• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Garner Incident-if you can say "I can't breathe," guess what you can breathe

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Brandishing is illegal.

In open carry you an legally carry a gun openly. Brandishing is a felony.

If you see an open carry brandishing, waving their gun in a threatening manner, call the police. If it does happen, it happens very rarely.

Black men can open carry too.
Yes, I'm aware that it's illegal. And yet, when a slew of panicked parents DID call 911, the police said their hands were tied because of open carry.

And black men may legally permitted to open carry, but saying that they CAN when discussing a 12 year old black boy being gunned down without warning for having a TOY gun in an open carry state is doen't even rise to disengenuity.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Hmmm. Mestemia called me a poverty pimp, meaning that not only do I not REALLY care about these killings, but I want them to continue because I am personally enriched by them, and that gets no reaction from you.

DS states someone's actual views for context, and that's over the line?

Thank goodness I'm not the only one who gets Tone Policed around here. Well, except when I'm attacked, and I call it out, and crickets are heard about the folks gaslighting the **** out of me. Suddenly their posts are just "meh, no big deal. Don't let them get to you."

But once I flare up a bit, it's "stop being so rude, little missy!"

BTW, it's funny when race is never a primary factor in anything except when whites are targeted. Then all of a sudden, when it is, minorities are called out (again) for not being angry enough.

But when blacks are targeted, it's never about race. Or at least it's never enough of a factor to contemplate.

Why else would #blacklivesmatter be considered racist because it doesn't include whites? It's because the system ALREADY protects white lives much more than black lives.

It's synonymous with the contention that feminists don't care about male victims of rape, or just men in general, because feminists focus on issues that hurt women at a much higher rate than men. That feminists are the real sexists. And that they don't like women who care about ourselves THAT MUCH.

So people of color are told that race is a factor only when white people think it's a factor too. Otherwise, they should just shut up and simply obey the law.

I totally stand by your posts in this thread. You're doing great. :)

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
The problem is that the people he was pointing the gun at didn't know it wasn't a real gun.
I'm pretty sure the problem is that the cops didn't bother to find out, or even tell him to put it down, before gunning him down.

freethinker44

The problem is that the people he was pointing the gun at didn't know it wasn't a real gun.
You mean the 911 caller who said the gun was probably fake? It sure wasn't the cops because he didn't point it at them. It was just an incompetent cop over reacting to a kid playing in a park, that's what the problem is.

CMike

Yes, I'm aware that it's illegal. And yet, when a slew of panicked parents DID call 911, the police said their hands were tied because of open carry.

And black men may legally permitted to open carry, but saying that they CAN when discussing a 12 year old black boy being gunned down without warning for having a TOY gun in an open carry state is doen't even rise to disengenuity.

Okay please try to listen.

You can open carry in open states. You may not brandish your firearm.

Brandishing means showing the gun in a threatening manner.

So if someone is carrying their firearm in a holster, even though the gun can be seen that's not brandishing.

If someone is carrying a rifle on his shoulder, that's not brandishing.

If someone is waving a gun in a threatening manner that is brandishing and is considered a felony.

Also waving your gun in a threatening manner may get you shot by someone else with a gun.

Open carry and brandishing are two different matters.

The person had a toy gun and was aiming it at people Since no one including the police knew it was a toy gun, the intention of the police is stop an imminent threat to the public.

It had nothing to do with race.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Thank goodness I'm not the only one who gets Tone Policed around here.
Sometimes it's left up to me to keep this kindergarten from exploding. But remember that I've no authority whatsoever. I only opine when I feel called.

"Tone police"....just call me "TP". (Btw, my policing has no chokeholds...totally violence free.)
Well, except when I'm attacked, and I call it out, and crickets are heard about the folks gaslighting the **** out of me. Suddenly their posts are just "meh, no big deal. Don't let them get to you."
Sigh...everyone feels singled out when I offer constructive criticism. I remind that I am just one of the little folk here, & haven't the obligation or ability to balance the feelings of everyone here.
But once I flare up a bit, it's "stop being so rude, little missy!"
I haven't used the term "little missy" towards you....yet. But don't blame me now that you've planted that seed.
On second thought, let me treat this more seriously. I might infer that you believe you're a victim of sexism, ie, my keeping "uppity" (your term) women down. If so, this is not the case. As I said before, I'm pro-uppity.
BTW, it's funny when race is never a primary factor in anything except when whites are targeted. Then all of a sudden, when it is, minorities are called out (again) for not being angry enough.
Is that faux straw I smell?
But when blacks are targeted, it's never about race. Or at least it's never enough of a factor to contemplate.
Never? Are we reading the same posts?
Why else would #blacklivesmatter be considered racist because it doesn't include whites? It's because the system ALREADY protects white lives much more than black lives.
It's synonymous with the contention that feminists don't care about male victims of rape, or just men in general, because feminists focus on issues that hurt women at a much higher rate than men. That feminists are the real sexists. And that they don't like women who care about ourselves THAT MUCH.
So people of color are told that race is a factor only when white people think it's a factor too. Otherwise, they should just shut up and simply obey the law.
There's that smell of straw again...& not the real kind....the manufactured imitation kind.

Last edited:

freethinker44

You can open carry in open states. You may not brandish your firearm.

Brandishing means showing the gun in a threatening manner.

So if someone is carrying their firearm in a holster, even though the gun can be seen that's not brandishing.

If someone is carrying a rifle on his shoulder, that's not brandishing.

If someone is waving a gun in a threatening manner that is brandishing and is considered a felony.

Also waving your gun in a threatening manner may get you shot by someone else with a gun.

Open carry and brandishing are two different matters.

The person had a toy gun and was aiming it at people Since no one including the police knew it was a toy gun, the intention of the police is stop an imminent threat to the public.

It had nothing to do with race.
Brandishing an airsoft gun isn't illegal. A kid who had committed no crime was shot on sight by incompetent police.

I do agree that it isn't about race though. At least the larger issue isn't about race. The bigger issue is police lack of accountability, militarization, etc... Racism is alive and well within police culture for sure, and definitely compounds the militarization and lack of accountability issues, but I don't think the problem is that they're killing black people and getting away with it, I think the problem is that they're killing people and getting away with it. Even if we were able to completely remove racism as a factor we would still have police killing black people indiscriminately, they would just be doing it at the same rates that they kill other groups of people.

I've said from the beginning it's not about race, and of course that makes me a racist, but whatever...

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Sometimes it's left up to me to keep this kindergarten from exploding. But remember that I've no authority whatsoever. I only opine when I feel called.

"Tone police"....just call me "TP".

Sigh...everyone feels singled out when I offer constructive criticism. I remind that I am just one of the little folk here, & haven't the obligation or ability to balance the feelings of everyone here.

I haven't used the term "little missy" towards you....yet. But don't blame me now that you've planted that seed.

Is that faux straw I smell?

Never? Are we reading the same posts?

There's that smell of straw again...& not the real kind....the manufactured imitation kind.

How about you answer Storms assertions first, since she is seeing a lot of the same things as I do?

And stop gaslighting me. I see what I see. Just as much as you opine. It's just a pattern that has been brought up time and again.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Take your own advice.

With everything you said firmly in mind:

A white "open carry activist" brrandishing a REAL, LOADED gun at a playground spurred a flood of panicked parents calling 911. The police let him go, withthe excuse thatit's an open carry state, despite the fact that he was brandishing the gun at children. You see the same reaction when these idiots take their loaded AKs and whatever else makes them feel powerful and brave to shopping malls, coffee shops, and parades.

And yet, when a 12 year old black boy played with a TOY gun in a park, he was shot dead without so much as a warning.

It's not the laws, it's that the cops know damned well that the law doesn't matter if they killp black people.

It's about race.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Brandishing an airsoft gun isn't illegal. A kid who had committed no crime was shot on sight by incompetent police.

I do agree that it isn't about race though. At least the larger issue isn't about race. The bigger issue is police lack of accountability, militarization, etc... Racism is alive and well within police culture for sure, and definitely compounds the militarization and lack of accountability issues, but I don't think the problem is that they're killing black people and getting away with it, I think the problem is that they're killing people and getting away with it. Even if we were able to completely remove racism as a factor we would still have police killing black people indiscriminately, they would just be doing it at the same rates that they kill other groups of people.

I've said from the beginning it's not about race, and of course that makes me a racist, but whatever...
I don't think that makes you a racist, no. I think it means you're rather foolishly ignoring the canary in the coal mine, a mistake that racists are quick to exploit.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Last edited:

freethinker44

I don't think that makes you a racist, no. I think it means you're rather foolishly ignoring the canary in the coal mine, a mistake that racists are quick to exploit.
Racism is just the tip of the ice berg. Saying it's a race issue isn't addressing the bigger problem below the surface.

Here's an analogy that may help. It's like if a serial killer were going around killing people of all races but killing blacks twice as much as any other race and the "race issue" people are saying it's wrong that he is killing black people more and I'm saying it's wrong that he's killing people at all.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Racism is just the tip of the ice berg. Saying it's a race issue isn't addressing the bigger problem below the surface.

Here's an analogy that may help. It's like if a serial killer were going around killing people of all races but killing blacks twice as much as any other race and the "race issue" people are saying it's wrong that he is killing black people more and I'm saying it's wrong that he's killing people at all.
????

I'm really not sure how this is supposed to respond to the point that the racial element is the canary in the coal mine.

freethinker44

????

I'm really not sure how this is supposed to respond to the point that the racial element is the canary in the coal mine.
Trying not to get too involved with analogies, but basically, you are saying the problem is that canaries are dying and I'm saying the problem is the deadly gas.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Being a cop showed me just how racist and violent the police are. There’s only one fix. - The Washington Post

Demonizing The Victims Of Police Violence

It's all a circus act. Demonizing the cops' prey of choice pacifies the masses into thinking it couldn't happen to them, even though we know it does. Thecognitive dissonanace is still more comfortable than the admission that our officers of the law are a bunch of violent thugs above the law, who can kill pretty much anyone they want and get a vacation for it.

But there's more to racism (or any other form of systemic oppression) than virulent, hateful people who want genocide. It permeates our culture, influencing how we react to such "isolated incidents." The demonization of black men killed by police wouldn't work without that insidious programming. Joining in is complicity. Silence is assent.

And it endangers us all.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Trying not to get too involved with analogies, but basically, you are saying the problem is that canaries are dying and I'm saying the problem is the deadly gas.
No, really, really not. I'm saying that people are ignoring the deadly gas because a whole lot of people don't value the lives of black men any more than those of canaries. I'm saying that's stupid and evil, so stop it.

I love how your whole argument is based on the assumption that I don't know the actual meaning of the phrase I selected. That's just funny.

freethinker44

No, really, really not. I'm saying that people are ignoring the deadly gas because a whole lot of people don't value the lives of black men any more than those of canaries. I'm saying that's stupid and evil, so stop it.

I love how your whole argument is based on the assumption that I don't know the actual meaning of the phrase I selected. That's just funny.
Right, but getting people to value black lives as much as white lives isn't going to stop innocent black people from being killed by police, because racism isn't the underlying problem. The problem is that police are killing innocent, and even non-innocent but unarmed people of any race. Racism isn't the problem, racism compounds the problem.