• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gabby Petito’s death and Brian Laundrie

We Never Know

No Slack
Why has this case took center stage in national and local news everywhere but other cases aren't even ran on the news twice

I'm a long ways from Florida, Long Island and Wyoming but its even in my local news daily.

They near had an army looking for her and now have near an army looking for him.

I'm sorry for her family and hope they catch him if he killed her but.....

Did I miss something somewhere that this case warrants more attention than most any other case?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Why has this case took center stage in national and local news everywhere but other cases aren't even ran on the news twice

I'm a long ways from Florida, Long Island and Wyoming but its even in my local news daily.

They near had an army looking for her and now have near an army looking for him.

Did I miss something somewhere that this case warrants more attention than most any other case?
This case has even reached the news in Norway, and as far as I understand she was a blogger of some sort that many people followed. so maybe that is why it has become a world news :confused:
No matter what, it is a tragic situation for her family.

74x12

People love to have beautiful actors and actresses in their favorite movies and tv shows. They love to have beautiful news anchors and reporters. In which case why would they be surprised that the media focuses on a beautiful girl going missing and ignores the other people who are missing? It should be no surprise to anyone. It's our media. We made it what it is.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The facts are simple.

The characters are young, white, middle class.

The implied violence to a woman is topical.

The apparent villain has run away so there's a chase.

There's no present resolution.

There's a big audience who'll read a tale with a simple outline like that.

HonestJoe

I wouldn't say "warrants" as such but the is a range of factors that influence how much media attention something like this gets which don't directly relate to the severity or significance of the case itself. The key thing to remember is that the media is an industry and their focus is making money. They don't make money by reporting the most important stories, they make money by reporting the most eye-catching and attention-grabbing stories.

Here there was a combination of young and relatively attractive victim and suspect and a lot of quality pictures and video of both of them freely available for the media to use. Pictures (and increasingly video in the internet era) is much cheaper and easier than text to fill copy and grab attention.

There is the factor that this started as a search for a missing person (but already with suspicious circumstances) which meant that the authorities had an interest in giving the media information early on and gave it an on-going element with multiple articles. There were also several different aspects involved, with the search, the suspicion around the boyfriend, his actions and whereabouts and then, sadly, the discovery of the body.

I believe there was also an element of her family (understandably) pushing the profile of the case, something not all families have the resources, ability or desire (for good reasons or bad) to achieve.

There is also an element of timing and what else is happening and being reported at the time. I suspect the media are more interested in running something, anything, that isn't about COVID at the moment. At other times and in the context of other events, this case could have easily not caught anything like as much attention as it did. It's often as much blind luck as anything else.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

It's a puzzler. Her situation isn't unique at all.

Maybe because it's still ongoing and active.