• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gas prices jump to over $4.00 a gallon. Praise Allah.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Are you seriously suggesting that the United States produces more oil than the Muzzies?
The US has tons more oil than most people realize, and is a major producer of it, pumping out more than any other country. And "Muzzies?" Is that supposed to be a slur or immature cutesy word? Either way o_O

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The US has tons more oil than most people realize, and is a major producer of it, pumping out more than any other country. And "Muzzies?" Is that supposed to be a slur or immature cutesy word? Either way o_O
I suspect that "Muzzie" is a term of endearment.

Cooky

Veteran Member

OPEC produces 3/4ths of the world's oil. today only nine percent of the U.S. oil supply comes from the region. At no point in history did that figure surpass 15 percent.

The Arabs have a stranglehold on the oil industry, and with that power, they are free to keep it a seller's market as opposed to a buyer's market, by controlling production.

We are in a bad position.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
OPEC produces 3/4ths of the world's oil. today only nine percent of the U.S. oil supply comes from the region. At no point in history did that figure surpass 15 percent.
OPEC is a collective, and collectives generally are more powerful than an individual. And for the global oil supply, 9% coming from one country alone is absolutely massive.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

The Arabs have a stranglehold on the oil industry, and with that power, they are free to keep it a seller's market as opposed to a buyer's market, by controlling production.

We are in a bad position.
Balance against this the fact that fossil fuels also include gas & coal.
This limits OPEC's influence somewhat.
But worry not.....the more they sell, the less they have to sell.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Balance against this the fact that fossil fuels also include gas & coal.
This limits OPEC's influence somewhat.
But worry not.....the more they sell, the less they have to sell.

True. But even better, if only 9% of oil I buy comes from local wells, then what kind of Nationalist would I be dumping my hard earned dollars into OPEC's Islamic pockets.

...I think I'm going electric. But I would go propane if they still made them.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
True. But even better, if only 9% of oil I buy comes from local wells, then what kind of Nationalist would I be dumping my hard earned dollars into OPEC's Islamic pockets.

...I think I'm going electric. But I would go propane if they still made them.
I'm entirely in favor of your conservation measures.

dianaiad

You lived too far from where you worked.
Btw, I was near Santa Monica, but lived in West LA.

I've run across a lot of resistance from many people to letting gas
prices rise. It comes up because I advocate a higher fuel tax.
There are always reasons why they oppose it....the poor need to
drive, it's impossible for many to reduce consumption, & they
just cannot afford it.
I'll wager @BSM1's left one that if prices rose, they'd figure out
some ways to save on gas. Society would greatly benefit from
changing to be less wasteful.
Europeans manage to raise families despite paying about $8/gal.

Btw, LA was just one place where I carpooled. And it was
the shortest of my carpool commutes in various states. If
one really tries, one finds a way to save money & be green.

Our Pontiac Vibe gets around 35 mpg (around town).
Mr Van varies from 8-10, depending upon how much he's
hauling (up to 26,000#). But he drives only about 5,000 mi/year.
And I combine trips hauling for other people too, so they avoid
driving. Keeping their vehicles off the road greatly increases
efficiency.

I have news for you, m'friend. What you advocate is possible in the greater LA area and on the east coast...and in the San Francisco Bay area and in Seattle.

It's even possible in Europe, where the population is more concentrated.

It is considerably harder to take mass transit where there is no mass transit to take.

you want to raise gas taxes....that's wonderful, given that you don't actually use much gas, because YOU have access to mass transit and are close enough to your job to 'be green.' You are actually advocating that everybody else pay for doing this, while you feel virtuous.

At the same time, you aren't addressing the problems the rest of us actually have.

Try solving mine. I have a car that gets really good gas mileage. I do my best to save gas...but the FACT is, there is no mass transit for me to use. Should I go back to work (and I can, if I want to) I would be telecommuting, not driving, but that's because I have the skills that allow me to do that. I don't fix cars, or work in a hospital, or manage a retail store. If I did any of those things, my commute would be, er, considerably longer than three miles.

I'm disabled; no bike riding for me, and no walking long distances, either. Not to mention that where I live, walking to work is liable to get one heat stroke for four months out of the year. TRUST me on this one; the most dedicated racer will not ride a bicycle in the heat of a high desert summer.

Solve some of those problems for us. And don't sit on your own virtue and claim that if YOU can live close to work, can walk there, and take mass transit, that everybody else in the nation can do the same.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
And don't sit on your own virtue and claim that if YOU can live close to work, can walk there, and take mass transit, that everybody else in the nation can do the same.
I am indeed virtuous.
And higher gas prices will encourage greater virtue in others.
People will figure out how to cope. Those with less financial
wherewithal will just have to coordinate travel with others.
Gas prices cannot be kept low for the few who cannot cope.

dianaiad

I am indeed virtuous.
And higher gas prices will encourage greater virtue in others.
People will figure out how to cope. Those with less financial
wherewithal will just have to coordinate travel with others.
Gas prices cannot be kept low for the few who cannot cope.

Well, there you go. You are claiming that it is the 'few who cannot cope.'

In fact, it is a whole lot more than 'a few.'

Indeed, it is the 'few' who are comfortable in their green virtue. Rather like the way Pelosi is all about sanctuary cities, etc., but doesn't have to deal with the results of illegal immigration herself; SHE, after all, has a wall that works.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well, there you go. You are claiming that it is the 'few who cannot cope.'

In fact, it is a whole lot more than 'a few.'

Indeed, it is the 'few' who are comfortable in their green virtue. Rather like the way Pelosi is all about sanctuary cities, etc., but doesn't have to deal with the results of illegal immigration herself; SHE, after all, has a wall that works.
Just as there are those who need government assistance with food or housing,
there are some who already need assistance with transportation. With higher
fuel prices, perhaps some government program could help people cope, eg,
carpooling assistance, transportation subsidy.
But we would all greatly benefit if we moved away from burning fossil fuels.
And higher taxes resulting in higher prices is a market solution, which beats
government controlling rationing. Even without that, as reserves are used,
extraction cost increases, & so will fuel costs.

sooda

Veteran Member
Why? Typically I go to arco because It's so cheap.

Is Valero American? Even if it is, most American refineries get oil from offshore pipelines with foreign barges pumping into them about a mile offshore.

Valero Energy Corporation is a Fortune 500 international manufacturer and marketer of transportation fuels, other petrochemical products, and power. It is headquartered in San Antonio, Texas, United States. Throughout the United States and Canada, the company owns and operates 15 refineries, and one in Wales, with a combined throughput capacity of approximately 3 million barrels per day, 11 ethanol plants with a combined production capacity of 1.2 billion US gallons per year, and a 50-megawatt w....

Valero Energy - Wikipedia

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Gas prices have always gone up during the spring/summer months in the U.S. Because that's when everyone is out driving around enjoying the nice weather. That equals more demand which equals higher prices. It's simple economics not gouging. In the winter people tend to stay at home more, which equals less demand for gas which means the price goes down.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
People who whine about gas prices being too high here should
try buying it in Eurostan. It's a lot worse there.

I just did a calculation and found out that Aussies (especially in regional areas) are paying almost $6 a gallon for premium fuel......what are those yanks complaining about??? :eek:

I remember when I could fill my Morris Mini up for $2.00
Now I'm giving away my age.....:oops:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I just did a calculation and found out that Aussies (especially in regional areas) are paying almost $6 a gallon for premium fuel......what are those yanks complaining about??? :eek:

I remember when I could fill my Morris Mini up for $2.00
Now I'm giving away my age.....:oops:
We like to complain here.
Whatever we have, it's just not good enuf.