• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gay Christian

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Oh yeah I know being gay isn't a choice. The Bible does say do not lay with man

I mean just sexual orientation rather than behavior. It solves the biblical issues cause homosexuality is a totally different definition than medical books.

Choice aside. The question makes more sense to ask would one be Christian if they practiced a behavior contradicting scripture. That or use same-sex behavior. It's technically correct to use behavior words applied to all people rather than focus on people as a association to particular behaviors.

King Phenomenon

I mean just sexual orientation rather than behavior. It solves the biblical issues cause homosexuality is a totally different definition than medical books.

Choice aside. The question makes more sense to ask would one be Christian if they practiced a behavior contradicting scripture. That or use same-sex behavior. It's technically correct to use behavior words applied to all people rather than focus on people as a association to particular behaviors.
being gay contradict Scripture. You're getting a little overthe top here

Rational Agnostic

I don't mean to proselytize, but I think if you're gay then you have no excuse for buying into Christianity. You should know on a personal level how abhorrent and backwards of an ideology it is, and all you're doing is bolstering the numbers of the people responsible for the persecution of everyone who share your suffering.

If you still think that religion is divinely inspired despite its hatred for you, I'm sorry. Religion has a way of getting into people's heads and hating yourself for who you love is no way to live. If you believe that God is love, though, then it should be clear that Christianity doesn't lead to God.

ETA: That's not my attempt to convert anyone, I don't think we have any gay Christians here. I just think the idea is silly on a conceptual level.

Same thing applies to straight people. In Matthew 5 Jesus literally says that men looking at women is a sin. It's ridiculous. As Nietzsche said, Christianity goes against everything natural and normal, and basically calls natural, healthy behavior bad and weak, self-loathing, self-destructive behavior good. The infamous "transvaluation of values."

Mitty

My lesbian friend and her girlfriend are both christians. She loves god and loves the bible. If she and her girlfriend decided to stay celibate and have a relationship (just as strong as they would when they are intimate) they wouldn't be going against the bible. I really doesn't have to do with whether they are gay (lesbian, straight, so have you) but what they (gay, straight, lesbian, so have you) Do that may or may not be against the bible.

Some of her morals I would say they are against the bible. But I wouldn't personally (me personally) judge a christian (Hindu, whoever) based on how they practice their faith and in their relationship with god. People in the bible had relationships with god way before anything was written down. So, maybe the question is more, in what instances can one be a christian yet behave in a way that contradicts the bible?
But there's nothing in the bible about female homosexuality anyway, given that female homosexuals do not have anal sex as described in Leviticus 18:22 & 20:13 and in Romans 1:26-27 for heterosexual women.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
So does eating a pork chop. So what?

Jesus wasn't the legal literalist many modern Christians are. He often contradicted the Law when it didn't serve moral conduct. In fact, some of His most withering criticisms were against Jewish authorities who kept the letter of the Law quite ostentatiously, while not the spirit of the Law. He called them "whitewashed sepulchres, full of the bones of dead men."

Personally, I see a lot of modern Christians as quite similar. Jesus was pretty harsh on them, too.
Tom

King Phenomenon

But there's nothing in the bible about female homosexuality anyway, given that female homosexuals do not have anal sex as described in Leviticus 18:22 & 20:13 and in Romans 1:26-27 for heterosexual women.
Coomon Sense tells me otherwise. Does it reference female murder rape lying cheating stealing? Not sure if it does but I'm sure those laws pertain to man and woman no?

Altfish

Veteran Member
Unfortunately those types of people would be around even if there were never any religions. Christianity and other religions aren't the underlying cause and I would be foolish to believe otherwise.
But too often their religion reinforces their hatred and bigotry.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Do you believe being gay is something somebody does?

If so, one can "be gay" and be Christian but it depends on whether the gay person is being gay.

It just depends on how you define gay and homosexuality to answer your OP. If going by biblical definition, that Christian would just need to grow in Christ and correct his actions. If an orientation, the two aren't related to each other.

So, it depends on how you are defining gay and homosexual to answer your OP.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

But the words are wrong. If many people are not against homosexuality, there needs to be a correct use of the term. If using it the same way christians do, it's a foregone conclusion. Sexual promiscuity is against scripture regardless if the person is gay, straight, or bi.

The words are off.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
love thy neighbor isn't meant to address sins
Yes it is absolutely meant to address sin. That is the core of Jesus's teaching. "Love is the fulfilment of the Law". "Love works no ill".

"...and whatever other command there may be, are summed up in this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

~Romans 13:8-13

Mitty

Dear Christian, one day the Jesus is coming. You may be at work, you may be at home. Be ready when He makes His personal appeal. Be 100% sure, the Jesus is not gay.
And will he love one of his disciples again instead of a wife?
Coomon Sense tells me otherwise. Does it reference female murder rape lying cheating stealing? Not sure if it does but I'm sure those laws pertain to man and woman no?
So where does the bible say anything about female homosexuality, given that the bible specifically deals with other aspects of female sexuality, including bestiality and adultery?

And do you have any evidence that female homosexuals have anal sex as obviously described in Leviticus 18:22 & 20:13 and in Romans 1:26-27 for heterosexual women?

Or are you claiming that the biblical writers didn't have any coomon sense (sic)?

Last edited:

Mitty

But the words are wrong. If many people are not against homosexuality, there needs to be a correct use of the term. If using it the same way christians do, it's a foregone conclusion. Sexual promiscuity is against scripture regardless if the person is gay, straight, or bi.

The words are off.
So what's that got to do with the fact that the bible says nothing about female homosexuality?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Dear Christian, one day the Jesus is coming. You may be at work, you may be at home. Be ready when He makes His personal appeal. Be 100% sure, the Jesus is not gay.
Because for sure, 100%, you're not gay, damnit!

Such an emphasis on other's gayness for you. Why is that?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
So what's that got to do with the fact that the bible says nothing about female homosexuality?

Because homosexuality isn't an action. So there are many lesbians in the Bible. We don't know who sense the Bible doesn't mention sexual orientation. It's irrelevant.

Do you believe homosexuality is what a man or woman does?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Common sense tells me that the Bible is the product of fallible humans.

If you want to really legalistic about it, Lev. 20:13 only forbids sex lying down. But, for some reason, people like to read a broader meaning into it when it suits them.
Tom

eik

Do gay Christians.....
No such thing as being a "gay Christian" is found anywhere in the bible. You are introducing a gnostic notion of "Christian" that the bible knows nothing of and Christ himself knows nothing of. You said "I know being gay isn't a choice." So you promote knowledge over faith. I happen to know from my reading of the bible that being gay is a choice, and I also know that deciding that you're gay is incompatible with being a Christian. If you decided not to be gay, you could be a (biblical) Christian. So it's a question of one person's knowledge against another. You promote a "knowledge based" version of Christianity that conforms to your own sensibilities and preferences and "knowledge", but your knowledge is an esoteric pseudo-religious extension of modern political philosophy that the bible knows nothing of, and cannot be integrated with biblical Christianity based on the teachings of Jesus Christ.

Mitty

Because homosexuality isn't an action. So there are many lesbians in the Bible. We don't know who sense the Bible doesn't mention sexual orientation. It's irrelevant.

Do you believe homosexuality is what a man or woman does?
Is that why Jesus said nothing about homosexuality and why he loved a particular disciple instead of a wife (John 20:26 21:7)?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Is that why Jesus said nothing about homosexuality and why he loved a particular disciple instead of a wife (John 20:26 21:7)?

Jesus went off OT. OT and NT says homosexuality (a behavior) is a sin.

For All people. Gay, straight, male, female, short, tall, Christian, nonchristian. In the Bible, sin applies to all people and when sexual promiquity (which to the Bible homosexuality is) is a sin. Context.