• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gay, Catholic, and Doing Fine

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I have heard a lot about how mean the Church is, and how bigoted, because she opposes gay marriage. How badly she misunderstands gay people, and how hostile she is towards us. My gut reaction to such things is: Are you freaking kidding me? Are we even talking about the same church?

When I go to Confession, I sometimes mention the fact that I’m gay, to give the priest some context. (And to spare him some confusion: Did you say ‘locker room’? What were you doing in the women’s…oh.) I’ve always gotten one of two responses: either compassion, encouragement, and admiration, because the celibate life is difficult and profoundly counter-cultural; or nothing at all, not even a ripple, as if I had confessed eating too much on Thanksgiving.

Gay, Catholic, and Doing Fine - Chastity

He's definitely not alone in his experience. Having been part of youth ministry and various other Church functions, many young people are coming out, but not for the same reasons that many in the secular world might think.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I know it's a rule violation for me to make a statement in a blue DIR, but this is a nice thing for you to post.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I know it's a rule violation for me to make a statement in a blue DIR, but this is a nice thing for you to post.

I haven't been as active in the forum but I can't imagine.....a) Rev. would get violation......and b) that what you say is ever in the realm of offensive or rude. You are one of the nicest more level headed atheist in this board. :)

ZooGirl02

I am a Roman Catholic who suffers from same sex attraction and I do practice chastity. It's not that hard.

Sariel

Heretic
Good for you. It's nice to see the church rightfully support your decision to come out and you support her in return.

ZooGirl02

I haven't yet come out to my priest. I am definitely going to though since he is my spiritual director. I also have opposite sex attraction in addition to same sex attraction. Most people would say I am bisexual but I prefer to say that I suffer from same sex attraction since "bisexual" generally seems to me that it is implied that you're sexually active when I am not.