• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Game of Thrones

Ellen Brown

Just me I guess, considering its popularity, but GOT seems like a celebration of human depravity. I will admit I haven't seen it. You can't miss the promos if you watch TV at all. Each one I happen to see strengthens my conviction. I have started changing channels as soon as one appears.
Crowds at a public hanging?

I think the Actors and Actresses are very talented, and the technicians work very hard. The Author, the Directors and Producers are depraved. I am told that the early history of the UK was very violent and bloody, but I doubt that even that compares with GOT. It is an embarrassment to me that I watched even one season. My only excuse is that I hoped it would get better. When it didn't, I finally gave up.

ecco

Veteran Member
there's still a decent number of unapologetic portrayals of the horrors of war in there.

No different from real life.

I tend to doubt that the followers of GOT are repulsed by the horrors.

No more so than when contemplating real life horrors.

Plus, the walking dead pretty much sucks now so we need another series to gain our focus.
The are multitudes of running, fighting, walking dead in GOT, especially in the upcoming season which is pretty much about stopping an army of running, fighting, walking dead from taking over the entire world.

I am told that the early history of the UK was very violent and bloody, but I doubt that even that compares with GOT.
I doubt the victims of the inquisitions would agree with you. I doubt the victims of the witchhunts would agree with you. The difference is that in GOT we see it up close and personal.

ecco

Veteran Member
My biggest problem with GOT is that it is on HBO.

I have to wait until the season ends and then binge-watch from NetFlix. I just finished last season. Unfortunately, I will know the end long before I get to see it.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Just me I guess, considering its popularity, but GOT seems like a celebration of human depravity. I will admit I haven't seen it. You can't miss the promos if you watch TV at all. Each one I happen to see strengthens my conviction. I have started changing channels as soon as one appears.

I resisted watching it myself, although my brother kept crowing on and on about how it was "the greatest TV series ever made." So, I thought I'd give it a shot.

I'm still not sure what to make of it. Sure, it has a good deal of human depravity, although it's also an interesting study in human politics. It's good entertainment, good storytelling.

Almost nobody in this tale has any redeeming value at all; it's as if almost everyone is a villain in one way or another. It's kind of refreshing when you don't have such blatantly black-and-white heroes and villains. That may be part of the appeal.

Flankerl

Season 1: Oh wow it's like the books
Season 2+3: Oh well I guess they had to cut a few characters and storylines out, it's still great though
Season 4: Something terribly is going on
Season 5+6: No don't do this
Season 7: [silent screams]

From what I've heard Season 8 is even worse.

ecco

Veteran Member
Season 1: Oh wow it's like the books
Season 2+3: Oh well I guess they had to cut a few characters and storylines out, it's still great though
Season 4: Something terribly is going on
Season 5+6: No don't do this
Season 7: [silent screams]

From what I've heard Season 8 is even worse.
I've thoroughly enjoyed all 7 seasons. Perhaps, if I read the books, I would agree with you.

Flankerl

Well of course you can enjoy them. There is just a steep decline in quality after Season 4.
Most notably in dialogue but everything else too.
The Dorne plot was absolutely ridiculous.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
So you enjoyed Theon's captivity, degradation, & trans surgery?
Ew.

I didn't like that part either, although Ramsay got his comeuppance.

Although, Theon was pretty much a despicable slimeball, too.

I've gotten to the point where I'm rooting for the White Walkers to win.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

Celebrate human depravity? Not really, more like exposes it. Its honest in that way at the very least. It shows the ugly side humanity. The lies, lust, murder, greed, and cruelty that everyone is guilty of but refuse to acknowledge.

Plus it's got dragons!

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I don't think so.

It looks rather like a contemplation of human nature and all that it entails to me.

Much like Tolkien's work is linguistically impressive, the world of the Song of Ice and Fire is remarkably authentic from an anthropological perspective.

It shows quite a lot of depravity, but it does not condone it. Rather, it accepts it as a part of human society and does not attempt to overlook it.

There is also a lot of growth and constructive sacrifice in the series, as well as simple loss and regret.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I didn't like that part either, although Ramsay got his comeuppance.

Although, Theon was pretty much a despicable slimeball, too.

I've gotten to the point where I'm rooting for the White Walkers to win.
Bad Stevicus!
Bad bad bad Stevicus!

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Really, it's a glorified soap opera...like so many shows...

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
If you’ve never eaten a steak Mignon it’s quite dishonest to give a review on it, one way or the other.
And glorify? It shows human depravity, unflinchingly and honestly. If one watches the show and gets off on it, that says far more about the person than it does the show.
It’s like watching ads for Shindler’s List and being like “OMG it’s celebrating the depravity of Hitler’s final solution!! A pox on that movie. A pox!!”

What is it they says about judging books by their covers?

Granted it is still up to subjective taste whether one enjoys watching the show or reading the books.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
There is depravity, but also the fierce and undying (literally in the books) mother's love for her children, unyielding honor, wit and charm, and large heaping amounts of humanity in all the good and bad that entails. And it's overall fairly realistic. It's not the sugar coated good guys win and are safe world that Hollywood makes, alliances come and go, people are in it for themselves, but for some honor is everything, there is the youthful zeal for honor, and some characters are remarkably moral for "their time" (such as Tyrion, who refused to bed Sansa after they were forcefully wed into a very bad and extremely awkward marriage).
Overall, it's actually pretty soap-opera-y.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
Almost nobody in this tale has any redeeming value at all; it's as if almost everyone is a villain in one way or another. It's kind of refreshing when you don't have such blatantly black-and-white heroes and villains. That may be part of the appeal.
If you didn't put 'almost' in there, I would've ripped you a new one for calling Sansa a villain.:mad:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Granted it is still up to subjective taste whether one enjoys watching the show or reading the books.
Yup. I can get why someone may not want to watch it. But it's brutally realistic about human motives and behaviors. It's not sweetened like TV shows and movies very typically are. It's not all bad, but ultimately humans are still animals who are prone to sometimes shedding their "civility" and becoming a beast.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Yup. I can get why someone may not want to watch it. But it's brutally realistic about human motives and behaviors. It's not sweetened like TV shows and movies very typically are. It's not all bad, but ultimately humans are still animals who are prone to sometimes shedding their "civility" and becoming a beast.
My only real issue with the series is HBO’s juvenile approach to sex. But to fair, that’s my issue with American “cable channels” in general. They’re like kids in a candy store who’s just been given 100 bucks by a rather irresponsible elder.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
My only real issue with the series is HBO’s juvenile approach to sex. But to fair, that’s my issue with American “cable channels” in general. They’re like kids in a candy store who’s just been given 100 bucks by a rather irresponsible elder.
The sex seems failry realistically portrayed as well. It's hit or miss on how much of a crime rape is and if it's even a punishable offense or not, reproduction is top priority (especially for royal families), men can more or less do what they want in pursuit of obtaining sexual pleasure, and sex for love really isn't much of a thing (as coupling for love itself wasn't a thing). You even get varying degrees of acceptance and tolerance of homosexuality and ******* children.