• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ganesha helps

Maya3

Last week we stayed in a family house in Florida.
We were told to take the key that was hidden on top of an outlet, open the door and then put the key back. There was no need to lock the door during the week we were there, so as not to loose their key we would just leave it where it was in the first place.

So yesterday morning we get up at 4.15 to go to the airport. We close up the house and reach for the key on top of the outlet. Key is NOT there! Not there! We were stumped, we had not used the key all week, left it on the outlet all week, not touched it at all. It was GONE.
We panicked got our flashlights crawled around on our hands and knees looking for it, thinking that maybe it had fallen down when we door slammed, however unlikely.
The entrance to the house that we used is a side door in a boat garage, full of bikes, vespa's, jet skies and other old stuff. We looked everywhere, it was not there. Gone. It was like being in the twilight zone.

We were about to give up, ready to call a locksmith, miss our plane and apologize to the house owners.
But I decided to try one more time. I stopped took a deep breath and prayed to Ganesha to please help us find the key.

And voila! I look to the right, and underneath the tire of their parked boat I see something that looked like a small pebble stick out, it was the key!

Maya

Shantanu

Last week we stayed in a family house in Florida.
We were told to take the key that was hidden on top of an outlet, open the door and then put the key back. There was no need to lock the door during the week we were there, so as not to loose their key we would just leave it where it was in the first place.

So yesterday morning we get up at 4.15 to go to the airport. We close up the house and reach for the key on top of the outlet. Key is NOT there! Not there! We were stumped, we had not used the key all week, left it on the outlet all week, not touched it at all. It was GONE.
We panicked got our flashlights crawled around on our hands and knees looking for it, thinking that maybe it had fallen down when we door slammed, however unlikely.
The entrance to the house that we used is a side door in a boat garage, full of bikes, vespa's, jet skies and other old stuff. We looked everywhere, it was not there. Gone. It was like being in the twilight zone.

We were about to give up, ready to call a locksmith, miss our plane and apologize to the house owners.
But I decided to try one more time. I stopped took a deep breath and prayed to Ganesha to please help us find the key.

And voila! I look to the right, and underneath the tire of their parked boat I see something that looked like a small pebble stick out, it was the key!

Maya
Ganesha must be a really divine-hearted god to have listened to your prayers made in sheer desperation. Do you regard Ganesha as just a god who removes obstacles or the Supreme God or a representative of the Supreme God?

Shantanu

Maya, it's even a neater story when you consider that Ganesha sits on the muladhara chakra, the doorway to dharma, so He is holding the key to the doorway to a life of dharma.

It says here (Muladhara - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia): Muladhara is the base from which the three main psychic channels or nadis emerge: the Ida, Pingala and Sushumna.[4] It is also believed that Muladhara is a subtle abode of the Hindu God, Ganapati. And in the highest revered prayer for Ganapati, the Ganapati Atharvashirsha, it is mentioned that "one who worships Lord Ganapati would easily grasp the concept and realise Brahman".

I could not find any mention of the idea of dharma, perhaps you can give the reference material for me to consult?

Last edited:

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Namaste

Actually finding a key by way of "a little help from a friend" (Ganesha) is actually very Ganeshic. Meaning, I have heard stories from others as well regarding an association of Ganesh to keys, and to finding keys. Very interesting, there seems to be a very real "electricity" between unlocking things, opening doors, bringing new "get out of jail" tickets and so on and Lord Ganesha!

Thanks for sharing this story.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
HLK brings up an interesting aspect...

Some might be interested to know, in South India the OM symbol written in Tamil script is often associated with Ganesh as it looks like Ganesh:

tamil_om.png

Maya3

Wow, thanks everyone, I didn't know that there were all these specific symbolisms about Ganesha and keys or that he held the key to dharma.

Now I feel really blessed in more ways than one.

Shantanu,
For me Ganesha is symbolism, something for me to concentrate on. However it worked we found the key and I'm very grateful.

Maya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Thank you, Shivafan, for more info on the connection. Also, in house and car blessing pujas the keys play a major role, as does Ganesha.

Stormcry

HLK brings up an interesting aspect...

Some might be interested to know, in South India the OM symbol written in Tamil script is often associated with Ganesh as it looks like Ganesh:

tamil_om.png
I'd like to know more about this symbol.
When was this god first mentioned in the shastras, that is what are its origins? - he seems to be a non Vedic god: Ganesha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
He's vedicc. In Hinduism, without him no any vedic worship/ritual is done. He's mentioned in Veda and Smruti.ॐ गणानां त्वा गणपतिं हवामहे कविं कवीनामुपमश्रवस्तमम् । ज्येष्ठराजं ब्रह्मणाम् ब्रह्मणस्पत आ नः शृण्वन्नूतिभिःसीदसादनम् ॥ ॐ महागणाधिपतये नमः Rig Veda 2.23.1

Last edited:

Shantanu

He's vedicc. In Hinduism, without him no any vedic worship/ritual is done. He's mentioned in Veda and Smruti. ॐ गणानां त्वा गणपतिं हवामहे कविं कवीनामुपमश्रवस्तमम् । ज्येष्ठराजं ब्रह्मणाम् ब्रह्मणस्पत आ नः शृण्वन्नूतिभिःसीदसादनम् ॥ ॐ महागणाधिपतये नमः Rig Veda 2.23.1.
In the reference I gave it states: 'Ganesha emerged as a distinct deity in the 4th and 5th centuries CE, during the Gupta Period, although he inherited traits from Vedic and pre-Vedic precursors.[11] He was formally included among the five primary deities of Smartism (a Hindu denomination) in the 9th century. A sect of devotees called the Ganapatya arose, who identified Ganesha as the supreme deity.[12] The principal scriptures dedicated to Ganesha are the Ganesha Purana, the Mudgala Purana, and the Ganapati Atharvashirsa.'

Ganesha was set up as a rival to Sri Krishna.

Last edited:

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
No one is a "rival". No one who is the Brahman, realized the Brahman, is a "rival". Krishna is not a rival. Ganesha is not a rival. Tomorrow the Brahman may manifest in a way not yet understood. There is no "past". Not for Brahman. Do not see Brahman in a small window of time when the listened revelation was written down. This does not minimalize the written. But the written had a past, present and future. We do not define it or make up our own. We just wait, or move into an experience of the Brahman.

Stormcry

Say No to Wikipedia which is entirely based on western so called scholors. As I always say Hinduism is not a subject of Any Tom and Harry. It should be interpreted by Arya Acharya, not non-aryan. I think I'd like to believe in scriptures and acharya like shankaracharya who praised Shri Ganesh as a god. I'd like to believe in Narada who constructed Ganapati Stotra in Narada Purana, I'd like to believe in Vyasa who constructed PuranAs on him. Ganesha isn't a vedic is a poison spread by Western world. Really we hindus don't take them seriously. Let them babble. They're good in their own way and agenda. No any sect be it Vaishnawa also challenged Bhagavan Ganesha as Vedic God. Look around the world, Wikipedia isn't everything.