• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gay Marriage in New York

Rakhel

Well. Shut my mouth and call me granny. It passed.

State Senate passes gay marriage bill 33-29

AP
Last Updated: 10:53 PM, June 24, 2011
Posted: 5:47 PM, June 24, 2011

ALBANY – New York lawmakers narrowly voted to legalize same-sex marriage Friday, handing activists a breakthrough victory in the state where the gay rights movement was born.
New York will become the sixth state where gay couples can wed and the biggest by far.
Gay rights advocates are hoping the vote will galvanize the movement around the country and help it regain momentum after an almost identical bill was defeated here in 2009 and similar measures failed in 2010 in New Jersey and this year in Maryland and Rhode Island.
Though New York is a relative latecomer in allowing gay marriage, it is considered an important prize for advocates, given the state's size and New York City's international stature and its role as the birthplace of the gay rights movement, which is considered to have started with the Stonewall riots in Greenwich Village in 1969.

The New York bill cleared the Republican-controlled state Senate on a 33-29 vote. The Democrat-led Assembly, which passed a different version last week, is expected to pass the new version with stronger religious exemptions and Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who campaigned on the issue last year, has promised to sign it. Same-sex couples can begin marrying begin 30 days after that. The passage of New York's legislation was made possible in two Republican senators who had been undecided.

Read more: State Senate passes gay marriage bill 33-29 - NYPOST.com
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/...marriage_DQSIxEbfqKshtUoI32M8YL#ixzz1QGI1h3g0

Rakhel

I have to admit, I was surprised. I didn't expect it. I wasn't against it, as I feel they have the right to be as miserable as the rest of us, but with the religious right usually have control of the how the vote goes, I didn't expect it would pass. Now they have to wait for the governor to sign it. Then, in a month it is law.

Rakhel

The bill will go into effect July 24. It further has this amendment preventing a civil rights lawsuit.

S 10-b. Religious exception. 1. Notwithstanding any state, local or municipal law, rule, regulation, ordinance, or other provision of law to the contrary, a religious entity as defined under the education law or section two of the religious corporations law, or a corporation incorporated under the benevolent orders law or described in the benevolent orders law but formed under any other law of this state, or a not-for-profit corporation operated, supervised, or controlled by a religious corporation, or any employee thereof, being managed, directed, or supervised by or in conjunction with a religious corporation, benevolent order, or a not-for-profit corporation as described in this subdivision, shall not be required to provide services, accommodations, advantages, facilities, goods, or privileges for the solemnization or celebration of a marriage. Any such refusal to provide services, accommodations, advantages, facilities, goods, or privileges shall not create any civil claim or cause of action or result in any state or local government action to penalize, withhold benefits, or discriminate against such religious corporation, benevolent order, a not-for-profit explanation.​
Nothing in this article shall limit or diminish the right, pursuant to subdivision eleven of section two hundred ninety-six of the executive law, of any religious or denominational institution or organization, or any organization operated for charitable or educational purposes, which is operated, supervised or controlled by or in connection with a religious organization, to limit employment or sales or rental of housing accommodations or admission to or give preference to persons of the same religion or denomination or from taking such action as is calculated by such organization to promote the religious principles for which it is established or maintained.
Nothing in this section shall be deemed or construed to limit the protections and exemptions otherwise provided to religious organizations under section three of article one of the constitution of the state of New York.​
A refusal by a clergyman or minister as defined in section two of the religious corporations law, or society for ethical culture leader to solemnize any marriage under this subdivision shall not create a civil claim or cause of action or result in any state or local government action to penalize, withhold benefits or discriminate against such clergyman or minister.
Religious exceptions within New York’s gay marriage bill - Under God - The Washington Post

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
I have to admit, I was surprised. I didn't expect it. I wasn't against it, as I feel they have the right to be as miserable as the rest of us, but with the religious right usually have control of the how the vote goes, I didn't expect it would pass. Now they have to wait for the governor to sign it. Then, in a month it is law.

Yeah, I was quite surprised when I read about it this morning. We're visiting family in Atlanta this weekend and it sparked a very ... lively.... discussion this morning.

I was glad to hear it passed. We're slowly moving in the right direction as a country.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
I love that the inclusion of the "religious exemption" clause prevents the fundies from claiming they will be forced to perform LGBT marriages.

Good on NY!!!

Hopefully more states to follow.

(Come on Colorado!)
:rainbow1: