• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gamez media and the relationship it has with gamers.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Okay, so as a consumer I have long sought out what the community rather than the critics say about certain forms of entertainment. Movies have sites like Rotten Tomatoes. Books have sites like Goodreads (though I prefer "booktube.") Games have YouTube.
But what it is it about gaming in particular that harbours such a distaste for the official critics that other mediums lack (though they have their own issues.) I know there's allegations galore of corruption and dirty money.
But why? What makes the games industry so seemingly different to other forms of entertainment? Simply the money?
And what reviewers do you trust or watch? If you do.

Flame

Beware
I feel like there's just a massive disconnect between gaming media and gamers themselves. Money probably has a lot to do with; Anthem's reviews comes to mind and what a trainwreck that was at the end. There's also a heavy political slant that I think turns readers away. Insulting and berating gamers over disliking certain games (Battlefield 5, Diablo Immortal).

What makes the games industry so seemingly different to other forms of entertainment? Simply the money?
I think gaming media is just a dying breed that's doing everything they can do stay afloat. It's a supersaturated form of niche media that needs to make clickbaity titles and content to get clicks and ad money.

Twitch and Metacritic is where I go. Twitch you can see it live and get an idea if you'll enjoy it; Metacritic you can see the massive differences in option of the media and the actual playerbase.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I feel like there's just a massive disconnect between gaming media and gamers themselves. Money probably has a lot to do with; Anthem's reviews comes to mind and what a trainwreck that was at the end. There's also a heavy political slant that I think turns readers away. Insulting and berating gamers over disliking certain games (Battlefield 5, Diablo Immortal).

I think gaming media is just a dying breed that's doing everything they can do stay afloat. It's a supersaturated form of niche media that needs to make clickbaity titles and content to get clicks and ad money.

Twitch and Metacritic is where I go. Twitch you can see it live and get an idea if you'll enjoy it; Metacritic you can see the massive differences in option of the media and the actual playerbase.
Fair assessment.
I still watch occasional drama on the Jimqusition, mostly because the guy is an unashamable assshat which may or not be an act, but it's slightly amusing. Mostly I watch SomeCallmejonny and his brit counterpart Caddiricus. Mostly out of nostalgia. I miss the glory days of AVGN and Spoony1.
Ahh how times have changed.