diagnostics, Vehicle geometry, steering technologies (power, manual, rack & pinion, gear box), AC systems, Upholstery, paint... the list is almost ENDLESS.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
NetDoc said:
You're right. And for this reason, I pray for spiritual understanding every single time I open my Bible...so that I'll understand what I'm reading in the way that God himself intends His word to be read. I make mistakes. He doesn't.

Scuba Pete

One of my favorite scriptures:

Ephesians 1:15 For this reason, ever since I heard about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints, 16 I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers. 17 I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. 18 I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, 19 and his incomparably great power for us who believe. NIV

Oh that the eyes of my heart would be fully open, that I might fully understand! :D

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
NetDoc said:
One of my favorite scriptures:

Ephesians 1:15 For this reason, ever since I heard about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints, 16 I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers. 17 I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. 18 I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, 19 and his incomparably great power for us who believe. NIV

Oh that the eyes of my heart would be fully open, that I might fully understand! :D
Great post, NetDoc! I have these verses highlighted in my Bible.

FFH

Veteran Member
Adam was given the "law of sacrifice", which was in similitude of the sacrifice, that Jesus Christ would offer for our sins. Joseph Smith's Inspired Version of Genesis gives an account of Adam being baptized and given the Holy Ghost. There is so much more, I cannot even begin to have a decent conversation with you, Deut, unless you had a copy of the Joseph Smith Translation. Even if we compare the KJV with your Masoretic text there will most likely be discrepancies, which you will most definitely point out.

The Masoretic text is an altered text, even more so than the KJV, and both are missing key teachings and principles, which were taken out of Genesis. The KJV and the Masoretic text are similar, and both have flaws, but the King James is closer to the original Hebrew text, than the Masoretic text. No rational discussion could be undertaken unless the same texts were used in this thread. It is impossible to have a descent discussion on chapters 1-11, in Genesis, because so much of Genesis has been altered, and is missing. Both the KJV and the Masoretic text are missing many pages of the original Hebrew text.

If you want to discuss a certain scripture then lets do that, but such vague questions cause confusion which is what I think you like to do. I am sure there is a specific direction that you want this thread to go in, so why don't you just get to the point of why you started this thread.