• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Game of Likes

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Sometime today read a thread and posts from people you dislike. Then give them a high five for a post you dislike. Maybe it's for how they presented their argument? Maybe it's how they counteracted someone else's argument? Or maybe it's not self-focused but more giving someone the "hug" even when you think they don't deserve it. Don't worry. They won't know its you.

I got this from two things, actually. One is from this goal app called StickK. When filling out your contract, you can use money incentives for your goal. If you loose the money, you can choose where you want that money to go-say to an "anti-charity", an organization purpose you dislike. The other less drastic was years ago when one anti-religious members here complimented a well known RF Evangelist on his argument without needing to agree with the argument in order to comment on how it was presented.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I often give likes to posts that I disagree with in whole or part. I usually do so on the grounds that I like how well they articulate their point of view or how intellectually honest they strike me as being. But I'm a rank poser compared to @Rival. She does that sort of thing five times more often than I do. At least five times more often. Ain't no one on this board more likely to like a post she disagrees with than Rival. At least, so far as I know. It's quite admirable.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Sometime today read a thread and posts from people you dislike. Then give them a high five for a post you dislike. Maybe it's for how they presented their argument? Maybe it's how they counteracted someone else's argument? Or maybe it's not self-focused but more giving someone the "hug" even when you think they don't deserve it. Don't worry. They won't know its you.

I got this from two things, actually. One is from this goal app called StickK. When filling out your contract, you can use money incentives for your goal. If you loose the money, you can choose where you want that money to go-say to an "anti-charity", an organization purpose you dislike. The other less drastic was years ago when one anti-religious members here complimented a well known RF Evangelist on his argument without needing to agree with the argument in order to comment on how it was presented.
I won't like a comment i really dislike. It's lying and it may be against rule #9 (abuse of rating). And frubes are not anonymous.
I do however often "like" posts I respond to which also often means that I'm not OK with the content and have to oppose, clarify or expand on what was said.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I won't like a comment i really dislike. It's lying and it may be against rule #9 (abuse of rating). And frubes are not anonymous.
I do however often "like" posts I respond to which also often means that I'm not OK with the content and have to oppose, clarify or expand on what was said.

Unless you tell RF staff you broke rule #9, I'm not sure how it would hurt to "like" someone based on the criteria and others I mentioned in my OP.

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member
Unless you tell RF staff you broke rule #9, I'm not sure how it would hurt to "like" some based on the criteria and others I mentioned in my OP.
Is it wrong to commit a crime if you don't get caught?
And even if it doesn't break the rules, it still would feel like lying.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Is it wrong to commit a crime if you don't get caught?
And even if it doesn't break the rules, it still would feel like lying.

Well, it depends on you, though. If the post actually met the criteria in the OP or similar like ones, then it wouldn't be abusing it. It just means that other people are worthy of likes without reservation.

As for you feeling you're are lying, the OP isn't asking you to lie. It's just a suggestion/game that if you like a post for how it's presented, for example, even if you disagree with the content, maybe "like it."

I'm sure RF staff won't warn people on posts other people like. I heard in the grapevine years ago that we suggested "dislikes." It was overruled because "that" option would be overused.

Who says too much sunshine is a bad thing? It's your choice.

Heyo

Veteran Member
As for you feeling you're are lying, the OP isn't asking you to lie. It's just a suggestion/game that if you like a post for how it's presented, for example, even if you disagree with the content, maybe "like it.
I already do rate with a ratio of about 4:1 outgoing:incoming. (And have a relative high rating/post number.) I think rating any more would also devalue my usual appreciation.
I applaud your intention to motivate people to see more the positive in the posts they read and I like the validation I get from my ratings but I prefer them to be honest.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I already do rate with a ratio of about 4:1 outgoing:incoming. (And have a relative high rating/post number.) I think rating any more would also devalue my usual appreciation.
I applaud your intention to motivate people to see more the positive in the posts they read and I like the validation I get from my ratings but I prefer them to be honest.

Please re-read the OP.

MNoBody

sounds like a great exercise in misdirection....useful for counter-intelligence work....

MNoBody

on other forums i have seen, the like or thanks function was used to let people know that they weren't being ignored.... but it is a dynamic that evolves or doesn't

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Sometime today read a thread and posts from people you dislike. Then give them a high five for a post you dislike.

Maybe it's for how they presented their argument?

Maybe it's how they counteracted someone else's argument?

Or maybe it's not self-focused but more giving someone the "hug" even when you think they don't deserve it.

Don't worry. They won't know its you.

....The other less drastic was years ago when one anti-religious members here complimented a well known RF Evangelist on his argument

...without needing to agree with the argument in order to comment on how it was presented.

Please reread my post. Unfortunetly, I can't always
draw conclusions for you guys to debate about especially since this wasn't that kind of post.

Or you guys just like negativity. I don't know. (In denial, I guess)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
How about we focus on being more thoughtful and generous with our likes?

Well, if you feel you can't find something you like in a post you disagree with, then don't like it. I am fortunate to find posts where I really distaste the comment, even more the subject matter, but how they presented the argument or rebuttal was like art. So, I liked it. Didn't hurt me. I wasn't lying. I just put my ego aside and said "I see something good" and pointed it out. How many of us say we can do this in person when we can't even think about it online.