• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Garner Incident-if you can say "I can't breathe," guess what you can breathe

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
One wonders if you are ever going to present the Ohio code that allows 12 year olds to not only carry firearms, but allows them to wave them around in public threatening to shoot others.

or are you simply hoping I forgot about asking you for that source?
Can you present any law or code at all that empowers officers to shoot to kill a 12 year old without even attempting an arrest?

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Oh, I looked it up. Poverty pimp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now, that is a personal attack. Tell me, Mesty, what sort of benefits am I receiving for not meekly agreeing that it's totally cool for police to kill black males at whim?
Yikes. I didn't know what it meant either and I was afraid to look it up because it basically means what I thought it would mean. I'm disappointed in Mestemia. He isn't usually that cruel. You don't deserve that.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Yeah. I totally secretly want black men to keep dying because I somehow pay my bills with their corpses, I suppose.

Because it's easier to say that than admit there's a pattern. But, wait - if there's not a pattern, then how am I making a buck? How exactly do I profit from something that doesn't actually happen?

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Yeah. I totally secretly want black men to keep dying because I somehow pay my bills with their corpses, I suppose.

Because it's easier to say that than admit there's a pattern. But, wait - if there's not a pattern, then how am I making a buck? How exactly do I profit from something that doesn't actually happen?
Yeah, I don't get it but we all know you're nothing like a poverty pimp. What an insulting term.

I'm holding back saying much more at this point. I still want to hear CMike's motive for this thread. I don't want to assume too much.

It's rather like him to start a fire like this, pour lighter fluid on the flames and then go home. I generally don't sit around the campfire and contribute because of this fact. Guess I'm a sucker sometimes.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Did the medical examiner say that you can talk while not breathing?

If so, please quote the ME saying that?
When your struggling it's not uncommon for the chokehold to loosen just enough to utter that you can't breathe before the pressure is reapplied. You cannot be that dense, so as not to see that.

freethinker44

One wonders if you are ever going to present the Ohio code that allows 12 year olds to not only carry firearms, but allows them to wave them around in public threatening to shoot others.

or are you simply hoping I forgot about asking you for that source?
I didn't forget, I just don't answer loaded questions. We're not talking about 12 year olds carrying firearms, we are talking about 12 years olds carrying airsoft guns, which, in Ohio, there are no laws prohibiting the possession or use of.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I didn't forget, I just don't answer loaded questions. We're not talking about 12 year olds carrying firearms, we are talking about 12 years olds carrying airsoft guns, which, in Ohio, there are no laws prohibiting the possession or use of.
So you knew it was a load of **** when you posted it...?

Interesting.

freethinker44

Interesting.
Oh come on, you're not even trying now. That doesn't even make any sense. I know it's tough to rationalize a 12 year old boy doing nothing illegal and being shot on site by incompetent police, but you have to at least try. It's the weekend, I need some entertainment, at least try not to make it so easy for me.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
That was deep.

It was not meant to be deep, but rather clear, direct and effective.

But sure, let's elaborate this a bit.

First, I would like to point out that it is extremely tricky to a make succesfull claim that a dying man that has clearly been rendered physically helpless (we have the footage and I have seen it) has somehow chosen to lie about how and why he is dying - while being on camera, no less. You invite satire and scorn by saying, in effect, that the victim's choice of procedure for complaint was flawed.

Second, I fail to see how defense of surrender to the power of authority for its own sake can be anything but fascistic thought.

Third, I have learned that it is a mistake to encourage perceptions of depth to matters that lack that depth.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Oh come on, you're not even trying now. That doesn't even make any sense. I know it's tough to rationalize a 12 year old boy doing nothing illegal and being shot on site by incompetent police, but you have to at least try. It's the weekend, I need some entertainment, at least try not to make it so easy for me.
Asking for a source is now considered a "loaded question"?
And you claim *I* am not trying?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
This thread was not about race.
At least, it wasn't until you unleashed your race based attack on CMike.
The thread was about race. The topic of the thread is about an issue that is all about race. Sticking your fingers in your ears and shrieking LALALALALALALALALICANTHEARYOU doesn't make it not about race. Your grotesque, desperate, unfounded, and totally reported attack on my character and motives can't make it not about race.

It's about race. It always has been. And you know it. Although we all know that racists are desperate to insist that it's just an unending barrage of upsettingly similar "isolated incidents," to paraphrase Jon Stewart.

I never made any such claim.
Care to try again?
He never did, either. Didn't stop you, did it? But you're the one trying to justify his murder, so why don't you put up or shut up? Cite a law allowing cops to shoot gun children down without warning for playing with toys in a park.

Try again for comprehension.
That is, if you can set your emotional rantfest aside long enough.
Have you noticed that nobody's buying your ****?

Interesting.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Asking for a source is now considered a "loaded question"?
And you claim *I* am not trying?
When you make up the claim, yes. Funny you understood that just fine when it got turned back on you.

I do agree that you're trying, though. In fact, your desperation is quite transparent.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I don't think it's quite that simple. But I will absolutely claim that CMike is trying to contradict the official cause of death while saying it was his own fault because he was black.

Why would you claim that?

I must be missing something, cause best I can see, YOU are the one that turned this thread into a racism bickering match.

I am opposed to what happened as much as the next guy, but to blame it on racism is an oversimplification of what happened.
Black males are indeed more likely to be arrested, and racism probably does play a role on this.
However, this could have happened with anyone else. Erase racism from the face of Earth and this still could have happened.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I am opposed to what happened as much as the next guy, but to blame it on racism is an oversimplification of what happened.
Black males are indeed more likely to be arrested, and racism probably does play a role on this.
However, this could have happened with anyone else. Erase racism from the face of Earth and this still could have happened.
Yes, it could happen to anyone. It does happen to plenty of people who aren't black. But it happens to black males regularly, frequently, habitually. And it's the black males who are instantly demonized. The news is all too happy to "ask" what they did wrong. Racists pour out of the woodwork to explain why they had it coming. You can't even keep track. People called 911? There's a video making the rounds right now of a cop apologizing for having to stop a black man because people called 911 to report that he had his hands in his pockets on a bitterly cold day. Oh, but it had nothing to do with race. Since Darren Wilson's mockery of an inquests, Garner's killers walked without charges, so did the uniformed killers of a random man at a random WalMart, also unarmed and breaking no law, and so did the killers of a sleeping 7 year old girl, all black. All killed by white cops. All denied even lip service to justice. All in 2 weeks. As far as I know, the sleeping 7 year old girl is the only one who hasn't been dragged through the mud.

You can't say that's not a pattern. Not honestly. Not when it happens every time. Not when there are so many that you never hear of half of them.

It's obscene, it's absolutely about race, and I will not let it go unchallenged. I don't care who doesn't want to admit it. I will NOT be complicit in this.

Now watch, Mestemia's going to be delighted that I actually did get emotional. Sorry, but anyone who's not angry, and hurt, and completely ****ing terrified by one killer cop after another literally getting away with murder is a damned stupid sociopath.

Because you're right - it can happen to anyone. It does happen to anyone. People call for an ambulance and get an execution from cops tagging along. So maybe we can show a shred of human decency to their favorite targets, huh?

For God's sake, they're saying a 12 year old had it coming because he was playing with a TOY.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have an explanation for why there's a perceived pattern in RF threads that killing unarmed black men is justified. It's multi-fold:
- Unarmed white guys being killed by cops doesn't generate the same controversy. It happens, but there are no big protests, no riots, scant news coverage, & no publicity hounds like Al or Jesse flocking to revel in the power of inflammation. It's the "spotlight fallacy".
- Sometimes the evidence actually does point to justification for deadly force being used against an aggressor....who will occasionally be a black male.
- Sometimes posters are defending a law & order policy which isn't about race, but will involve black males.
- Controversial issues attract hotheads launching insults & abuse. This causes polarization, with the taking of sides...an us v them atmosphere. One's foe is reduced to the worst stereotype as we cease being individuals with nuanced views.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Race seems to induce vision problems. If Garner were killed because he's black, then this raises a question...why was a black police sergeant was reportedly involved? I notice that no major news outlet (that I've yet found) mentions this, but it shows up in second tier sources. It strikes me that either major media like presenting simple pictures which whip up hysteria, or that there's a reluctance to treat black folk as anything other than victims or entertainers/sports stars. That they might be part of the very power structure they decry....is this off limits?

If weren't about race, then it appears that Garner's killing would go largely unnoticed. Are most people unconcerned with police militarization, increasing micro-regulation of our lives which creates a plethora of 'crimes' where there would otherwise be no wrongful act? If so, it would explain why there's no coverage of Obama's involvement in the militarization of police departments (gifting of military equipment). Question: Would we tolerate the growth of the police state if someone like McCain had won office? I suspect that just as we saw war protests ebb when Obama won, we see reluctance to criticize him for increasing domestic surveillance, continued foreign adventurism, increasing opacity in government, & persecution of whistle blowers. Racial politics obscures & overwhelms the larger issues.

Last edited: