• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gehenna Is Not Hellfire; what is it?

Treasure Hunter

Excuse me?
Are you implying that some want to be thrown in it? That it’s their will / desire?

I must’ve misunderstood.
The fire you are talking about is within. Heavenly treasure is only for those willing to have their faith tested. This can only be heard by those with the ears to hear it.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
But, no one will be, or has been judged until Christ returns. Abraham, Moses and David died, so did Peter, Paul and Mary, they too require standing at the Great White throne, as do Hitler, Pol Pot, Darwin, Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins.
I don't believe that the consequence of rebellion or lack of faith, will be extinguishment from life and consciousness, but frustrating remorse for their rejection of God's gracious and gratuitous mercy.
I find at Acts 24:15 that there will be ( future ) a resurrection of both the righteous and unrighteous (KJV just and unjust )
Those who commit the unforgivable sin are already judged - Matthew 12:32
Frustrating remorse can be turned into repentance leading to everlasting life on Earth forever.
Yes, David (Acts 2:34) and the rest are Not yet judged for everlasting life, but they will have a resurrection.
Standing at, or rather standing before the Great White 'heavenly' throne.
Earth is God's footstool - Isaiah 66:1 A; Acts 7:49 A; Psalm 115:16
They will be standing on Earth because they are Not part of the ones like those of Luke 22:28-30; Daniel 7:18.Rev. 20:6; 5:9-10
David will be a 'prince' on Earth under Christ's heavenly throne - Ezekiel 34:23-25; 37:25 B; Psalm 45:16
David (and those of Hebrews chapter 11) will be part of the humble meek who will inherit (Not Heaven) but inherit the Earth - Matt. 5:5; Psalm 37:9-11

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I’m asking this question for a reason but rhetorically:
What would happen if a chosen one, someone whose name is written in the book of eternal life, is thrown into this fire?
First of all, a person's name is first penciled in the book of life.
In other words, a person's name can be blotted out of the book of life.
Not until Jesus completes his 1,000 year reign over Earth will the names be written in permanent ink.

Last edited:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Nobody is thrown into the fire against their will. Remember that God appears to Moses as fire, and that fire can be used to purify.
Yes, fire can be symbolic as used to purify, the the 'fire of Gehenna' does Not purify but destroy - Psalm 92:7; 104:35; Proverbs 2:21-22
The definition of the lake of 'fire' is defined as ' second death ' Rev. 20:13-14
Sinner Satan will end up in ' second death ' - Rev. 21:8
So, yes, against Satan's will he will end up in that symbolic fire meaning: gone forever.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Don’t count on this. The only sure bet is to become one with the Son and the Father and resurrect yourself. Just like Jesus did.
The Bible teaches that God resurrected Jesus -> Acts 2:24; Acts 3:15; Acts 5:30 A; Acts 10:40; Acts 13:30,37; Romans 4:24; Colossians 2:12
So, dead from Friday to Sunday Jesus was dead just as Jesus taught about the dead at John 11:11-14 from Psalm 115:17; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5
Jesus talked and prayed about becoming 'one ' in John chapter 17
Please notice that Jesus prayed his followers be one just as he and his God are one - John 17:11; John 17:21-23
Jesus was Not praying they all become God but rather be 'one' in faith, belief, teaching, purpose, goal, harmony, agreement, objective.

Last edited:

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Nobody is thrown into the fire against their will. Remember that God appears to Moses as fire, and that fire can be used to purify.
One must take a stand against God and not repent to be thrown into that symbolic lake. Adam did that. Satan did that. We certainly do not know everyone's outcome. Since Jehovah sees our hearts and thinking, we also need to be aware of that. But really, who can tell Jehovah what to do? He is the Maker and Designer and does what He wants. We shall see what the future brings. But the Bible says to fear Him.

Treasure Hunter

Yes, fire can be symbolic as used to purify, the the 'fire of Gehenna' does Not purify but destroy - Psalm 92:7; 104:35; Proverbs 2:21-22
The definition of the lake of 'fire' is defined as ' second death ' Rev. 20:13-14
Sinner Satan will end up in ' second death ' - Rev. 21:8
So, yes, against Satan's will he will end up in that symbolic fire meaning: gone forever.
To clarify, nobody among those who know the Son of Man gets thrown into the fire against their will. You already know the Son of Man.

The fire only destroys the wicked. For those who know the SoM, the fire purifies. Nobody can enter into heaven without first being purified in the fire.

Treasure Hunter

But the Bible says to fear Him.
Fear him but love him with all your heart. Your love for him should overcome your fear. Those who love him, love his son and do his will of uniting heaven and earth. To love his son is to follow him into the wilderness and into the fire. The son knows how to do his father’s will.

Last edited:

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Before I attempt to answer that question, I'd like to know if you believe in an intelligent thinking higher power.

Please don't avoid the question. I asked you something. Why would you choose to believe in a God that is wrathful and jealous and "can do whatever he wants"?

What I believe in isn't what's being discussed. But, you can dm me if you want.

YoursTrue

Fear him but love him with all your heart. Your love for him should overcome your fear. Those who love him, love his son and do his will of uniting heaven and earth. To love his son is to follow him into the wilderness and into the fire. The son knows how to do his father’s will.
I'm not disagreeing with you. Thinking about it, though, angels will remain angels, humans as humans, and God, of course, God.

YoursTrue

Please don't avoid the question. I asked you something. Why would you choose to believe in a God that is wrathful and jealous and "can do whatever he wants"?

Ok there is a difference. But yes, God is a spirit person, the creator of the universe. Now since he is the creator, he knows best. He will listen to His servants, but that doesn't mean He must obey them. Another question is, if a person believes in evolution by natural selection rather than God being the Supreme Ruler and designer, why think about it? If you don't want to answer the pertaining points, I understand.

YoursTrue

Please don't avoid the question. I asked you something.q

Why would you choose to believe in a God that is wrathful and jealous and "can do whatever he wants"?

Gehenna and the concept of eternal torture consciously of the person is not the right interpretation of the scriptures.

YoursTrue

One of the reasons I ask is because if you believe in evolution rather than creation, there's nothing but death anyway in the future.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
One of the reasons I ask is because if you believe in evolution rather than creation, there's nothing but death anyway in the future.

Not exactly true. One can be a theistic evolutionist.

Gehenna and the concept of eternal torture consciously of the person is not the right interpretation of the scriptures.

How would you interpret them?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The following is an excerpt from a non-JW Index , the link of which is posted below….

Garbage Dump
The Greek word GeHenna is often translated as Hell Fire in other Bibles.
However, the word simply means the Valley (heb. ge) of Hinnom.

Understand that the Valley of Hinnom (also referred to as ‘the Valley of the Sons of Hinnom‘) was an actual place in ancient JeruSalem.
It wasn’t some symbolic Hell fire;
Rather, it was a valley that was used as the city’s garbage dump, which was located along the southeastern corner of its outer wall.

Before JeruSalem’s conquest by Babylon, the Valley of Hinnom had once been a beautiful park.
However, because unfaithful Jews started offering their children as sacrifices on an altar to the God Moloch there (see 2 Chronicles 28:3);
After their repatriation to JeruSalem, the people started using it as a place to dump their garbage and refuse.

Of course, since it was a garbage dump, it was necessary to keep the garbage burning in order to reduce the stench and to limit the number of flies and rats.
So, sulfur and sulfurous rocks known as ‘brimstone’ were regularly thrown into the dump to keep the fires burning hot.
And this is why Jesus, when using the term, spoke of the fire as not being put out.
Also, because worms (maggots) bred along the edges of the dump, he could say that the worms would always be there.

The only cases where humans were actually thrown into GeHenna provides an insight into what Jesus was talking about when he referred to people as going there.
For there were cases where the dead bodies of particularly vile criminals were thrown into GeHenna’s fires, because people felt that they were undeserving of a decent burial.
And as you read the Scriptures, you will notice the importance that Hebrews placed on being ‘laid to rest with their ancestors.’

So when Jesus spoke of people being thrown into GeHenna;
He was using the name of a familiar place to make the point that those whom God views as being unrepentant sinners would be thrown into the ‘garbage dump;’
For they were unworthy of a resurrection by Him.
Notice that this outcome was well illustrated by what happened to wicked Queen JezeBel, for her body was eaten by dogs.

Such an outcome for the willfully wicked was also referred to by Jesus (in Matthew’s account) as the fire of the age.
Why did he use that term?
Because fire destroys, and this destruction is for the ages.
(For more information, see the linked document, ‘Is there a Burning Hell?’)
Notes

(Oops! Title has a typo. It should be “Gehenna is not hellfire”. Sorry.)
In the dictionary, the translation to English is place of misery. Not Valley of Hinnom.

YoursTrue

In the dictionary, the translation to English is place of misery. Not Valley of Hinnom.

)
Dictionaries may not always have the proper interpretation of some things. They may take what is common jargon, not necessarily accurate.
An in-depth study would be good for you.
Few people want to die anyway, so it's not like many look forward to death.

YoursTrue

Not exactly true. One can be a theistic evolutionist.

How would you interpret them?
One would have to have an open mind to understand the difference between hell and Gehenna. And be willing to examine the scriptures in depth. If you're willing to do so, perhaps we can discuss it in greater detail.