• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Garner Incident-if you can say "I can't breathe," guess what you can breathe

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Racism is not two spheres of white people vs black people. It's one sphere of systemic dehumanization against people of color. It's why blacks can be racist toward each other. And it's why white people can be victimized if they fit the partial description of the profile of a common criminal.

I do need to dig up a good source, but I've read that unarmed black men are 21 times more likely to be killed by law enforcement than white men with both suspects committing the same crimes. So I'll introduce that point for refutation or as a plea to find the corroborating source.

Race is a big part if the problem of the disparate justice. It isn't the only part, since I think socio-economic classes, gender, and age plays some factors as well in regards to who fits the description of the common criminal.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Racism is not two spheres of white people vs black people. It's one sphere of systemic dehumanization against people of color. It's why blacks can be racist toward each other. And it's why white people can be victimized if they fit the partial description of the profile of a common criminal.

I do need to dig up a good source, but I've read that unarmed black men are 21 times more likely to be killed by law enforcement than white men with both suspects committing the same crimes. So I'll introduce that point for refutation or as a plea to find the corroborating source.

Race is a big part if the problem of the disparate justice. It isn't the only part, since I think socio-economic classes, gender, and age plays some factors as well in regards to who fits the description of the common criminal.
No fundamental disagreement here....except that I see more spheres.

Where does the supervision by a black police sergeant fit into this sphere of systemic racism?
Black Female Sergeant Watched Eric Garner Die
Why is there no public outcry over her supervision of this killing? Am I the only one advocating prosecution of all cops (both black & white) involved in this unjust killing of an innocent guy?

Last edited:

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
The thread was about race. The topic of the thread is about an issue that is all about race. Sticking your fingers in your ears and shrieking LALALALALALALALALICANTHEARYOU doesn't make it not about race. Your grotesque, desperate, unfounded, and totally reported attack on my character and motives can't make it not about race.
Your inability to have a civil discussion on the topic is demonstrated fact.
Your denial of said fact merely fuels your emotional rants on the topic.

It's about race. It always has been. And you know it. Although we all know that racists are desperate to insist that it's just an unending barrage of upsettingly similar "isolated incidents," to paraphrase Jon Stewart.
The thread was about the claim that talking means you can breathe.

You turned it into a race whine fest.

He never did, either. Didn't stop you, did it?
Actually he did claim that Ohio being an open carry state that people are allowed to wave their guns around pointing them at people.
I flat out asked him to provide a source where Ohio laws allows anyone, let alone a 12 year old, to do so.

It was completely ignored.

But you're the one trying to justify his murder, so why don't you put up or shut up?
Bold faced lie.
In your emotionally unstable state of mind you are assigning positions to others based on your wanting to continue to rant.

Cite a law allowing cops to shoot gun children down without warning for playing with toys in a park.
I never made any such claim.
This is your strawman.

Have you noticed that nobody's buying your ****?
You took a thread about the claim that talking means you can breathe and turned it into a race whining thread.

Then you go on an emotional whine fest rant attacking your strawmen.
You really whooped the stramans ***.
Congratulations.

Are you able to get your emotions under control enough to continue with the thread topic or are you content derailing this thread with your emotional whine fest rants?

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
When you make up the claim, yes. Funny you understood that just fine when it got turned back on you.

I do agree that you're trying, though. In fact, your desperation is quite transparent.
Perhaps if you were able to put your emotional rant mindset aside you would be able to read threads for comprehension?

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
"Bald" referred to the lack of facial hair concealing expressions.
I presumed you were well coiffed under that hoodie.
In the same way that a typesetter uses bold face type to highlight specific text and set it apart, a bold face lie stands out in such a way as to not be mistaken for the truth

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
These are my thoughts after watching the video.

Garner resisted arrest. If you resist arrest you aren't going to be treated gently.

The headlock/chockehold or whatever it was didn't stop Garner from breathing.

How do we know this? Because during the hold Garner kept saying "I can't breathe, I can't breathe".

Well, guess what? If you can say repeatedly "I can't breathe", you can breathe.

He died mainly because of his health conditions; asthma, heart issues, etc.

I think the moral of the story is that if you have health problems, don't resist arrest.

Let the flames begin.

So, you honestly believe that NYPD officers need not follow the law and NYPD guidelines? Deadly force is not to be used under American law if the suspect offers no serious threat others, and with seven officers there dealing with one unarmed man, that threat clearly was not present.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
These are my thoughts after watching the video.

Garner resisted arrest. If you resist arrest you aren't going to be treated gently.

The headlock/chockehold or whatever it was didn't stop Garner from breathing.

How do we know this? Because during the hold Garner kept saying "I can't breathe, I can't breathe".

Well, guess what? If you can say repeatedly "I can't breathe", you can breathe.
Maybe he would've had the presence of mind to be more accurate if he wasn't being attacked.

He died mainly because of his health conditions; asthma, heart issues, etc.

I think the moral of the story is that if you have health problems, don't resist arrest.
I just saw an article about this sort of attitude:

"Comply or Die" policing must stop

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
So, a supporter of the disgracefully racist Golda Meir and the distinguishably fascist worldview espoused by the fundamentalist followers of the most extreme strains of Orthodox Judaism is dismissing a clear-cut case of police brutality as a mere fault of the victim.

How surprising.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So, a supporter of the disgracefully racist Golda Meir and the distinguishably fascist worldview espoused by the fundamentalist followers of the most extreme strains of Orthodox Judaism is dismissing a clear-cut case of police brutality as a mere fault of the victim.
How surprising.
That's overly personal. This thread isn't about zionist thuggery, which will surely muddy the waters.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
That's overly personal. This thread isn't about zionist thuggery, which will surely muddy the waters.

I don't think it's personal as much as it puts things in perspective. I'm not going to go into a debate about tones and wording instead of discussing the actual issues again, though, so this is as far as I'm willing to pursue this (side) topic here.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't think it's as personal as much as it puts things in perspective.
I can't find & quote the rules anymore in this new format, but such a personal attack sure seems to cross the line. I don't like the orig post either, but it can be addressed directly without making it about the poster & his religious leanings.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I can't find & quote the rules anymore in this new format, but such a personal attack sure seems to cross the line. I don't like the orig post either, but it can be addressed directly without making it about the poster & his religious leanings.

If you feel that any post crosses the line into violating the rules, whether that post is mine or anyone else's, feel free to report it. I'm well aware of the rules and what their text states, so quoting them for me wouldn't really change much.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I prefer a more transparent process most of the time.

Hey, why can't I find the bulk of the rules anymore? Is it my own incompetence, or is the new venue just not fully up & running?

They are listed in a different thread than the one they were in under the old software:

RF Rules | ReligiousForums.com

Don't worry about it being your "incompetence"; it even took an e-omniscient admin like me some time to find them. :p