• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gas or Electric Vehicles?

Are electric vehicles better for the environment?

• Yes

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Undecided (state the reason why below)

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
An electric engine and transmission can do the same job as a gas engine or better, and the limitation is the power that is available.

Electric motors also don't require cylinders to operate or a camshaft. They require less surface contact between moving parts and probably require a lot less motor oil and may not need a transmission depending upon their circuitry and motor design.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
They require less surface contact between moving parts and probably require a lot less motor oil and may not need a transmission depending upon their circuitry and motor design.

In addition, they don't require oil changes. What breaks down oil, to my understanding, is the combustion process. Since there is no combustion in electric motors, there is no breakdown of the oil.

leov

Disposal of materials from gas-powered cars already creates significant problems. How does this factor into your thinking?
There were found a lot of good methods of sequestering of vehicle gas exhausts, I, think it is not a very big problem any longer. May be lesser than physical disposal of used batteries but I keep my mind open.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
An electric engine and transmission can do the same job as a gas engine or better, and the limitation is the power that is available.

Electric motors also don't require cylinders to operate or a camshaft. They require less surface contact between moving parts and probably require a lot less motor oil and may not need a transmission depending upon their circuitry and motor design.
A chance to annoy!
The problem isn't "power" (ie, energy divided by time).
It's energy. The batteries just don't hold enuf (yet).

Note:
Even in the 23rd century, phasers will still have liquid fuel.
Ref: STTNG S1E16

I challenge anyone to out nerd me!

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
A chance to annoy!
The problem isn't "power" (ie, energy divided by time).
It's energy. The batteries just don't hold enuf (yet).

Note:
Even in the 23rd century, phasers will still have liquid fuel.
Ref: STTNG S1E16
Startrek Enterprise episode I shows that the phasers have to be overloaded with energy stored throught the body of the craft: aka batteries.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Startrek Enterprise episode I shows that the phasers have to be overloaded with energy stored throught the body of the craft: aka batteries.
But watch The Galileo Seven (STTNG), wherein Scotty
drains liquid fuel from a phaser to power the shuttle.
This is real Star Trek...not some Enterprise come lately!

exchemist

Veteran Member
Cost of production per gallon for the most energy dense fuel that has the least impact on the environment.

What fuel wins this, taking into account things like mining and drilling, hazardous waste disposal and so on?
Per gallon would not be the right measure, since things like electricity don't come in gallons. Likewise energy density is not the right measure, since that ignores the efficiency of converting Joules of fuel into distance travelled (Electric motors are far more efficient than a heat engine.)

The only real measure would be cost per km or mile of travel, or better, per passenger km or mile.
And even then the answer depends on the costs of gasoline or diesel compared to electricity, wherever you are. This varies widely from country to country.

But you can do the calculation yourself, for your own costs for fuel and electricity, using this graph from the Idaho National Laboratory:
https://avt.inl.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/fsev/costs.pdf

Hydrogen I don't know. I am no longer in touch with the people at Shell who might be able to help with that.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's easily ignited cuz it has a wide flammability range.
That's useful in running fragile old engines.
Nowadays we add a little propane to slow down the speed of the
flame front, thereby reducing shock loading, which is a problem
even though leaned out hydrogen produces little power.

Makes a big bang though, well more of a big pop

You are perhaps right about the power, very small atom with only one election, must be very low on power, ask any sun...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Makes a big bang though, well more of a big pop

You are perhaps right about the power, very small atom with only one election, must be very low on power, ask any sun...
Suns don't do the combustion thingie though.
Of course you know that.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
There were found a lot of good methods of sequestering of vehicle gas exhausts, I, think it is not a very big problem any longer. May be lesser than physical disposal of used batteries but I keep my mind open.
It's not a big problem any longer? o_O

Give me an example of an automotive junkyard where the soil isn't contaminated from engine oil, antifreeze, transmission fluid, etc. Just a single one. Anywhere in the world.

julianalexander745

My understanding is that gas vehicles make it easier for people to get where they're going more effectively.

If people can get to where they need to be quicker and more effectively then they can be better poised to address such issues as climate change and deforestation.

So gas is better for the environment in the long run.

leov

It's not a big problem any longer? o_O

Give me an example of an automotive junkyard where the soil isn't contaminated from engine oil, antifreeze, transmission fluid, etc. Just a single one. Anywhere in the world.
This known problem VS unknown. Something I learned through MTBE controversy - Wikipedia I lived through. My little son (and many other children of people I knew in California) had very acute asthma. Untreatable. But it disappeared the minute we stepped out plane in another state.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Miles are countable, and its much like the "fewer vs less" thingy.
When constructed as....."drive as much as..."
driving is about distance which is continuous, so much works.
It only becomes countable later when the measure is introduced.

Shad

Veteran Member
In addition, they don't require oil changes. What breaks down oil, to my understanding, is the combustion process. Since there is no combustion in electric motors, there is no breakdown of the oil.

Electric still uses lubricants which are changed. The difference is the lubricant typically does not come out dirty nor needs to be changed as often as contaminants are not introduced by normal operation which happens with oil via combustion. The lubricant can often be reused easily without processing to remove contaminants like oil requires.

Keep in mind both engines can and have used synthetics. Oil is just cheap which is useful when the product is not reused.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Electric still uses lubricants which are changed. The difference is the lubricant typically does not come out dirty nor needs to be changed as often as contaminants are not introduced by normal operation which happens with oil via combustion. The lubricant can often be reused easily without processing to remove contaminants like oil requires.

Keep in mind both engines can and have used synthetics. Oil is just cheap which is useful when the product is not reused.
Funny you should mention that....
I plan to going to make a reservoir which filters incoming oil for re-use.
It's for the typical non-recirculated oil on early engines. It's barely used,
but should be filtered cuz why not.