• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ganesha well met

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
My wife and I spent a good part of yesterday at the Chicago Art Institute where I found myself suddenly intrigued by its God Ganesha, Remover of Obstacles.

101693_2069114.jpg

Turning to Wikipedia I read:

Although he is known by many attributes, Ganesha's elephant head makes him easy to identify.[8]Ganesha is widely revered as the remover of obstacles,[9] the patron of arts and sciences and the deva of intellect and wisdom.[10] As the god of beginnings, he is honoured at the start of rites and ceremonies. Ganesha is also invoked as patron of letters and learning during writing sessions.[11][2]Several texts relate mythological anecdotes associated with his birth and exploits and explain his distinct iconography. - source

It seems to me that any culture capable of such iconography is altogether remarkable.I clearly need to find the time to learn more about Hinduism.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'm glad you liked Him, and indeed, as a Hindu, I've found him, or He found me.

Unfortunately, there is often a sad and seedier side to these museum pieces. Never intended as 'art' they are in museums often because of looting of Hindu temples. Each individual case is handled differently, but suffice it to say it's a million dollar business.

(Not a problem unique to India by any means, but hits in many places, indigenous peoples here in America being a major victim.)

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/08/...ts-to-india-in-response-to-investigation.html

The good thing is that it has helped introduce the west to a marvelously mystical culture.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
My wife and I spent a good part of yesterday at the Chicago Art Institute where I found myself suddenly intrigued by its God Ganesha, Remover of Obstacles.

101693_2069114.jpg

Although he is known by many attributes, Ganesha's elephant head makes him easy to identify.[8]Ganesha is widely revered as the remover of obstacles,[9] the patron of arts and sciences and the deva of intellect and wisdom.[10] As the god of beginnings, he is honoured at the start of rites and ceremonies. Ganesha is also invoked as patron of letters and learning during writing sessions.[11][2]Several texts relate mythological anecdotes associated with his birth and exploits and explain his distinct iconography. - source

It seems to me that any culture capable of such iconography is altogether remarkable.I clearly need to find the time to learn more about Hinduism.

Check out these talks below. Several can be downloaded.
Lectures on Iconography

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

101693_2069114.jpg

India is a remarkable country with a long religious history. If you ever get a chance, visit the Ellora Caves for spectacular carvings.

Without necessarily accepting all the theological details, I also find the Hindu model of the universe with reincarnation and karma satisfying and the the cyclical nature of the yugas hopeful at the Kali yuga, the iron or dark age giving way to the Sat yuga, or golden age.

If you do visit, there are fun discoveries you might make as I did. For example:

2012-11-18 08.44.38.jpg

and mind the warning signs:
2012-11-11 12.48.03.jpg

More seriously, I find learning about religions and cultures to be helpful to me in being more open and tolerant and understanding of other perspectives.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Without necessarily accepting all the theological details, I also find the Hindu model of the universe with reincarnation and karma satisfying and the the cyclical nature of the yugas hopeful at the Kali yuga, the iron or dark age giving way to the Sat yuga, or golden age.
I have a mild preference for Greek yuga, substituting it for milk on my cereal and for sour cream on my blintzes.*

More seriously, I find learning about religions and cultures to be helpful to me in being more open and tolerant and understanding of other perspectives.
Indeed, learning about other perspectives helps in understanding other perspectives.