• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gaia? Find it irritating?

Electra

Does anyone else find the term Gaia irritating?
Seams to be 'the trend' to talk about 'Gaia'?

It really makes me flinch every time I hear it ...

If I would name the earth it would be Tarah,,,

but idk Gaia just annoys me, maybe because it is a trend idk

anyone else feel this way?
anyone else call our home something else?

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Not really. I don't hear it very often at all. We must just move in very different circles.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic

Why? Gaia is ancient Greek for 'Earth'. Also, why 'Tarah'?

Electra

Why? Gaia is ancient Greek for 'Earth'. Also, why 'Tarah'?

I know, I know.
That's why I was seeing if anyone else felt this way, cause it has gotten stronger and I gotsta stop having a reaction to it.
I know i said it a couple times but I think it's the same reason why I can't stand 'love & light' anymore, it is something that people seem to say to sound spiritual.

and She whispered the name to me, I like it.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
I know, I know.
That's why I was seeing if anyone else felt this way, cause it has gotten stronger and I gotsta stop having a reaction to it.
I know i said it a couple times but I think it's the same reason why I can't stand 'love & light' anymore, it is something that people seem to say to sound spiritual.

So you think it's something that is overdone and sounds quite cliché? I can dig that.

and She whispered the name to me, I like it.

Interesting; Tarah does sound a lot like 'Terra' which was Earth's name in Latin. Frankly, I would just use 'Earth Mother', 'the Mother' or 'Great Earth Mother' for naming her since I speak English.

I have a tendency to use 'Gaia' more when referring to the goddess but now that I think on it this is a result of modern thinking: secularising a concept and removing any religious connotations. And it doesn't make a lot of sense since 'Gaia' is just 'Earth' in another language and when I speak of 'Earth' or 'Gaia', I really mean the same thing.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Is Gaia in the Urantia Book? Actually I just did an internet search and they are used interchangeably by some people: Gaia/Urantia. So if you don't like Gaia you might say Urantia instead.

David T

Premium Member

The mythological name was revived in 1979 by James Lovelock, in Gaia: A New Look at Life on Earth; his Gaia hypothesis was supported by Lynn Margulis. The hypothesis proposes that living organisms and inorganic material are part of a dynamical system that shapes the Earth's biosphere, and maintains the Earth as a fit environment for life. In some Gaia theory approaches, the Earth itself is viewed as an organism with self-regulatory functions. Further books by Lovelock and others popularized the Gaia Hypothesis, which was embraced to some extent by New Age environmentalists as part of the heightened awareness of environmental concernsof the 1990s.

Maybe it's the new ageishness that you don't like? I find the new age anti patriarchal Co equally as clueless as the traditional anti matriarchal of traditional religion. That is a fascinating dysfunctionalism in culture.

DavidFirth

I used to hear that a lot when I was a small child. I even thought that Gaia was just another word for nature or the spirit of nature.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I used to hear that a lot when I was a small child. I even thought that Gaia was just another word for nature or the spirit of nature.
That's pretty close. Gaia is usually referred to as the spirit force or the energy of the Earth. It has a new agey connotation with it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I can probably relate. I get the same reaction whenever I hear the term vaping.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
That's how it always seemed to me.
Not the whole earth, but rather the part we actually live in. More like the anthropomorphising of the biosphere, the living part.
Tom

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I don't care for it either. I usually skip resources that use that word. I like the word earth.

Electra

So you think it's something that is overdone and sounds quite cliché? I can dig that.

Interesting; Tarah does sound a lot like 'Terra' which was Earth's name in Latin. Frankly, I would just use 'Earth Mother', 'the Mother' or 'Great Earth Mother' for naming her since I speak English.

I have a tendency to use 'Gaia' more when referring to the goddess but now that I think on it this is a result of modern thinking: secularising a concept and removing any religious connotations. And it doesn't make a lot of sense since 'Gaia' is just 'Earth' in another language and when I speak of 'Earth' or 'Gaia', I really mean the same thing.

Yea, I guess so,

Omgolly, I love it, terror! who knows it may have even been that (terra), sometimes my mind twists what I am told because of perception and I really really like green tara ...

good observation!

Electra

The mythological name was revived in 1979 by James Lovelock, in Gaia: A New Look at Life on Earth; his Gaia hypothesis was supported by Lynn Margulis. The hypothesis proposes that living organisms and inorganic material are part of a dynamical system that shapes the Earth's biosphere, and maintains the Earth as a fit environment for life. In some Gaia theory approaches, the Earth itself is viewed as an organism with self-regulatory functions. Further books by Lovelock and others popularized the Gaia Hypothesis, which was embraced to some extent by New Age environmentalists as part of the heightened awareness of environmental concernsof the 1990s.

Maybe it's the new ageishness that you don't like? I find the new age anti patriarchal Co equally as clueless as the traditional anti matriarchal of traditional religion. That is a fascinating dysfunctionalism in culture.

Yea, that is a good study. And it also can clue that we are not just 'parasites' as some think, but a help to transition her into higher dimensions as we help transmute energies ^.^, SHE'S ALIVE

Yea, maybe, but i guess I am pretty 'new age' to some, it is so broad, LOL totally agree, been clueing in on who is actually pushing the 'feminism' movement aswell and of cause it is older men mostly for there agenda to keep dividing!