• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gay adoption is good for children

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Given that I can't seem to find the actual methods used in the study. Didn't see any mention of alpha levels or anything eye popping, so I have to go with the null hypothesis here. Gay/Lesbian parents are equal to heterosexual parents in parental skills, as well as everything else.
It's not a study, it's many studies. The link provided will take you to the summary that lists the studies referred to.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
As this is kind of a new concept I think we have to wait a few years and see what the end result is psychologically on the adopted children.
I'm not sure about the adopted part, but we now have quite a few studies on adults raised by lesbians. You might want to click on the link provided to take a look at some of them.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
i sort of agree with you, but there are much worse things for a kid to grow up with than gay parents, which while damaging, are not the end of the world. i don't think there are going to be any adverse affects of gay adoption on kids psychologically speaking.
The evidence seems to indicate that gay parents are not damaging, and in some ways do better than straight parents.

Smoke

Done here.
As this is kind of a new concept I think we have to wait a few years and see what the end result is psychologically on the adopted children.
Autodidact has already mentioned the numerous studies that have already but done, but I want to point out while adoption by same-sex couples is kind of new, same-sex couples bringing up children isn't. I personally know people in their twenties, thirties, and even in their forties who were brought up by same-sex couples.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I would like to make a couple of other points.
The only research that comes to a different conclusion is that by that lying liar-head, Paul Cameron, who has in effect been kicked out of the Sociologists org. for lying, and the people who pay him to lie, Family Research Council and Exodus. Any researcher who just sets out to find out how children of gay and lesbian parents do, as opposed to setting out to prove their agenda that gay parents are bad, no matter how much they have to twist the facts to do so, has found that they do just fine.

Why do I say that in some ways gays and lesbians make better parents? The main reason is not that we are better people, but that homosexuality does not lead to accidental pregnancy. For biological reasons, heterosexuals have children that they do not plan for, do not want, and as a result do not always take good care of. This does not happen to homosexuals. Each and every child born or adopted to a gay person was a result of a conscious decision and, usually, careful planning. Children who are wanted, cared for and planned for are likely to have a better chance than those born to people who have neither wanted, cared for nor planned for them.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
It's not a study, it's many studies. The link provided will take you to the summary that lists the studies referred to.
I perused the summary. Wasn't anything that hit me in the face as particularly suprising. In something regarding this, defintion changes are a simple way of immediately skewing your results. Either way, I am firmly in the 'equal' camp until I see a study with a glaring deficiency for one side or the other.

kai

ragamuffin
who am i to say really ! the interest of the kid is always paramount , its one of those subjects i feel uneasy about because the accusation of homophobia could be unleashed swifter than an arrow ending all discussion . i suppose i am a traditional in i think a child needs a mother and a father figure. thats my only argument really

Love is King

The Traditional parents of Mother and Father is the best Parenting Combination for Children. Moreover a Mother and Father who are Married and where a Child is born within the bounds of that Marriage is the optimum arrangement. Anything less than that is less than optimum. So yes any other combinations may work to some degree but not as well as the scenario above. This of course does not take into account the fact that some Parents have zero ability to parent, but of course you will get these in any parenting combination.

Should Same Sex Couples be allowed to Adopt, well my answer would be no, although I would suggest this arrangement would be better than Orphanages, Childrens Hostels and the like, but when there are literally thousands for Heterosexual, good living, people out there that would love to adopt Children and struggle to find the Children to adopt then in the absence of the first mentioned scenario this would be the better solution for the Child.

kdrier

Revolutionist
There is no end to this argument. Most people I know would rather a traditional family raise a child than a homosexual family. homosexuality is abnormal. You can give me links all day to research sites and studies, it does not matter much to me. It's not natural. I strongly disagree with artificial insemination due to reasons of which I won't detail due to it being a sensitive topic especially with the people on this thread. I agree with adoption by a homosexual family only if the child needs parents. If you don't think a traditional family is better for a child than either you have no common sense, or you're just so blinded and self convinced that you've proven yourself otherwise. I'm not saying a homosexual family can't be good for a child in some situations, I'm saying a traditional family is better, If anyone does not understand that then nothing I will say will convince you otherwise. Life has a large sway to it, happiness is hard to measure, mental healthiness is hard to measure, just because someone is alive, healthy, and content, does not mean that is the best life for them. The natural way is for a child to have both a father and mother figure, and that is how it is ment to be. In the case of absense of mother and father, than I see no problem with two homosexuals taking over the raising, kind of like an aunt and uncle, or in this case, an aunt and an aunt.

I know if was living with just two women it would drive me bonkers, I can barely stand living with my girlfriend.

edit: and for the person that claimed that outside influences such as aunts, uncles, and other family members can make up for the childs lack of male or female figures, I have to disagree. Maybe to some extent they would, but not enough in my opinion. I hardly ever see my non-direct family, and when I do, it's not like we bond like direct family, not even close. My friends are more family to me than my actually non-direct family, and yes I know that varies from person to person. Also a lot of the homosexuals I know don't have very strong families, or at least don't have good relationships with their families. Most people don't hate homosexuals, but most people disagree with it, it's a touchy subject.

But that's it for me, I don't want to repeat myself or be linked to research sites anymore. I wish your homosexual families the best of luck, and hope that everything works out.

Scott C.

Just one guy
This doesn't seem like the best forum but couldn't find one more suitable. I would like to discuss the assertion that permitting gay and lesbian people to adopt is beneficial to children. Would anyone care to argue the other side?

My view is definitely based on my religious beliefs. I believe God ordained that children are entitled, by divine design, to be raised by a father and a mother. There are circumstances when this is not possible, such as when divorce can't be avoided, but the ideal is to have a father and a mother in the same home. I can't think of a scenario where I would favor a gay adoption. I don't want to offend, but I do believe that same gender sex is wrong and children should be taught that. They should be taught to love one another and to not hate anyone for their life style, but they should also be taught God's law concerning sexuality.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
The Traditional parents of Mother and Father is the best Parenting Combination for Children.
Why?
Moreover a Mother and Father who are Married and where a Child is born within the bounds of that Marriage is the optimum arrangement.
Why?
Anything less than that is less than optimum.
How do you know?
So yes any other combinations may work to some degree but not as well as the scenario above.
Do you have any facts to support this opinion? This of course does not take into account the fact that some Parents have zero ability to parent, but of course you will get these in any parenting combination.

hould Same Sex Couples be allowed to Adopt, well my answer would be no, although I would suggest this arrangement would be better than Orphanages, Childrens Hostels and the like, but when there are literally thousands for Heterosexual, good living, people out there that would love to adopt Children and struggle to find the Children to adopt then in the absence of the first mentioned scenario this would be the better solution for the Child.
And what about the thousands of children in foster care waiting for someone to adopt them?

Do you have any evidence that heterosexual parents do a better job than homosexual parents?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
There is no end to this argument. Most people I know would rather a traditional family raise a child than a homosexual family.
And why should the opinion of most people be important in this matter?
homosexuality is abnormal.
Define "abnormal."
You can give me links all day to research sites and studies, it does not matter much to me.
I understand. You don't want to be confused by the facts.
It's not natural.
Define "natural."
I strongly disagree with artificial insemination due to reasons of which I won't detail due to it being a sensitive topic especially with the people on this thread.
If you're not going to tell us why, why would we be interested in your sheer, unsupported opinion?
I agree with adoption by a homosexual family only if the child needs parents.
Every child needs parents.
If you don't think a traditional family is better for a child than either you have no common sense, or you're just so blinded and self convinced that you've proven yourself otherwise.
Or maybe I've not only read the research, but know dozens of gay and lesbian families whose kids are doing fine, including my own.
I'm not saying a homosexual family can't be good for a child in some situations, I'm saying a traditional family is better,
You're wrong.
If anyone does not understand that then nothing I will say will convince you otherwise.
It's not that I don't understand what you're saying; it's that you're wrong. There is certainly something you could say that would convince me otherwise, and here's what it is: "Here's the valid, controlled, duplicated research that indicates that children in heterosexual families do better than children in homosexual families."
Life has a large sway to it, happiness is hard to measure, mental healthiness is hard to measure, just because someone is alive, healthy, and content, does not mean that is the best life for them.
So how do you decide what is the best life for someone else? My teenage daughter thinks I'm the best mom for her, and frequently lets me know that she'd rather have me than most of her friend's parents. btw, did I mention any of her outstanding accomplishments? Or would you rather not hear any facts that contradict your prejudice?
The natural way is for a child to have both a father and mother figure, and that is how it is ment to be.
Meant by whom?
In the case of absense of mother and father, than I see no problem with two homosexuals taking over the raising, kind of like an aunt and uncle, or in this case, an aunt and an aunt.
Please repeat this to yourself: This thread is about adoption. None of these children have parents to take care of them, or they wouldn't be available for adoption.

I know if was living with just two women it would drive me bonkers, I can barely stand living with my girlfriend.

edit: and for the person that claimed that outside influences such as aunts, uncles, and other family members can make up for the childs lack of male or female figures, I have to disagree. Maybe to some extent they would, but not enough in my opinion. I hardly ever see my non-direct family, and when I do, it's not like we bond like direct family, not even close. My friends are more family to me than my actually non-direct family, and yes I know that varies from person to person. Also a lot of the homosexuals I know don't have very strong families, or at least don't have good relationships with their families. Most people don't hate homosexuals, but most people disagree with it, it's a touchy subject.

But that's it for me, I don't want to repeat myself or be linked to research sites anymore. I wish your homosexual families the best of luck, and hope that everything works out.[/quote]

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
My view is definitely based on my religious beliefs. I believe God ordained that children are entitled, by divine design, to be raised by a father and a mother. There are circumstances when this is not possible, such as when divorce can't be avoided, but the ideal is to have a father and a mother in the same home. I can't think of a scenario where I would favor a gay adoption. I don't want to offend, but I do believe that same gender sex is wrong and children should be taught that. They should be taught to love one another and to not hate anyone for their life style, but they should also be taught God's law concerning sexuality.

Since you have told us that your view is based on your religious beliefs, then I suggest that you not practice gay adoption. Other than that, there is no reason on earth why your religious beliefs should affect public policy, or anyone else's behavior.

Which version of God's law as believed by whom should be taught?

btw, did you know that God does not have a law against lesbianism? What do you bet the fact that it is NOT against God's law will not change your opinion, since your opinion is actually based on your prejudice, not scripture.

Smoke

Done here.
when there are literally thousands for Heterosexual, good living, people out there that would love to adopt Children and struggle to find the Children
Even if there were any reason to think that straight parents necessarily make better parents than gay parents, most straight couples who want to adopt -- not all of them, mind you, but most of them -- are looking for one healthy, white infant -- or, failing that, a "Chinese baby." It always amazes me when people say that gay couples shouldn't be able to adopt because there are so many straight (i.e., "better") couples longing for children. There are a lot of older children, children of color, special needs children, and sibling groups who have not been placed for adoption and will never be placed for adoption.

But while people are always saying that a straight couple is better for a child than a gay couple, they're never able to give any objective reason why.

All children are entitled to a loving family- period- GLBT families are the same loving families that straight families are. To leave a child to languish in foster care or worse in the name of some moral view based on ancient myth is a crime against humanity and is intolerable.

Smoke

Done here.
My view is definitely based on my religious beliefs. I believe God ordained that children are entitled, by divine design, to be raised by a father and a mother.
Then God is not a very good designer, and what he ordains doesn't have much influence. None of my great-grandparents were divorced, but three of my grandparents lost at least one parent in childhood, and my paternal grandfather lost both parents. It is astonishing that people will make such obviously nonsensical statements about God's will and what children are entitled to. What they really mean is that they feel entitled to impose their views on other families.

I don't want to offend, but
That's what people say when they're about to say something offensive, but don't want to be called on it.

kdrier

Revolutionist
Yea, I'm not into the research, I don't care for it. I'm all about facts. 9+1=10 is a fact. What kind of people would do research about whether or not it is better for an adopted child to have a traditonal family compared to a lesbian family? How could they determine that? I'd bet people that support it, probably lesbians or gays... because no one else cares, or disagrees, which is also done by people who could never possibly judge what is better or not for a child. "are you happy?" of course they are happy, they have parents. People adapt, people remain content. Are the people that "proved" an adopted child is no better off with homosexual parents than traditional? of course they are, now they can have kids just like regular people.

If you ask a child who is old enough to choose between gay/lesbian parents, or traditional parents, what do you think they would do? Do some research on orphan kids and ask them if they would be happier in a traditional family or a homosexual family.

There is a lot more things that could possibly disturb a child with homosexual parents compared to traditional parents, it's more complicated. The child has socially abnormal parents (yes, most straight people (probably 90% of the population) don't agree with homosexuality, although they might accept it) , and the child does not have feminine and masculine influences, which is not required, but sure helps. I'm sure the child would be ridiculed in school for it.

And I'm not going to define any terms, Dictionary.com

look up the definiton of typical and normal and see the difference there as well

Typical (hetero) is not the same as normal......
normal is a setting on a washing machine folks