• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gender changes

Maximilian

Energetic proclaimer of Jehovah God's Kingdom.
I'll worry about my own problems. I don't wish to discuss whether I need a psychiatrist as a result of you baiting with mass insensitive proselytizing cerebrum genocide in my thread. I'd also stop telling people they have ADD if I were you too.

And Gender Dysphoria is a mental illness which is regularly treated by qualified mental health care professionals.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
And Gender Dysphoria is a mental illness which is regularly treated by qualified mental health care professionals.

I see what you mean with one correction: I don't think it's 100 percent accurate to describe it as a mental illness, I feel this article may describe it better:

What Is Gender Dysphoria?

I'm not disagreeing with this whole post, just correcting. Perhaps some day I will explain what I'm doing about all of this. But for now, it's a bit personal.

Maximilian

I see what you mean with one correction: I don't think it's 100 percent accurate to describe it as a mental illness, I feel this article may describe it better:

What Is Gender Dysphoria?

I'm not disagreeing with this whole post, just correcting. Perhaps some day I will explain what I'm doing about all of this. But for now, it's a bit personal.

"The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) provides for one overarching diagnosis of gender dysphoria" (Emphasis mine.)

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Alright guys, here's what I plan to do. I have a lot of stress in my life right now so it may really, truly be best for me to wait a little bit on the whole "hormone" thing. In the meantime, I'm going to explore the subject more and see how I feel dressing more..... gender-neutral...... for starters. And since I have an upcoming routine check-up with a Psychiatrist, I'm going to utilize it to discuss this subject, even if the visit costs extra due to a much extended session. It's for the best.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
What is your evidence?
You are putting the cart before the horse. People don't become transgender because they have gender dysphoria. Transgender is something they are, gender dysphoria is what happens when some of those who are transgender do not transition but not all those who are transgender feel the need to transition therefore they do not exhibit gender dysphoria. It largely depends on the individual and their needs.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
You are putting the cart before the horse. People don't become transgender because they have gender dysphoria. Transgender is something they are, gender dysphoria is what happens when some of those who are transgender do not transition but not all those who are transgender feel the need to transition therefore they do not exhibit gender dysphoria. It largely depends on the individual and their needs.

Thank you. You're such a nice, huggable person sometimes. (no sarcasm intended)

Maximilian

Do you believe homosexuality is a "mental illness"?

"Mental illnesses are health conditions involving changes in emotion, thinking or behavior (or a combination of these). Mental illnesses are associated with distress and/or problems functioning in social, work or family activities."

Given all of the "distress and/or problems functioning in social, work or family activities" that result when "changes in emotion, thinking or behavior (or a combination of these)" drive someone to become homosexual, how does homosexuality not fit with the definition of mental illness?

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
"Mental illnesses are health conditions involving changes in emotion, thinking or behavior (or a combination of these). Mental illnesses are associated with distress and/or problems functioning in social, work or family activities."

Given all of the "distress and/or problems functioning in social, work or family activities" that result when "changes in emotion, thinking or behavior (or a combination of these)" drive someone to become homosexual, how does homosexuality not fit with the definition of mental illness?
A simple yes or no would suffice

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

Alright, I think I understand the argument:

1. Take all the pain and emotions the LGBTQ+ community has felt caused by religious bigotry. The separation from family, etc caused by it.

2. Make the conclusion they're mentally ill.

3. ??????

4. Profit.

Maximilian

Alright, I think I understand the argument:

1. Take all the pain and emotions the LGBTQ+ community has felt caused by religious bigotry. The separation from family, etc caused by it.

2. Make the conclusion they're mentally ill.

3. ??????

4. Profit.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Thats actually a pretty good brief summary of it.